Status: updates will slow down

Harbour Lights and Lonely Nights

Plans

Sidney spent so much time working that the next few days flew by for both of them. Emily would go to sleep in her room and when she woke up Sidney would already be gone. Emily considered her options again and again and in the end it only took one small thing to decide. By the day of the game she had her answer. She would tell Sidney after he played.

“Seriously Emily, this is amazing.” The redheaded barista said as she took her seat next to Alex. The arena was packed for its first game. It almost made it feel like the regular season with the intensity of the crowd. Emily’s eyes scanned over the people and noticed the 87 jersey over and over again. In kid’s sizes and adult sizes on women and men and children. Even on her own back the letters C R O S B Y sprawled across her shoulder blades. She had bought the jersey after talking with Mischa who had mentioned it was a must. Sidney hadn’t seen it and she wondered if he would like it. It would be his first time seeing her in any gear other than that of the Habs not to mention his first time seeing her in his own number.

“I don’t know why but I feel kind of nervous,” Emily bit her lip subconsciously, unsure whether it was the task of telling Sidney her decision and making it real or it was the tension that came with watching someone you care about play.
“Don’t worry, it’ll be great. You have nothing to worry about.” Mischa reassured her. Alex focused his attention on his phone so as not to intrude on the obvious girl talk happening around him.
“I really hope you’re right.”

The three weren’t seated long before the players come out onto the ice. The spectators were louder for some numbers than others. Sidney’s eyes eventually landed on her and he smiled widely from the ice as he pointed to the number on his shoulder. Obviously he had noticed her jersey. The action made her shrug innocently. Her nerves didn’t settle for a moment until the puck started to move. Then the lightning speed sport she loved started and it wasn’t about Sidney Crosby any more. It was about the game she had grown to love.

“They need do to this again. Are you watching this? Ugh, I wish I was there!” Emily sat on her couch in her old Béliveau Habs shirt and jeans. Her messy curls were in a sloppy bun and the black cordless phone was pressed against her ear as she spoke into it. The 2003 Heritage Classic showcasing on her television.
“Me too. Watching Bouillon take that stupid roughing penalty would have made me yell. But Edmonton doesn’t really have a chance at coming back after Zednik’s last goal. They might be able to get one more but I think we’ve got it.”
From Sidney’s aunt’s guest room the boy watched the television intently, wishing the brunette was physically by his side to cheer and jeer at the game. The phone would have to suffice for the time being though.
Both pairs of eyes from completely different rooms set far apart watched the television intently. Number 24, Steve Staios in his Edmonton jersey surprised the crowd with a breakaway. Leaving the blue and red of the Habs jerseys scrambling after him. Theodore readied himself in the net as 24 sped towards him and with a flick of the wrist the puck flew past him, a high shot while Theodore went low, the puck just making it into the net blocker side.
Staios had scored as per Sidney’s prediction but the Oilers were still down 3-4 and it was late in the third. Montreal was going to win.
“How do you do that?” asked Emily as she stared at the TV in awe. The sound of the goal horn faint in the background. “You have this creepy ability to call final scores.”
“If I told you my secret than I wouldn’t be special anymore.”
Emily rolled her eyes, picturing the hazel eyed boy sitting in the floral wallpapered room of his aunt’s house. He’d have the remote in his hand and the volume turned down low so the commentators were just a murmur. The last minutes of the game passed with no more goals and both Emily and Sidney jumped off their respective couches as the last seconds of the game ticked away. If they had been together they would have embraced each other in one of their victory hugs, Sidney pulling Emily’s feet off the ground in haste but they rarely got to watch the games together since he transferred.
“One day Sidney Crosby,” Emily said after calming down, “That’s going to be you on the ice.”


As the third period began Sidney was off the ice. His hip was bothering him but from the bench he had glanced at Emily and given her a reassuring smile. He was fine. It was just for the last period.

