Status: Completed!

The Real Story of Heaven and Hell

Light Your Way

I flipped through a generic vampire novel, trying to see if it was worth the fifteen dollars. Probably not. I closed it and put it back on the shelf. I didn’t really like the idea of letting Sera go to the pet shop with just Brian and Zacky, but I wanted to get some books and we didn’t have much time left. Matt was standing at the end of the row keeping an eye on me, and Jimmy was lounging on an armchair by the window. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a flicker of movement.
“Shadows.” I said softly, knowing he could hear me full well. He looked up and moved closer.
“Do you see that flashing?” I asked.
“Yeah. I can’t figure out what it is.” He turned his head towards where Jimmy was sitting. “Rev.” He shot up out of his chair, almost tangling himself in his freakishly long legs.
“What’s wrong?” He asked, coming closer. “Hell Girl getting pissy again?” Any affection he may have garnered by giving me Arabesque had disintegrated quickly. I’d found myself daydreaming about his eyes and a nasty voice in my head reminded me his toast to drunken orgies. Asshole the Angel probably just wanted to get in my pants.
“Let’s just pay for this and go.” I muttered. We were in the farthest corner of the bookstore, a fact that made Matt happy.
Just as we were walking out, an arm snaked around my throat and a hand clamped down over my mouth. I struggled, but whoever was holding me was clearly stronger. I looked up at the tons of books around me and willed for a breeze. I’d learned how to move things with the air this morning, and as my vision slowly started to go black from lack of oxygen, a bunch of books tumbled off the shelf and onto my captor’s head. I leaned against the bookshelf, gasping for air as my guardians came running back.
It was a girl, probably not much older than me, with golden hair and a face like a porcelain doll.
“Rev, get her out of here.” Matt gestured at me. “I’ll get this back to the house.” Jimmy handed me the bag with my purchased books and we walked out in silence.
“She was an angel.” I said softly, breaking the silence. “That’s why she grabbed me.”
“A very high-ranking one.” Jimmy said, using the same soft voice I was. It was bad enough my scar was getting attention; the people walking around us didn’t need to think we thought angels were on earth. Damn it, why’d I wear a tank top? The scar was about an inch long on both sides of my shoulder, and had these horrible bumps not even Sera could fix. I was just glad I hadn’t grabbed a broadsword; otherwise I’d have a severed arm. I shivered at that thought and Jimmy wrapped his arm around my shoulder, pulling me in close against his side. I stiffened up, but relaxed after a moment. Looking all stiff and awkward would draw more attention than if I just let him do it.
“What’s wrong?” Sera was the first to say it when we walked into the pet store.
“Psycho angel tried to choke me.” I shrugged. “Shadows’ taking care of it.” I was kinda curious how he was gonna do that, since Brian had the keys.
“You okay Mulan?” Zacky joked. Man I wish I could hit him. I didn’t mind being called Hell Girl that much, but Mulan just pissed me off.
“You and Chesh ready yet?” I asked Sera, ignoring the green-eyed angel. I’ve gotten pretty good at containing my rage recently, which is why his head isn’t shoved into a hamster wheel right now.
“Yup. Come on, let’s go see if he likes Arabesque.” We piled into the SUV and started the fucking long ass drive home. I can’t even sit next to my sister, because Brian was all over her. Of course, Zacky’s on the other side so I took shotgun next to Jimmy.
“Ninety nine bottles of beer on the wall, ninety nine bottles of beer. Take one down, pass it around, ninety eight bottles of beer on the wall.” My singing sucks, but I sing anyway. Just to piss people off.
“I will pull this car over and kick you out if you don’t stop singing that.” Jimmy said, not even looking at me.
“Douche bag.” I muttered, settling back into the seat. A heartbeat later, I knew what song to use next. “John Jacob Jingleheimen Schmidt, his name is my name too! And whenever we go out, the people always shout there goes John Jacob Jingleheimen Schmidt.” Sera’s laughing her ass off in the back seat.
“I so wish you were a dude so I could hit you.” Jimmy shook his head. He glanced in the rear view mirror and froze. “Aw shit.”
“What?” I turned to look behind us.
“Demons, right on our tail.” Jimmy stepped on the gas, the needle inching towards eighty.
“I got this.” I said, unbuckling my seat belt so I could turn around. I concentrated on the tires and willed for the rubber to heat up. A moment later, their car came to a complete stop, the rubber in the tires melted to the freeway. I turned back around and buckled back up.
“Good job Mulan.” Brian said, grinning at me. I flipped him off and tossed my Zippo into the air.
“Too bad I don’t need this anymore.” I sighed. I remembered the last time I’d used it: to keep Sera from being in the dark in that mausoleum. We pulled into the garage and I stopped Sera.
“Keep it Ser.” I said, pressing the lighter into her hand. “To light your way when I’m not around.” I could see she was gonna cry, so I pulled her into a hug. A lump formed in my throat. I couldn’t protect her before, from that demon. I should have ripped him to shreds, killed him by inches for what he did to her, for what he’s still doing to her. I made up my mind then and there to become a better fighter, for my sister.
Johnny’s face was pale and stressed when we walked in.
“Girls, we have a new housemate.” He said in a fake cheery voice. “Meet Cornelia.” The psycho blonde who’d tried to strangle me is standing behind him.
“Call me Cory.” She smiled sweetly. I wasn’t buying it.
“This bitch tried to fucking strangle me and now she’s living with us?” I asked incredulously.
“It was just to show them how lax they are with their guarding.” Cory explained smoothly. I had to give her that. “And good job with knocking me out.”
This chick is crazy.
Fabulous.