Sequel: Runaway Kat
Status: read the sequelll

Fat Kat

Tree house

Katerina Jacobs:

“Seriously Jack, where are we going?” I asked; as he dragged me by the hand out of school. “We’re bunking school, duh.” He said as if it were a normal thing for him. “What?! No I can’t bunk-” “Relax honey, you’re last lesson got cancelled, some chick told me; she’s in your class. Trust me; I’m the only one bunking here.” He chuckled.

“Don’t call me honey.”

“But you love it though!” He pouted cutely. I rolled my eyes, and he giggled gleefully as I gave up. There wasn’t even a point to the conversation.

We walked deeper and deeper within the forest, and I suddenly became quite anxious. Where the hell were we? Jack suddenly stopped, and I slammed straight into his back. As I started to fall, I braced myself for impact; but it never came. Instead, two warm, long arms snaked around me, saving me from a horrendous fall. Jack looked down at me with an amused grin.

“Thanks.” I muttered reluctantly, before pulling myself out of his grasp; and turned away before he saw my blush. “Where the hell are we?” I asked. “My favourite place in the whole wide world.” He was looking upwards, so my eyes drifted upwards too; and landed on a tree house. “Is that...?” “Mine? Yeah...” He replied sheepishly.

“My dad built it for me when I was little; and every time I was upset; I’d come here and just think or cry it out or something...” He shrugged, and I raised an eyebrow. “Guys don’t cry.” I stated. It was his turn to raise an eyebrow. “Guys cry more than you think, Katerina.” He replied with a goofy smile.

He let me climb the ladder first, and I think it was so he got a nice view of my ass. That didn’t bother me in the slightest; boys will be boys right? I gasped once I got up. It was actually rather nice! Band posters up on the wooden walls, with a large red rug on the floor. It had the odd bean bag here and there, with a battery run CD player with CD’s scattered around it. A sofa was at the back with a small table beside it; and I chuckled when I saw what was on it.

“Someone got lucky.” I laughed, as I twiddled the condom wrapper in my fingers. He blushed and grabbed them; before chucking them in the bin. “I haven’t been here since the middle of junior year... Sorry about that.”

He sat on the sofa with a miserable sigh. “What’s wrong Jack?” I spoke softly, taking a seat beside him. “Sorry, it just bought back horrible memories.” He ran a hand through his hair. “Do you want to talk about it?” I said quietly, rubbing my hand up and down his arm comfortingly. He sighed. “Um... Yeah I do, actually. It started when we went to Towson High School to meet up with Zack our other band mate. It was Rian, Alex and I; and Raven tagged along too. Her and Alex were dating at the time. Anyway he introduced us to his friend, her name was Lisa. God when I first laid eyes on her, I wanted to be with her. She genuinely seemed interested in me, so I eventually asked her out. She was the first girl I ever brought here; and this is where we first... You know.” He bowed his head.

“But things started to go wrong. Raven and Alex broke up; and he fell into a rut. He came into school for like half a day a week and he would sit in his room and drink himself to oblivion. I couldn’t always be there with him; and when I couldn’t; Lisa would.” I didn’t like where this was going. “She... She started hitting on him, and for weeks he shoved her away. He was so drunk he didn’t even know what he was doing! But one night; when he had officially drunk too much, she got her way with him... Alex doesn’t remember a thing; the only thing he remembers is waking up naked beside her before calling me instantly and crying down the phone to me about how sorry and stupid he was. I forgave him; he genuinely didn’t mean to do it... He was so guilty; he even burst into tears again when he saw me next. That’s why the boy is my best friend; he genuinely does care about how I feel. However; Lisa didn’t.” He shook his head distastefully.

“I pretended I didn’t know; to see if Lisa confessed to me... But she didn’t. She pretended that everything was alright; until I finally broke down and told her I knew. I blew up; and ended things, telling her I never wanted to see her again.” He sighed. “She went to Alex after that; but he’d sobered up; and told her to fuck off before slamming the door in her face and calling me once again.” He slumped miserably into the sofa. “Oh Jack...”

“No please; there’s no need to be sympathetic; I’ve learnt from my mistake; it’s fine okay?” He smiled weakly; and I leaned into him and gave him a side hug. His arms snaked slowly around my waist, and he pulled me into him. By the time he’d finished pulling me closer, I was resting on his lap; with him cuddling up to me for comfort. “You’ve been hurt too... I was hurt by people that didn’t mean much to me; you were hurt by someone you loved... I couldn’t imagine what you went through...” I whispered. “Well, imagine someone stabbing you 10 times over in the heart- then multiply it by about 100.” He chuckled dryly.

“It’s fine anyway... I mean, I’m over it now. There’s no point wallowing in the past when there’s so many bright things in my present and future right?” He looked at me with a twinkle in his eye and a dazzling smile; which brought a blush to my cheeks. “I guess you’re right... I guess you’re lucky to experience it at a young age... You could brace yourself for other experiences.” I shrugged. “Lady please, I’ll be the one breaking hearts; not the other way round.” I sceptically rose an eyebrow. “What so you’re some sort of player now?” He shook his head. “I’ve just embraced celibacy; that’s all. It’ll kill girls knowing this.” He said innocently; and I burst into fits of laughter. “With a best friend like Gaskarth; you’ve got no hope of celibacy.” I spoke, finally calming down. He shrugged. “It was worth a joke about though.”

-

“I really enjoyed being with you today Jack.” I spoke honestly, as we walked down the streets towards my home. “And I’ve enjoyed being with you too! I told you I was an awesome guy to be around.” He winked at me, and I giggled. We turned into my drive, and we both stopped outside my front door; just looking at each other. “So I’ll see you at school?” I said, breaking the silence. “Yeah... Maybe now we can even sit together at lunch? Like you and Raven join our table maybe?” He asked hopefully, and I just couldn’t turn down that puppy-dog look he had on his face. “Sure, sounds good.” I beamed, and he pulled me into a tight embrace. “Oh yippee! Well, you’re my new official girl best-friend. Shh, don’t tell Alex. He gets jealous.” He smirked. My heart ached a little. I didn’t want to be his best-friend... I wanted to be- oh God... “I won’t don’t worry.” I laughed, putting on a fake smile. “Well, see you tomorrow!” He said happily, before hugging me once more and skipping off home.

I felt my heart drop down to my feet. They were all wrong. He didn’t like me like that.
Fuck.
♠ ♠ ♠
Half of this was real, the other half was fiction. Breaking hearts non-stop must be a hard job.