Sequel: Runaway Kat
Status: read the sequelll

Fat Kat

The Deal

Katerina Jacobs:
The next day I’d tried my hardest to avoid Jack. In the hallways if I saw him I’d duck behind lockers until he walked by; or I’d jump into classrooms. Lunch time I knew I’d have to see him. Alex wasn’t in today, so his group all seemed a little lost, including Jack.

My eyes fell on Raven, who was surrounded by Samantha and her posy. And that ticked me off. Jack noticed where I was standing, and managed to get there before me. I walked over just as Jack started raising his voice. “Leave her alone, Samantha.” He was keeping his voice as calm as possible. She laughed in face. “Oh yeah? What can you do Barakat? You’re just Alex’s shadow.” She sneered, and her posy laughed.

It was definitely the wrong thing to say.

“Get the fuck away from her. NOW!” He growled angrily; and she took a step back, looking very frightened. “BOOM sit the fuck down.” I laughed nastily. Samantha did as she was told; she sat as far away from us as possible. “Thanks Jack... I’ve never seen you so...” Raven started. “Angry? In control?” He laughed. “Yeah them...” She laughed alongside him. He turned to walk away, but he locked eyes with me first.

“It takes more than that.”

“I gathered as much.”

He sighed, and walked back to his seat; the whole of the school now staring at him. It wasn’t like Jack to stand up to someone when Alex wasn’t around. They all suddenly knew something was up with him, and I knew what.

It was me.

Alex Gaskarth:

As usual, once school was finished; I rang Jack. I wasn’t in school today because I couldn’t face Raven. The girl I’d been hopelessly in love with since I met her. She rejected me again at Katerina’s house; and I knew she wouldn’t take me back until I changed; and I just couldn’t seem to do it. Now with Kat being her best friend, she was never going to back down and accept my ways.

Kat hated me with a passion, and I didn’t blame her. I treated her like crap when I knew I shouldn’t have, but I couldn’t help it. I was insecure beyond belief; and I always took it out on other people as a form of relief. It was stupid, but it helped me deal with things. Since my brother’s death, I just couldn’t seem to cope without insulting people. She was always there, and I picked on her.

She left, and I had to find a new target. Well, that’s when I met Raven Jones. She was different from other girls, she didn’t chuck herself at me; she made me work to score a date with her. She made me feel happy inside, happier than I’d been in ages. And sex with her wasn’t just sex- and I don’t care if this sounds gay... I considered it making love. Because I was so madly in love with her; still am. People began to see a change; but with this change my popularity was sliding away.

I started to panic when people got rude to me in the corridors; so suddenly my cruel demeanour returned. In turn, this made Raven start to slip away. She was unimpressed with my old personality. She held on, praying that one day I’d change back to the Alex she knew and loved- but with no hope. So in the end, she dumped me. It was the hardest thing she ever had to do she told me, but she did it anyway because she couldn’t take the humiliating taunts I threw at people who didn’t deserve it.

I had to keep up reputation, so I told everyone I dumped her because she was frigid. The tears in her eyes as people started taunting her made me want to run over to her and hug and kiss the pain away, but I couldn’t. Jack called me an idiot; and I agreed with him. So I stopped taunting her. But others carried on; and they wouldn’t stop. I’d lost someone truly amazing through my own stupid ways. I didn’t deserve her.

I sighed and ran a hand through my dishevelled hair; before pressing my phone to my ear. “Sup baby-cakes.” Jack’s voice said through the receiver. “Hey gorgeous; good day without me?” I asked. “Alex... I couldn’t live without you today. I felt like I was living in a world with no air. I need you by my side always.” I laughed. “Oh baby, I love you.” He gasped. “Alex I love you too! Now come to my yard so I can penetrate your anus! I’m gagging for it.” By this time I was on the floor in hysterics. This boy never failed to cheer me up. He was my best friend. This guy meant a lot to me- no homo.

“All seriousness now; anything big happen today?” He was quiet for a minute before replying. “Samantha tried verbally hurting Raven today.” Anger boiled in my blood. That girl would pay for it, just watch. “But it’s ok, I stood up for her.” That caught me off guard. Jack never stands up for anyone or even himself... He fears it. “You did what?” I asked. “I told her to get the fuck away from her. She looked really scared- it was classic!” He exclaimed happily. My mouth gaped open. “But... You never stand up for yourself or others...” I said feebly; and he giggled childishly. “I know! It felt amazing!” He exclaimed. “I’m so proud of you.” I said sincerely, and he laughed. “Thanks man. But seriously, come to my house. I miss my Alex-fix. I’m sort of dying.” Then something clicked.

