Status: updates will slow down

Harbour Lights and Lonely Nights

Becoming Boring

Once the couple returned to Pittsburgh Sidney addressed the rumours at his first practice. The story had been confirmed by the man himself. But lucky for them it got lost among the media’s anticipation for the Winter Classic. Sure, Sidney Crosby being in a relationship was big news, but how many times did two of the league’s best players face off in a spectacle like the Winter Classic?

And so after that days rushed forth in excitement. Sidney was busier than ever, anxious and nervous as ever while Emily had everything to look forward to.

From the moment the families arrived it was a frenzy of activity. And as they sat in Heinz field surrounded by her family and the Crosbys Emily felt a small part of one big family. With her brother beside her and her parents chatting with the Crosbys on the other side of her, this could have been a hockey game back in Nova Scotia when they were just teenagers. At least she felt that way for a moment. The venue was much different than the small rink from her memories. She had never been to anything quite like this before.

“If they do this more often I might actually pay attention to hockey.” Nathan’s hands were tucked in the pockets of his coat, his eyes looking over the lights.
“You used to love hockey when you were little! What happened to you?” She looked at him with joking skepticism.
“I became an intellectual,” his raised his nose up in mock snobbishness.
Emily’s elbow bumped his ribs just like old times, “Oh boo! Really, what broke you?”
“I don’t know why I stopped watching. It became kind of weird after Sidney became the new superstar. And I had to always flip flop between the Leafs because of my friends and the Habs because of you and mum. Oh and I sucked at it while they make it look so easy.”

The blue eyed girl gave an exaggerated shudder at the mention of the Leafs. It seemed strange to her how much her brother had grown. He had graduated while she was overseas; he had started school and seemed to have it all figured out. Just like everyone but her, until she moved to Pittsburgh.

“So what about you? When do you start classes again? After the 5 year sabbatical”
“I left school just over 3 years ago thank you very much, not 5.”
“Big difference.”
“Soon. A couple weeks.”
Sidney’s father’s voice interrupted their sibling world, “So what are you studying at the university?”
“I’m studying journalism.”
“Oh, right, Sidney said that. Was it sports journalism?”
Emily laughed, “That’s not the first time someone has assumed that. Actually I’m looking to go into something more political.”
“You always did like keeping up with that kind of thing.” Sidney’s mother observed.

With a glance at the ice Emily’s eyes landed on Sidney. She could see him trying to block out everything else, skating circles, ignoring cameras, lights, fans. His concentration made her smile. The puck drop was moments away.

“You two must be so proud of Sidney,” was the last thing Emily heard before her mother’s voice faded out.

Emily was no longer paying attention. The referee dropped the puck and the music quickly faded out, making the whole stadium cheer.

Most of the game Nathan yelled at the refs, threw his hands up in disgust or cheered like she hadn’t seen since he was little. It was probably equally because of the sport itself being one he had loved so much as a kid, and the fact that this was one of heroes growing up. Since Emily had brought her friend hockey player friend home when he was a kid, Nathan had seen Sidney as a big brother. He was always around, and he was the envy of most boys he knew.

”Your little brother is a terrible hockey player.” Sidney laughed as he watched the younger boy on the homemade rink. Sidney had been trying to teach him but it didn’t seem to stick.

“Please don’t tell him that and crush his dreams.”

Sidney walked on his skates, back to the ice just as the puck hit the left post and didn’t go in.

“That was a really good shot, you’re almost there,” he encouraged, looking back at Emily with a silly smile. She laughed too. Her 12 year old brother knew Sidney was being nice, but it was still pretty cool to get a compliment from the best hockey player in the whole province, which could have been the world as far as Nathan was concerned.

Sidney skated to the puck and brought it back to where Nathan stood.

“Dinner is almost ready!” Their mother called as she stepped out of the front door to watch.

Emily could see Sidney whisper something in the boy’s ear. Nathan looked up at him unsure but the honey eyed player just nodded and skated backwards to give him room.

Nathan faced the net, that same concentration and determination on his face she was used to seeing with Sidney. With his hockey stick positioned she could see him take a deep breath, and in moments his stick was off the ice and the puck was hitting the back of the net in the top left corner.

Everyone cheered for him, Sidney ruffling the kid’s hair as he reached him.

“Maybe one day you’ll be standing across from me at centre ice.”

“Ya right.” Nathan smiled.


“This ice is worse than our homemade rink.” Nathan mumbled as the referee signalled no-goal towards the end of the second period. The game had been both exciting and frustrating, but the Pens were only down by one, they weren’t out yet.
“Says the expert.”

It was a moment she looked at her brother, in his Pittsburgh toque, almost 20 years old, nothing like the brother she left to go to England, and a rumbling in the audience made her look back at the ice. In slow motion it processed. Sidney was down, hands over his head. She didn’t see the hit, just him trying to get back up as the play went on. No one looked more worried than Emily as her hand covered her mouth. She felt almost as if she had been hit too, so many worries rushing through her mind. But it was when he reached the bench that he gave a subtle wave as he tried to get his wind back, just so where she was watching she would know he was fine. But Emily would worry for the rest of the game until she got to see him. Even when he got out onto the ice in the third period and it started to rain, she just had to hear it from him.

