Status: still writing ....

Love Like Woe

Part One

Emerald Sutton woke up on a Monday morning in her best friend’s bed with a headache. She groaned and rolled over to glance at the alarm clock. It was already 7:25 which meant her sister would be driving by in a few minutes to pick her up. She groaned again, louder this time, as she sat up and rubbed at her eyes.

Her clothes were in a pile on the ground, near the closet. She wasn’t too concerned with the fact that she was only in her panties and a shirt that was too large to belong to anyone but the boy sleeping beside her. She smiled as she looked over at her best friend drooling into his pillow. She shook her head before slipping out of the bed and reaching for her jean shorts.

Emerald had been best friends with John O’Callaghan since the second she’d met him her freshman year of high school. He was one year older, but that didn’t stop the two from becoming practically attached. Neither of their parents had minded the somewhat constant sleepovers, though on Emerald’s seventeenth birthday the two had decided to take their friendship and turn it into a relationship.

The romantic relationship between Emerald and John, however, did not last long. Halfway through her final year of high school and his first year of college, the two had decided to go back to their simple friendship, though a few benefits from the relationship had remained with them still.

She grinned as she put her bra back on and snatched one of John’s shirts from his dresser. There were plenty of her own clothes in his room, but she always preferred wearing his. She checked the time again before quickly scrawling a note down and leaving it on the pillow she’d had her head on earlier.

She watched him for a moment, but jumped at the abrupt sound of the car horn outside. She sighed and peaked out his window to see the dark red car that belonged to her sister. She rolled her eyes and left a small kiss on John’s forehead before she skipped out of the familiar house.

Sapphire Sutton tapped her fingers on the steering wheel as she waited for her sister. The stereo was on and playing softly though her attention was on the front door of the O’Callaghan’s house. Finally she saw Emerald appear and dash across the yard, which made her giggle. She shook her head as Emerald slipped into the passenger seat breathing heavily and pulled away from the curb.

“You and Johnny have a fun time last night?” Sapphire smirked as she kept her eyes on the road. She knew her sister was blushing from the teasing comment.

“We stayed in and watched movies.” Emerald shrugged and bit her bottom lip as she looked out the front window shield. “His mom made some enchiladas.”

Sapphire bit her tongue against more teasing for the rest of the drive to the high school. She knew how Emerald could only take so many jokes about her odd relationship with John before the poor girl snapped. That was why she kept quiet, until she got around her own best friend who just happened to bring the subject up again.

“Nice shirt, Em.” Garrett Nickelson smirked as he threw his arm around Sapphire’s shoulders. “Did John pick your clothes out for you?” He chuckled as Emerald crossed her arms and rolled her eyes.

“He’s trying to make sure no other guy makes a move.” Sapphire elbowed Garrett in his side, just as a warning to not take things too far.

“Oh, trust me, no guy is even going to think about hitting on John’s ex. He’s scared pretty much half the student body against it.”

“Where’s Pat?” Emerald attempted to change the subject as she glanced around for the last fourth of their group. Both Sapphire and Garrett laughed at this.

“Aw, someone’s embarrassed.” Garrett cooed and then made a sad face to which Emerald glared at.

“I’m not embarrassed.”

“Then why are your cheeks flushed?” Sapphire arched her eyebrows and smirked as her sister frowned.

“Who flushed?” Pat popped in at just the right time. It took only seconds before all four of them were laughing hysterically at his question. Emerald was glad to have the attention off of her and she was hoping it stayed that way.

“Thanks Patty.” Emerald grinned as she leaned her head on the small boy’s shoulder. He grinned and rested his head on top of hers.

“No problem, Em.” It took a few seconds before he raised his head and looked down at her questionably. “Wait, what’d I do?”

“Has anyone studied for the Economics Test?” Garrett interrupted and three faces turned completely panicked.

“I’ve got a study guide you guys can borrow.” Emerald shimmied her backpack off and unzipped it to search for the right papers. Pat and Garrett sighed with relief.

“How do you find time to do all this and talk dirty with Johnny until the wee hours of the morning?” Sapphire glanced over her sister’s notes and frowned. There were a lot to remember before fourth period. Emerald blushed again and tucked her hair behind her ear.

“Oh!” Pat’s mouth fell open as he put together the pieces. The other three gave him weird looks to which he returned with a weak smile. “Um, nice shirt Em.” He was trying to not be obvious with his realization, but it didn't work.

Garrett snorted as he looked over Sapphire’s shoulder at the notes. Sapphire tried to hide her smile and focus on the words that made no sense. Emerald fidgeted with the too-big shirt and tucked it into her shorts in the front. The bell rang and saved Emerald from more ridicule.

“I’m going to Lit. I’ll see you guys later.” Emerald gave a half wave and zipped her backpack up again.

“See you in Bio, Em!” Garrett waved.

“Thanks for the notes!” Pat waved.

“I’ll save you a seat in Calc!” Sapphire waved.

Emerald smiled and nodded before walking off. On her way to her first, and favorite, period she thought about how lucky she was. She had a good life. She had great friends, an amazing sister, and the best best friend. Her grades were way above average and she was looking forward to attending ASU next year along with Garrett, Pat, Sapphire, and John.

She felt as if nothing could stop the smile on her face from growing.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here is to new beginnings. This is something old that I never posted. I poured a lot of time into it though I only have the first few chapters written out. I hope everyone enjoys.
xooxEmber.