Sequel: Runaway Kat
Status: read the sequelll

Fat Kat

Promise

Katerina Jacobs:
Ravendidn’t have any fancy clothes, so I let her borrow one of my dresses, considering we were the same size. She wanted a black dress though, which was fine- I had plenty. I stuck with a dark blue dress. They weren’t formal dresses; they were casual/smart; which we were instructed to dress up in. We weren’t particularly thrilled to have to dress up for the twerps, but this was for my parents to I’d have to get use to it.

And that’s when the doorbell rung.

We gulped, and watched as our parents opened the door and greeted the guests. We let out a long breath as our eyes met the twins Shane and Samantha Abbots who were in our year at school. Needless to say we didn’t get along. Well, Shane never actually taunted me, but you could never tell with these people. Samantha however was one of the cruellest people in school; apart from the obvious few. She followed Gaskarth around. She honestly must have thought he was royalty- it scared me.

She scowled at me and looked away, while Shane smiled softly at Raven and I. Samantha and Shane looked similar. They both had beautiful blonde hair, and these stunning vivid green eyes. She was slim and curvy however, whereas he was rather muscular- not too much muscle, not too little either.

Next was the Anderson’s; with their only child Susie. She was a sophomore, and a little cutie to say the least. Her brown eyes sparkled with excitement and innocence, and her thick, chocolate brown hair was wavy and shiny.

After them, the Dawson’s arrived with Rian and Kara. They smiled warmly, and even gave us hugs; before setting off in deep conversation. Rian told Raven and I about how he met Kara and where he took her on their first date and stuff- it was beautiful. Then he told us about his band with Alex, Jack and the boy from Towson High School- Zack. He spoke of his best friends so fondly, you’d think that Jack and Alex actually were nice, I wasn’t fooled.

Gaskarth came next. Oozing with confidence- until his eyes landed on Raven. His composure seemed to fail momentarily as he took in her dress and the way it fitted perfectly around her curves. The way she smiled and laughed as Rian said something funny. The way her hands flew around wildly as she tried to describe something. He smiled, until he caught me looking and immediately scowled. I smirked triumphantly.

Of course Gaskarth had a weak spot. Nobody was that perfect.

Literally the minute they walked in, The Barakat’s came, with Jack and his little brother. His little brother found Susie, and started chilling with her. They were in the same year after all, and they seemed to get on like clockwork.

Jack and Alex started up conversation, and took frequent glances at Raven and I. I frowned. I wonder what they were talking about. Once Rian joined them, they changed tune and didn’t look over once.

Kara was absolutely lovely. She couldn’t hurt a fly; and her smile lit up the room. Her love for Rian was strong and unstoppable, and I knew that if I had a fraction of the amount of love they share; I’d be one of the happiest girls alive.

Samantha was all over Alex, and it didn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that Raven was jealous. Alex was flirting majorly with Samantha, and it hurt her to say the least. “He’s a jerk Raven, ignore it alright?” She nodded slowly. “It’s because her hair is curly. He always said he liked curly hair better on a girl.” I smirked. Dinner wasn’t going to be ready for another half an hour. “Come, I’ll curl your hair. He won’t know what’s hit him.” I told her, but she shook her head. “He’ll know what we’re doing-” I cut her off by dragging her to my mum. “Mum, don’t you think Raven’s hair would look absolutely beautiful curled?” I said loud enough for Alex to hear. “Hmm... Actually, I think it would more than beautiful! It would look extravagant!” She declared. I smiled at Raven, and dragged her inside and up the stairs.

Half an hour later, we stepped outside once again, and everyone gasped. “Goodness Raven, you’re hair is absolutely beautiful!” Mrs. Gaskarth gushed. She blushed, and returned a thank you quietly. Alex’s eyes had bulged out of head, and Samantha was no longer important, and she could tell his interests were now elsewhere.

He made a bee-line for Raven, and I left her too it. I looked back to see they were talking intently. Raven was acting cool and casual, showing him what he was missing. “You did that on purpose, didn’t you?” A sexy, husky voice spoke behind me. I didn’t need to look; I knew who it was.