“I’m sure he’s fine,” Nathan kept reassuring her.
“I know.”
Examining his sister he said, “I have never seen two people more stuck on each other. You’re like an old married couple.”
“Stuck on each other? Old married couple? That sounds horrible.” It didn’t bother her that much, she was used to people saying that. Well, she was used to Alex and Mischa saying that.
“It’s like you’ve been dating since high school. I don’t think I’ve ever seen you with another guy.”
“Brian? My boyfriend in high school.”
Nathan shrugged, “I forget him because when you were dating I still saw more of Crosby.”
“I really liked Brian. But okay, what about the five years we barely talked? It’s not like we even still know each other like we used to.”
“It’s like it never happened. You guys are so boring and in sync. It’s sickening.”
“Shut up.”
“Hey, I like the guy. I think it’s great I get to say my big sister is dating Sidney Crosby.”
“No you don’t.” was he reply with a stern look.

The talk was getting her mind off of the hit a bit as she watched the game but she just wanted to talk to her boyfriend, best friend, partner, she still couldn’t find a label that fit.
---

Emily didn’t get to have that talk with him until later that night; after the Penguins had lost the game, and her family had gone back to the hotel.

The big living room was almost silent as Crosby sat down. He looked more exhausted than she had ever seen him.

“Are you okay?” she found her way to the couch and sat with him, hand moving up to touch the front curls of his hair. “I didn’t see the hit, but you looked pretty winded.”
Sidney sighed, “I’m fine.” But his tone was sharp.
Her hand retracted from his hair at his tone. “I’m sorry you guys lost today.” As if that was what was bothering him.
“I’m fine. How was your day with the families?”
Emily smiled at the question, “It’s been great spending time with Nathan again. He thinks we act like an old married couple though.”
“I tried explaining to you how draining my job is. But you insisted I must still have time for fun. Now you know what I meant.” He smiled knowing he had been right.

Dark brown hair rested gently on his shoulder, his cheek moved to it and he closed his eyes to stop the slightest head ache that was coming on. This always happened when he got tired.

“Except when I first came you were a hermit.”
“You might think that, but you’re wrong. I went out with the guys.”
“Once a season?”
“More than that smartass.”

Her delicate fingers found his strong hand and began to trace the lines in his palm. It was the most relaxation he had gotten all day and he knew he would be spending the next day getting his parents on a plane and taking Emily’s family out to dinner, there was always something to do, but for her didn’t mind.

“Do you think we’re boring?” Sidney asked, knowing Emily’s restlessness. Did she bring it up because she was unhappy? He always felt the need keep things exciting, like if she got bored for too long maybe she’d leave again.

Emily pulled away and looked up at him, laughter in her eyes, “After a New Years with my family and a day of watching my hockey superstar boyfriend play in one of the biggest hockey spectacles of the NHL, I think boring would be bad word to describe us.”

She liked that it made him smile. “We just fit together, that’s all. We don’t need conflict.” She added and that was all he needed to hear. Once her school year started he knew he would miss this.

---

When Emily got home she decided to take a look at one of the school books she had already bought even though it was late. Mischa wasn’t home but she wanted to stay up a little longer to see if she’d return that night.

It was only a half an hour later the front door opened.

“Hey, Emily?”
“Ya?!”
Mischa slipped off her coat as the entered the kitchen. The cool air clung to her. “There are a couple of guys hanging out in a car across the street again.”
Emily rolled her eyes, a sigh from her lips, “I know. It’s not as bad as at Crosby’s though. Thank God.”
“I don’t know how you put up with it.”
“It really hasn’t been too bad yet.”
The fridge door opened with a creak behind her. “So why are you reading so late?”
“I don’t know it’s been such a crazy day I wasn’t sure I’d be able to sleep.”
“So what’s the problem? Sid the Kid not treating you right? Because the day you guys have a fight is going to be pigs flying territory.”
Emily rolled her eyes, “We have fought before, you know. But that’s not what it is. I guess I’m just stressed out about starting school again I don’t want to blow it again. Plus I’m afraid Sid and I will never get to see each other just when we are getting settled again.”
“Can we go back to the fight comment? I would like to know how many times. I can probably count it on one hand, am I right?” the redhead paused, twisting the cap off her water, “You guys are going to be fine. Even if you see less of each other that won’t change anything. It’s only temporary.” She chugged half the bottle, “So how many times? I’m right aren’t I?”
Emily shrugged, “I don’t know more than five.”
“With yelling and everything?”
“Okay maybe more like 5 then”
The two girls laughed. Maybe her brother was right, they were an old married couple.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow, it has been four months since I updated. I'm really sorry to anyone still reading. Anyways, hope you still like it!