Watching the game Sidney felt an awkward mix of emotions. The energy of the crowd was insane for a preseason game. He wasn’t worried about the outcome of the game, they had a 5-1 lead over the redwings and he didn’t have any doubt that they had won it. The first game in the new arena had been a success. On the other hand, Emily’s intentions, the last time Sidney had heard, were to stay for the first preseason game and then she would heading back to Nova Scotia. The idea that this may be her last night in Pittsburgh made his stomach twist. The certainty he had harboured that she would change her mind and stay was slowly being encompassed by doubt. She hadn’t mentioned to him any change of plans and the last few days had mostly been spent apart. His lifestyle would lose him Emily, he was sure of it. He had seen her packed bags lying on the bed that she had even made for once. As the last period dragged on his eyes habitually followed the puck but his stare was blank. The happiness of his team after the win was contagious when it became final that they had won. He smiled and felt excited with his teammates but something was still off.

Throngs of people exited the arena, the trio of Mischa, Alex and Emily nearly getting separated in the mix.

“Thanks for bringing us,” Alex smiled like a young boy, “that was wicked.”
Both Emily and Mischa rolled their eyes at his boyishness and the male admiration of sports. Even though Alex wasn’t a huge hockey fan he was immediately taken in by the game.
“You should stay here though. Wait for Sidney. I know you two need to talk.” The redhead advised.
“No, I don’t want to just ditch you guys.”
“It’s fine. We’ll talk later. You really need to find Sidney.”
Emily nodded in agreement and gave Mischa a hug. “Thank you so much for everything. You really are fantastic.”
The girl laughed, “I know.”
Emily turned and smiled at Alex who gave her a less close hug, “Good luck.”
“Thanks, I’ll need it.”
Within moments the two had disappeared into the people and Emily was ignoring her unread text message until after texting Sidney. The missed message was from Max.

We won. Obviously you are a good luck charm so don’t stay away too long. Have a safe trip home Jambes

Emily had told Max her decision and he had been really supportive. He continued to call her Jambes, which was a strange nickname. It wasn’t one you’d really hear because it was a distinctly English nickname only spoken in French in the attempt that she wouldn’t understand it and even after Max had discovered her knowledge of its meaning he had continued to call her it. It was part of the reason she felt an odd type of bond forming with the French charmer.

Sidney told her where to meet him and once everything had died down and he had managed to get away from his celebrating teammates he found Emily exactly where he asked her to be. A smile staked its spot on his lips as he saw the girl’s curvy frame clothed in his number and name. The jersey looked much better on her than it did on the girls he usually saw wear it. It didn’t bring out the blue in her eyes as much as the Canadiens jersey that he could remember her in but for obvious reasons, to him, the Penguin logo suited her much better. Her posture was upright but she stood with an air of approachability, not snobbiness as she waited for him.

“Hey,” he called out to her, watching her turn from smiling at the screen of her phone. “Nice jersey.”
There was no one else around this part of the parking lot as it was an unusual exit for a player and any one who wasn’t waiting for an autograph had already left.
“You think?” She asked innocently, spinning around so he could see it from all angles. The waves of her hair fanned out in the air and came to rest mostly to one side when she stopped. To him it seemed her hair always fell perfectly like some shampoo commercial.
“I do think.”
“I don’t know. It was a tough choice. They were all out of Malkin’s.”
The hockey player tossed her a fake glare as he reached her side and they started on their way to his car. A subtle sort of tension resided between them. Not outright awkwardness but neither of them felt like things were completely right. Sidney was fearing her leaving and Emily was wondering how to bring the topic up.
“I didn’t see Malkin get you any goals.”
Emily displayed mock appreciation, “aww. You got a goal for your old high school pal. How sweet!”
“I think I take that back.” He chuckled.
The familiar SUV came into sight and Sidney pressed the button on his keychain to unlock the doors.