“I didn’t do anything.” I replied innocently, as Jack stood beside me. “Why are you talking to me?” I asked. He shrugged. “Seemed like the polite thing to do.” He replied. I frowned. “Jack Barakat polite? Yeah, and my parents are aliens.” I spoke sarcastically. “Believe it or not, I didn’t want to be mean to you Katerina. I just followed what Alex did-”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah. Do us all a favour and grow a backbone. That excuse it getting pretty pathetic.” I snapped angrily. “Doesn’t mean it’s any less honest though, does it?” He attacked back. “You know what Baratwat? If you’re so up Alex’s ass, then what are you doing talking to me now when he clearly still hates me?” I hissed. “He doesn’t hate you. He has never hated you. It’s just he’s really insecure so he...- fuck.” He cursed, saying too much.

“No carry on, conversation just got interesting.” I mused. “I may be a chicken Katerina- but I don’t grass up my best friends.” He said, narrowing his eyes slightly. “No, you just follow them when they do really nasty things and ruin people’s lives.” I said bluntly. “Like I said, I’m not a nasty person; and I’m sure even Raven will tell you that. I never had any friends before Alex, and I’m not going to lose him because I won’t do the things he does.” He said boldly.

“Why are you even telling me this? Do I look like I care?” I said with no hint of happiness in my voice. He shrugged once again. “I’m just trying to say... I’m sorry, for all the things I put you through over the years.”

“An apology won’t cut it, you know that right?” I replied and he nodded. “I know... But I’m a determined guy, I won’t give up.”

“You’ll be trying for a long time.”

“Is that a challenge?”

“If you see it that way. But you won’t accomplish it.”

“We’ll see.” He said, before walking off.

“Yeah, we will.” I whispered.

My heart was racing. I’d never spoken to Jack before, and I never realised that I still liked him even after years of trying to reduce my feelings to nothing. He was determined to be my friend, and he was going to beg for my forgiveness; because he actually was genuinely sorry for what he put me through.

“Hey! Guess what I just did!” Raven exclaimed gleefully. “What?” I planted a smile on my face. “I just showed Alex what he was missing!” She whispered, giggling slightly. “Did he ask you out?” I gasped. She nodded vigorously. “But... I said no!” She said quietly, and I had to laugh. “I want him to change his ways, and I said that. He said he can’t; so I said no... Then he started to beg.” She emphasised the word beg, and I snorted with laughter.

“Anyway, saw you and Barakat talking?” She wiggled her eyebrows. “Apparently he’s a determined guy.” She nodded again. “Believe me, when that boy sets his mind on what he wants, he doesn’t quit until he’s done what he set out to do. He may be a follower, but he’s not a quitter.” I groaned. He wasn’t lying. Crap.

“Why?” She said curiously. “He’s trying to make me forgive him.” Her eyes lit up. “Serious? Wow, he’s never done that before.” Her mouth formed a small ‘o’. I frowned. “Please, when Jack says he’s sorry, that’s all he’ll do; he won’t do anymore until you finally relent and accept the apology. It seems with you, he’s actually trying.” She raised an eyebrow. My palms sweated nervously. Why was he trying to get me to forgive me? “Weird...” I chuckled nervously.

We took our seats. I sat opposite Raven; who had Shane beside her. They were chatting away aimlessly, as Alex glared hatefully at him. Kara sat next to me, and opposite Shane. And then, unfortunately for me, Alex sat the other side of Raven meaning that Jack sat beside me. Rian took the other seat beside Kara, and Samantha sat beside her twin and opposite Rian. Susie and Jack’s brother were with the parents.

Samantha was glaring at Raven, so I hatefully glared back. She looked at me and immediately stopped because she knew I meant business. I smiled at that. I felt eyes on me, and saw Jack blatantly staring at me. “Staring issue?” I hissed quietly. “Nope.” He replied, popping the ‘p’. “Yes? You keep staring. Stop it. It’s annoying.” He flicked his dark hair with the blonde streaks in it, and damn he looked sexy.

“I was born annoying babe.”

“Don’t call me that Baratwat.”

“What?”

“You know what freak.”

