Status: Completed!

The Real Story of Heaven and Hell

Dear Insanity

This is complete and total bullshit.
Cory, the angel who must have spent a few years studying in Hell, is our fucking sister? I punched the wall in frustration. Part of me sort of believed it, but my demon side couldn’t accept it. I couldn’t accept that any sister of ours would ever hurt the other.
I took a deep breath and braced my foot against the wall. I always felt better when I was dancing, and I needed to stretch out first.
A cynical voice in my head whispered, What’s the point? And what was the point? Because the Devil’s my fucking dad, all the sweat and blood and sheer time I’d put into dancing went straight to hell.
I couldn’t even chuckle at the thought.
Without really thinking about it, I stepped into the water, watching as my pajamas billowed around me.
It would be so easy to just go under the water. Then everything would be all right again. Sera would be free to live her life and she could have Mom back. And good would win the fight. Isn’t that what’s supposed to happen?
Maybe it’s for the best that I go down without a fight. My final act for my sister would be to set her free. I stopped treading water and let myself slide under the surface.
--
Death isn’t supposed to feel like someone slamming their hands into my chest. I turned my head to the side and vomited up what felt like an ocean’s worth of water.
“Lil!” I heard Sera screaming. “Wake up, please!” My eyelids flickered.
“She’s coming around.” That sounded like Jimmy. I fought to open my eyes.
“Ser?” I croaked out, finally able to focus my eyes to see. My sister’s tear stained face appeared over my head.
“Jesus mother fucking Christ Lil!” She sobbed, pressing her face into my already soaked shirt. The memories started coming back slowly. I’d tried to drown myself. I sat up and threw up more water. It burned horribly on its way up and I wondered what the hell was in that water that made it burn like whiskey.
I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand and lay down again, shaking from the cold.
“Did you…did you try to kill yourself?” Sera whispered.
“Yes.” Even though I’d spoken softly, it sounded like a gun had gone off.
“Why?” That was from Jimmy, whose eyes were distinctly red-rimmed.
“To set Sera free. It would be damn easier for all of us if I was just dead.” I pushed by my sister and our guardians, stumbling my way up the stairs.
--
I haven’t spoken to anyone, and no one tries to talk to me.
Well, except Sera.
She tried over and over to get me to say something, but I just shook my head and stayed silent, curled up on the window seat and staring out the window. I was so cold, so damn cold. I felt like a block of ice, no matter how many layers I was wearing.
It occurred to me now that in killing myself, I would have killed Sera too. She needs me, just as much as I need her.
“Serry.” I used to call Sera that a lot when we were younger. Her head snapped up and she rushed over to me. “I’m so sorry Sera. Something just…snapped.”
“It’s okay.” Only my sister would be so fricking forgiving. She smoothed my hair away from my face and I scooted over so she could lie down next to me. “Jesus, you’re frozen solid.”
“I think I saw the stuff for apple cider in the kitchen.” I said, jumping over her and falling flat on my face. I rolled over and looked up at Sera, who was hanging over the edge of the window seat looking at me. We both burst into hysterical giggles, which is how Matt found us.
“Are you okay?” Matt asked worriedly. After my little accident yesterday, I guess he has reason to be worried.
“Totally fine.” I wheezed, taking his hand and standing up. “Come on Ser.” We skipped off to the kitchen and poured a good amount of the apple cider into a pot and set it to heat.
“Gramps used to make us this. Do you remember?” I asked.
“Yeah. Remember that porridge-y thing he used to give us?” It was cinnamon, milk, sugar and cornstarch. Simplest thing ever but it was so damn good.
Cory wandered in, her eyes slightly puffy.
“Cory?” I said softly. That was probably the first time I’d ever said her name correctly. Her head snapped in my direction. I glanced over at Sera and then held my arms open for Cory. This was my equivalent of an apology. She accepted it and embraced me. Sera joined in our little sisterly group hug.
“Do you want some?” Sera asked, pouring the cider into mugs. Cory accepted one happily and we went into the living room. I lifted Arabie out of her cage and settled the bunny onto my lap. Cheshire took up his usual spot on Sera’s shoulder and I flicked on the TV.
“Oh my God!” I pointed at the screen. “I fucking love this movie!” Ace Ventura: Pet Detective was just starting. Cory laughed.
“I must admit, this movie is pretty damn awesome.” She grabbed a blanket from the back of the couch and spread it across our laps.
Jimmy wandered in at one point and stopped dead, staring at us.
“Uhh, something’s wrong with this picture.” He said slowly, trying to figure out why the three of us were getting along.
“Let’s just say we came to an understanding Jimbo.” I stared into the depths of my cup, not meeting his eyes. Our little moment in that darkened room was weighing on me like a boulder. I honestly can’t look at him.
Especially since Sera told me he was doing mouth to mouth resuscitation on me.
“O….kay.” He high-tailed it into the kitchen. I yawned so big my jaw cracked.
“Dude, it’s almost two.” Sera said. After Ace Ventura, we’d watched The Blues Brothers and Wayne’s World.
“Time for kiddies to go to sleep.” Cory said in a very mothering tone.
“Girl, you’re my sister, not my keeper.” I rolled my eyes, but I put Arabie in her cage for the night and headed for the safety of my bed.
Of course, that didn’t mean I slept very well. I couldn’t really fall asleep, tired as I was.
I was too afraid of seeing what I’d seen last night, which obviously had put me in the mood to kill myself.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Credit: Dear Insanity- Asking Alexandria.