“You like Jacobs; don’t you?” He fell deadly quiet for a while. “Jack? Dude? Jack!” I shouted. “How did you...?” He trailed off. “You’re my best friend Jack.” Was my answer. “I do like her Alex; but she wants nothing to do with me because of what we done to her.” He said sadly, and I felt remorseful. Because of my doing, my best friend couldn’t get the girl he wanted. “What is it you like about her mate?” He suddenly perked up. “I love her fiery attitude. I’ve always loved that on a girl. She stands up for herself and others, she’s beautiful, she’s smart; she’s witty, funny... I mean I liked the qualities she had from the ones I listed because she’s only recently become feisty; but I wasn’t psychically attracted to her you know? But now she’s slimmed down and done something with her hair; she possess’ everything which draws me to her.”

I ran a hand through my hair, thinking of ways to sort this for him. “Do you hate her, Alex?” He asked. “No I don’t. But old habits are hard to break you know?” I sighed. “Would you try? For me I mean?” He asked weakly. I thought about it. Would I be able to stop insulting Katerina Jacobs? I’d been doing it for years... But I guess I could do it for Jack... and Raven. Jack and Raven, the two who meant the world to me. “I could try buddy.” He squealed happily. “Thanks babes! When you going to get here?” He asked. I slammed my front door. “About half an hour.” I replied. “Good. See you soon you sexy beast!” He declared. His mum must think he’s gay. “See you soon you beautiful monster.” We hung up.

I didn’t head straight to his house. I took a detour, and was standing outside Katerina’s house. I took in a deep breath and knocked on the door. She answered; and narrowed her eyes. “What the hell are you doing here?” She murmured darkly. “We need to talk about Jack; can I come in?” I asked. “Pfft no.” She stepped outside and shut the door behind her. “If he’s not dead or critically injured, God knows why you’re here.” She muttered. “He likes you.” I stated bluntly, and she blinked in surprise.

“Is this some sort of sick trick Gaskank? Because I swear to God, if it is; you’ve sunk to an all time low.” I had to laugh at that. “All Time Low is my band’s name.” She didn’t look amused. “Right, back to Jack. No, I don’t joke when it comes to how my best friend feels. I’m not that heartless.” She rolled her eyes. “I’ll believe it when I see it.” I sighed. This was going to be hard. “Did you know he didn’t notice you because of your weight?” That caught her attention. “What are you on about freak?” She asked. “He told me he likes your fiery attitude. The way you put others before yourself, the way you protect yourself and others. He thinks you’re smart, funny, witty... But he wasn’t psychically attracted to you. Trust me, that’s important in the Barakat family. But since you lost all that weight and did something with your hair; he hasn’t ever been more attracted to you.”

She raised an eyebrow. “I won’t believe this, until he tells me himself. Until then; what you just said was complete and utter bull-shit. Do you honestly think I’d believe you after the way you treated me over the years?” She asked, and I saw where she was coming from. “Fine; hear it from him. The other reason I came here was to offer a truce.” I grumbled. Her eyebrows rose even further. “I didn’t realise we were at war?” She joked, but I looked at her seriously. “Look. You don’t like me. But I’m doing this for Jack and...” I gulped the lump in my throat. “And...?” She asked. “And Raven.” I finished quickly. Her eyes softened briefly.

“What’s the point?” She asked curiously. “Because believe it or not, my best friend and my girl- um, Raven; mean a lot to me.” She narrowed her eyes slightly at my mistake. It wasn’t my fault that I wanted Raven to be my girlfriend again, true say that it was my fault that I lost her though.

“Fine... Deal.” She stuck her hand out, and I shook it. “No more insults from now? We act... Normal-ish?” She asked. I nodded slowly. “Yes; deal... Kat.” It sounded awkward trying to speak to her normally. “It was nice of you- um, to have stopped by... Alex.” She scratched the back of her neck; obviously feeling the awkwardness. “I should go...” I started walking off. “Yeah... Bye...” She said slowly, before turning away. “Wait! Don’t tell anyone about the deal ok?” I said, and she nodded, before heading back inside. I smirked in accomplishment, before heading towards my best friend’s house.
♠ ♠ ♠
Writing this, just hurts.