“Nope, I’m completely oblivious as to what you’re talking about.”

“Babe?”

“Aw Katerina; no need to call me that. You know I’m yours.”

He winked, and I blushed profusely. “You’re such a turd!” I declared. “Why can’t you just call me Jack?” He asked suddenly. “I don’t want to... Idiot.”

“These names hurt.”

“You called me ‘Fat Kat’ for two years; you don’t know the meaning of the word hurt.”

His eyes showed an overwhelming amount of guilt, but I kept strong. “I said I was sorry.” He mumbled. “And I told you it would take more than an apology.”

“And I told you that I wouldn’t give up.”

“Why are we having this conversation?”

“Because we want to! Because we want to!” He replied, quoting Billie Piper’s song. My mouth dropped open, before I burst into hysterical fits of laughter. Once I calmed myself down, I looked at him to see he was smiling goofily. “This doesn’t mean you’re forgiven... Douche.”

“No, but it means I’m reaching it.”

Once food was on our plates, our conversation came to an end. Alex and Raven were still sending subtle glances at each other, and each time they caught each other’s eyes, they’d blush in surprise and let a small smile rise to their lips.

It would be cute, if the boy in question wasn’t Alex Gaskarth.

Once we’d raced through all our food courses, we headed back inside, where we all just chilled or chatted. Raven was off talking to Shane; obviously to try and make Alex jealous; which worked because he was blatantly staring at them both angrily as Samantha tried digging her claws back into Alex. It was amusing me beyond belief; and apparently I wasn’t the only one who thought this. Rian and Kara thought the same too. “It was his entire fault for losing her,” Kara started. “He should learn to treat others with more respect; then maybe she’d consider taking him back.” Rian finished.

“They were together a good 6 months. She held out as long as possible; but she just couldn’t take how horrible he was to others.” I gasped. “6 months?!” I exclaimed. “And did they...?” I trailed off, but they caught on and both nodded quickly. I gasped again. Alex and Raven had sex? And he’s still after her? “He must love her...” I said quietly. “More than you know.” Jack cut in, hearing what we were talking about.

“Well he should consider changing his ways.” I snapped. “Maybe she should be more considerate.” He snapped back. “MORE considerate? Have you met her?!” I shot back.

“She broke his heart- that’s not considerate!”

“He hurts people every day, and he broke her heart by doing that! So good on her!”

Jack grabbed my arm and yanked me out of the living room, up the stairs and into my bedroom. “What have I done to you to hate me THIS much?!” He shouted. “It wouldn’t take a rocket scientist to figure that one out!”

“It wasn’t even me the majority of the time!”

“Yeah, thus the reason I hate Alex more than you!”

“Oh well that’s a relief.”

“Don’t get sarcastic with me; you’re the one in the wrong here!”

“How am I in the wrong here? All I’ve been is nice since I got here-”

“Since I turned skinny don’t you mean?!”

“What?”

“Oh please, if I was fat you wouldn’t be talking to me right now. All you care about are looks!”

“Looks are an important basis! Tell me, if I was ugly, would you give me the time of day?”

His question caught me completely off guard. He was right; if he was ugly I wouldn’t care about him. I wouldn’t like him like I do if he was ugly. I faltered, and my mouth opened and closed like a fishes. He knew he was right, and smirked triumphantly. I suddenly knew what to say.

“If you were ugly, I would have never ever, treated you the way you treated me. You made me hate myself; you made me feel unworthy of anyone’s presence. I wanted to commit suicide, I was so unhappy. You and Alex pushed me to the point where I left school and lost lots of weight; just so you’d leave me alone.” I whispered, and he fell silent.

“Katerina-”

“So save me your excuses, they’re all fake.” I felt the tears welling up in my eyes.

“You can’t begin to understand how sorry I am.” He whispered.

“I don’t forgive you.”

“I wouldn’t expect you to. But I’m going to do all it takes to make it up to you.”

“You can give me back two years of my life?”

“No...”

“Then you can’t.” The tears fell down my cheek, and he brushed his thumbs across them to wipe them away. “But I’m going to try; I’m going to give it my all Katerina; that’s a Jack-Attack promise.”