Status: updates will slow down

Harbour Lights and Lonely Nights

Correspondence

For the first while apart Emily and Sidney corresponded with e-mails but as nice as it was it wasn’t anything like being together.

To: Sidney
From: Emily
Sent at 12:06am on September 18th, 2005

Hey Sid! Man am I glad for the invention of e-mail. It is what will currently allow me to tell how INSANE everything has been even though I’ve only been here two days.

I always knew there was so much more to the world than Cole Harbour but WOW. So far everything has been about getting to know everyone is residence. I did manage to meet one other girl from Canada so far. Her name is Sara and she is from... Toronto! I think the fact that we are the only Canadians in the building trumps the regional hate and we’ll probably stick to each other. Her mother even packed her some tins of Tim Horton’s coffee so at least I’ve got that covered. Although, I hear there is a Tim Horton’s somewhere in London. We’ll have to scout it out.

How are things on your end? Is Pittsburgh nice? I’ll have to figure out some way to watch your games over here. Hopefully I won’t be too overworked to. I get the feeling it will be hard to get anything done here based on my roommates but that’s probably a good thing. At least this might be some fun.

I really hope things are good with you and your training is going well. Good luck!

Emily.

-----

To: Sidney
From: Emily
Sent at 6:23am on September 26th, 2005

I got your last e-mail. Sorry it took me so long to respond. Things over here have been crazy to say the least.

I’m glad to hear you like your surrogate family. Mario sounds like a really nice guy. And don’t sweat the small things. I’m sure you’ll do fine. Unfortunately I don’t really have time to write anymore. I have to wake up in an hour for class and I haven’t gone to sleep yet.

Emily.

----

To: Sidney
From: Emily
Sent at 8:23am on November 1st, 2005

It’s been a while. Mum sends some news on your games. Still haven’t found a way to watch them here yet. Here it’s all about cricket and “football”. I don’t think I’ll ever get used to that.

Anyways, how was your Halloween?

I really wish you had been here for mine. It was even more fun than the year we dressed up as Fred and Wilma and crashed Sean Peterson’s party. You remember that night? Our first Halloween? Then freezing our asses off at the harbour where we won that costume party. What was the prize? A voucher for Subway or something?

It seems Halloween isn’t as big here but students always love a reason to party. I’m actually feeling the consequences of it right now. I’m sure you’re keeping in much better shape than me. At least I hope you are Mr. Hockey Star!

Can’t wait to hear about your holiday shenanigans,

Emily.

Eventually they started to become very infrequent…


To: Sidney
From: Emily
Sent at 1:57pm on August 7th, 2006

Happy Birthday Sid! Hope things are good.

-----

To: Sidney
From: Emily
Sent at 2:34am on August 8th, 2007

Happy belated.

…and then they stopped completely.