Status: updates will slow down

Harbour Lights and Lonely Nights

On Peut

“How’s the hockey player?” Alex sipped at his cup of coffee as he leaned against the empty bar. Behind it the blue eyed Nova Scotian tidied the bottles of syrups and milk cartons as she listened to him. In 15 more minutes the café would actually be closed but besides Alex there was only one other customer inside anyway.
“He’s good,” a smile seeped into her rosy lips, an automatic reflex that had become quite frequent since having Sidney back. “We’re great. He gets pretty busy with hockey but things between us are really good.”
The man rolled his eyes blowing the steam from his beverage before placing it back on the white china plate. “And what about the French guy? Haven’t seen him around in a while.”
Emily shrugged, glancing up at the casual stance of her friend, “I’m not sure what he’s been up to. The last couple of times he’s asked me to go out for drinks I’ve been with Sid. And we weren’t telling anybody about us yet.”
Her dainty hands scrubbed the counter with cloth, “You only know because Mischa can’t keep her mouth shut.”
“Hasn’t it been over a week though?”
“It’s been 10 years coming, so we’re taking it slow.”
“Snails pace.”
She didn’t mention how hard it had actually been. She didn’t want the invasion of privacy that would come with telling people, nor did she want to brag. She did however, hate how everything felt like when she first came to Pittsburgh and Sidney hid her from his friends. A part of her wanted to let everyone know. She wanted to hold his hand and joke and kiss and not have to worry about people seeing. But it wasn’t the time. Not yet at least.
The high tiny sound of the bell pierced the conversation as someone entered the café. A familiar presence in the small building with a head of red hair. “So it’s Emily that’s been stealing my business!”
Alex smirked into his cup and took a sip. “Mmmmm.”
“I’m sure Starbuck’s will survive. Plus, your location is like twenty minutes away from here.”
“Yes, but I clearly see where Alex’s allegiances lie. He’s only known you a few months but already your coffee is better than mine.” There was a joking to her tone as she reached the bar.
“Well what are you doing here? Isn’t it in your work contract somewhere you can’t drink coffee anywhere else?” Alex finally spoke.
“Har Har.” Was the only response he got from Mischa, “Actually Em, I’m here to see if you want a drive home.”
“Sounds good. It’s just going to take a bit to close up. Why don’t you guys go bicker at a table or something.”
The two did as Emily suggested and she got to cleaning the machines and putting away food.

---

“You’ve been quiet,” Staal observed of his captain as the plates from their meal were cleared away. The core of the team sat around a few tables lengthed together. The captain certainly had been quiet the whole meal and this hadn’t gone unnoticed by the other guys.
“I’m just thinking about the game tomorrow.” He lied. The game was not nearly as prominent in his thoughts as the deep blue eyes and lavender scent whose presence he wished to be in.
“Will Miss Jambes be there?” Max’s voice floated from a few chairs down.
Sidney shifted his weight. He hated the nickname now more than ever. How he wished to tell them that she was his. “I hope so.”
“What’s it like having her in town permanently now?” Marc asked with only slight interest.
“It’s good. Feels like a bit of home in Pittsburgh.” After he said them he hoped the words hadn’t come out wrong.
“Why haven’t we seen her lately? You should invite her out with us more often. That way we can weasel your embarrassing secrets out of her.” The blonde joked and a few at the table seemed all to keen with that idea.
“I’m not putting her through that.”
Maxime smiled, “but she is coming to the game tomorrow, oui?”
“Probably.” And he already had a feeling he’d regret it.

The e-mail in front of him didn’t say much. He hated that this is what their communication had become. At least he hated it when he actually took the time to think about her which these days was not as often as it had been.

“Ohh, is that Emily?” Marc André asked reading over the young hockey star’s shoulder.

Happy Birthday Sid! Hope things are good.

Sent at 1:57pm on August 7th, 2006


Sidney had been looking at it for a good ten minutes contemplating what to say back but with Marc behind him he shut his laptop, not to ever return to the e-mail or to respond to it.

“It was just a birthday wish. She’s still in England.”

Marc re adjusted himself in his plane seat. “Weren’t you best friends or something?”

Sidney turned to look at the window, “Yeah I guess.”

“I have to meet her. You used to talk about her a lot.”

“I doubt that’ll ever happen. We have different lives now.”

The Québécois man looked at Sidney and hated that even after a year of knowing him, his captain still kept so much close to his chest. He was an enigma. A mystery. He didn’t know what Emily looked like but he pictured a girl as mysterious and unreadable as the hazel eyed man beside him.


---

When Emily got home she threw her bags down by the shoes. Her feet ached from spending all say standing. She wanted nothing more than to relax on the couch as she trudged towards the destination of her desires. Mischa, slightly less lethargic due to a shorter shift, followed behind. Her body started to relax even before it touched the cushiony couch but it didn’t last long. As she nestled comfortably into the cushions her pocket vibrated violently from her phone. She was almost too lazy to pull it out but when she did she saw a text from Max.

“So you guys still haven’t told people?” Mischa asked as she turned on the TV.
Emily looked down at her phone.

From: Superstar25

I hear you’ll be at the game tomorrow. Will u be too busy to say hi to the superstar?