“So,” Sidney hesitated once in the driver’s seat, “Uhh—what are we doing tonight?”
“I thought you’d be out with the guys to be honest.”
Sidney shook his head and started the car, “Nah. We have a game tomorrow. We’ll celebrate after we win that one.”
His confidence caused Emily to laugh after which the car fell into silence. Emily didn’t know if bringing it up while he was distracted with driving was the best idea so she tried to think of a plan for the night.
“We could just hang out, like old times.”
Trying to hide his uneasiness as he concentrated on the road Sidney agreed. At least they would have some time together.

The rest of the drive was almost silent. A part of Sidney felt like Emily was holding back something she wanted to say. He wondered what it was. Would she tell him she regretted sleeping with him? Would she want to keep in touch when she left? Maybe she would tell him that she didn’t want to lead him on any longer and they should leave the friendship to wither from the distance.

The worries didn’t settle in his mind.

When they got to the house Emily made them both some tea and took it out to Sidney in the backyard. With the dim garden lights surrounding them they lay on the low lounge chairs and looked up at the night sky. The silence and the tea brought the comfort of their past to them. They always fell into the same rhythm. That would never change.

“Look at the stars, Look how they shine for you and everything you do. Yeaaahhhh, they were all yellow.” Emily’s soft singing voice was a whisper up towards the stars that interrupted the dark of the sky.

Sidney’s head turned so his cheek rested against the material of the chair and he watched her. Nothing fell on her features in a more complimentary way than moonlight. The soft white light of her highlights and the stark contrast of the shadows.

“Remember Nova Scotia nights? The stars come out in hundreds. It kind of makes this a bit sad in comparison.” She said wistfully.
Sidney shrugged at the unwanted topic of Nova Scotia, the province that was taking her away. He loved it as his home but in that moment wasn’t very fond of it.
“I guess now is probably as good a time as any,” with a sigh Emily positioned herself on her side so her head was propped up on her hand and her eyes were set deliberately on Sidney. “I’ve made my decision and I’m sorry I couldn’t do it sooner. Tomorrow I’m leaving for Cole Harbour.”
Sidney’s stomach sunk at the words but he would tell she wasn’t finished. But he didn’t want to hear any more. Too bad Emily didn’t give him a choice.
“I need to sort out quite a few things back home. It will probably take a month maybe a bit more. That time is really important to me.”
Her words held no meaning for Sidney. He didn’t understand where the train of thought’s destination was.
“But after that, Mischa has offered to let me live with her. Her roommate just moved out so she was thinking of finding a new one anyways.”
The conversation paused as Sidney soaked up the information. Watching the elegant features of the girl in front of him he tried to unscramble his thoughts. “You’re moving to Pittsburgh?”
The response he got was a subtle nod. Emily looked as though she was anxious for a response of her own. She wondered if he was happy.
“What made you change your mind?”
“Well, when I woke up yesterday morning you had left a little note about how you were sorry you’d been so busy but you’d make sure to see me at the game and spend some time with me before I left. I had been thinking the move might be good for a while and that it might even be a bit of an adventure. What your note did was remind me that even though you have a crazy life now there is still a spot in it for me.”
The cool night breeze danced across their bodies lying, facing each other. “I’m really glad you’re giving Pittsburgh a shot.”
“Me too. I mean just because we aren’t in high school anymore doesn’t mean everything has to change. You’re still my best friend.”

The words reached Sidney with a shove. Best friends? Is that what they still were? Did best friends have sex? Did they kiss? Or had those memories been pushed aside and ignored? It made the good news slightly tinted with disappointment. Yes, Emily was coming back, but as his best friend. Sidney tried to shake the thought, he had to tell himself one step at a time.

Emily knew she hadn’t chosen the best words. Best friends sounded slightly off when she said it but she knew that to say Sidney was her boyfriend would be even stranger. They weren’t there yet. Hell, they may never be. She loved Sidney but her life could only handle so much at one time. Moving to Pittsburgh Sidney and Emily would be best friends. If, in the future, that would change remained unknown. All that mattered is that the dream team wouldn’t be split up.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this took so long. I've been busy with work and I had to rush it. If it's not that great that's why. Also, thanks again to all the commenters!