“Nope.”
She poised to respond, her fingers passing over the buttons effortlessly.
Did you just refer to yourself as the superstar? Lol
She pressed send and then started a new message to him. Sorry I’ve been so busy lately. You know how it is.
“But you’re going to the game tomorrow?” She continued her line of questioning as she flipped through the channels.
“I think—” Emily was interrupted by the loud ringing of the phone. She didn’t want to get up and had she been a lone it would have gone un answered. Good thing Mischa was there.
“Hello?” She answered absent-mindedly as she sat back down and concentrated on the TV guide. “Yeah.” There was a short pause, “She’s right here, I’ll just hand you over.”
Mischa smirked as she handed over the phone to her friend before she muted the TV and got up to give Emily some privacy.

“Hello?” She wanted badly for it to be Sid calling.
So it was a relief when she heard his voice. “Hey Em.”
“How was your day today?”
“Tiring. I’m on my way home. How was your day?”
“The same. Just got home from work.”
“Tell me about it.”
She got up from the couch and walked through the quiet house, up the stairs to her bed room. Boxes still lay scattered but her furniture was up and she has been settled in for a while now. Pictures and frames hadn’t been hung yet though, they all rested along the walls. She wondered if she’d ever actually get that done as she crashed onto her bed and stared up at the ceiling.
“I felt like I was on my feet forever. But I did finally perfect lattes. It really is an art.”
“Have any interesting customers?”
“Just Alex. Wanted to know how you were.”
Emily sighed, it felt like too often their relationship was spent on the phone. She wanted him there with her but she knew he had a game the next day.
“The guys were asking about you too. You’re coming to the game tomorrow right?”
At least at that she smiled. “Of course. Wouldn’t miss it.”
There was a pause that manifested itself between them. It wasn’t uncomfortable but rather comforting.
After a while Sidney finally spoke. “Hey Em…”
“Yeah.”
“This might sound bad. But I miss having you live with me.”
Emily smiled. “That doesn’t sound bad.”
“I know we’re taking it slow. I miss having you sneak into my bed.”
“I miss it too.”
There was a hesitation at Sidney’s end. He had just reached his road but it wasn’t where he wanted to be. “Can I stop by?”
Emily’s heart jumped up at the surprise. Excited at the idea of his warm familiar body next to hers. “I would love that.”
“Okay. I can be there in 10 minutes.”
“See you soon Sid.”

When Emily hung up the phone she realized her room was untidy. She fixed it up a bit and got into some shorts and a t-shirt instead of her work clothes. With only a couple minutes to spare she popped her head into Mischa’s room to tell her they would be having company but her roommate was already asleep.

It felt like hours passing but after Sidney finally arrived they snuck up into her room so as not to wake Mischa and Sidney took a look around for the first time.

“I expected it to be more organized,” He said at a low volume still not wanting to wake anyone.
“You are the organized one.”
“But this is so bad.”
Emily watched as his tall figure walked over to the prints in plastic sleeves that leaned against the wall. He flipped through them to see, to his surprise, prints of paintings. Famous ones he had seen before, and others he hadn’t. None of which he knew the name of.
“What are these?” He asked as Emily watched him from her bed.
“Every time I went to a gallery on my travels I’d buy at least one print of something. Some of those are from France, England, Germany.”
“And you haven’t put them up yet?”
“I’ll get around to it.”
Sidney finally took his attention from them and headed over to Emily. He looked at her affectionately. She wore small cloth shorts with Pitt U on the hem and her shirt had the Pittsbirgh Penguins. She was officially home.
“Is that the attitude you’re taking with the unopened boxes too?” He rested his arms on either side of her and lowered himself towards her.
“Maybe.”
“It feels like an attic bedroom in Paris or something.” His swollen lips came down for the shortest of pecks.
“Parisans have much more taste than some girl from Cole Harbour.”
“C’est pas vrai, Mon Chou.”
The blue eyed girl couldn’t help but hold back a giggle. “Did I ever tell you… That your French accent is the cutest thing ever.”
“It’s that good?”
“Oh, it’s the worst. But you try so hard!”
Sidney feigned being hurt but he was happy to see her smile as he crashed down onto the pillow beside her. His strong arm wrapped around her shoulder and she took his large hand in his. Her petit frame finding comfort from his strength and warmth as they surrounded her.
“I remember when you first came back from spending some time in the QMJHL. ‘Maintenant,’ you said to me ‘Je parle français. On peut habiter à Montréal.’”
“I remember getting laughed at when I said that to you.”
“My mother’s side of the family has a bit of French. It was funny hearing you think you were all fluent. Although the offer was tempting at 17.”
“Well I am now.”
“And I’m so proud of you.” Emily laughed as she looked at his serious expression. Joking and talking, and simply being together felt like exactly what she needed. He felt the touch of her small hand on his cheek. It made him pull her closer. Then, finally the feeling of her lips, soft against his own. A kiss that was long and slow but desperate for closeness. When the girl pulled away she turned onto her side and away from him, reaching back to grab his arm and pull him over. He held her quietly as her body, tired from work, relaxed into the bed. He rested his nose in the soft scent of her hair and felt himself doing the same thing. It wasn’t long before his breathing synced up with hers and he felt himself falling asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for all the feedback. This one was kind of a bit rushed. I hope it's good though.
And as always I'd love some comment/feedback.