Status: updates will slow down

Harbour Lights and Lonely Nights

The Wait

Emily’s hotel room was small but it had a sweeping view of the lights of Pittsburgh when she first entered it and in the morning when she woke up every surface brightened with the touch of sunlight. Under the hotel sheets her body found no energy or reason to remove them. A new morning meant a new day, meant a day to pass until she would see Sidney again. What should she do in the foreign city? Should she wait for number 87 to show her around?

The lack of plans set for that day made it nearly impossible for Emily to pull herself from the warm confines of the bed and by the time she stumbled into the shower it was almost noon. She wanted coffee. She knew that much. Hotel coffee was the worst. That was true everywhere she had travelled.

There were coffee shop names she didn’t recognize as she walked around. Somewhere she knew there would be a Starbucks. There always was.

So far Pittsburgh hadn’t proven to be too different from what she knew back home. Some stores had funny names but most were recognizable. The main difference she noticed was in the light. Pittsburgh had a very distinct light from her Atlantic home. It wasn’t better or worse, brighter or dimmer, it was just inexplicably different. As was the smell in the air.

It was only two blocks before the familiar green and white mermaid came into view. The store was relatively empty but they seemed to be fully staffed. At least four baristas could be numbered behind the counter. She ordered from the first one and went to the fourth to watch her drink being made.

“Nice shirt.” The girl making Emily’s drink smiled. In forgetfulness she had to look down to even realize what shirt she was wearing. It was blue t-shirt with a small minimalistic Canadiens logo in the middle. She wasn’t big on wearing team shirts when she wasn’t at a game but this one had been a special one because Sidney had bought it for her forever ago. There was no leaving it out of her suitcase. The shirt had become an article of comfort as much as an article of clothing.
“Thanks. Are you a hockey fan?”
The barista shrugged, watching intently as she stopped the foam from sliding into the cup. “My dad is crazy for it so I grew up in a house with it. We were a Blackhawks family though. Just don’t tell anyone. This city is crazy for their beloved Penguins.”
“So I’ve heard.”
“Does that mean you’re from Montreal then?”
“Nova Scotia.”
“and what brings you to the ‘Burgh?”
“Visiting a friend.”
The redhead handed Emily the cup, placing the lid on firmly. “Well I hope you like it here. I know I wasn’t planning on staying but four years later and look where I am.”

Even after Emily had been walking around for quite a while and her grande latte was almost gone the words spoken to her by the barista seemed uncanny. She wondered, could she picture her self walking these streets to work every day? Then again she wondered, why would she try to picture it? Sidney had been back in her life not even a full 24 hours, she couldn’t really be considering Pittsburgh as a viable option to her dilemma, just because it’s where he was drafted all those years ago. She barely knew him anymore.

---

The day had been a rough one for Sidney. Lack of sleep made him tired and the thoughts of seeing Emily again made him anxious. Jordan had made sure to let him know how much “fun” he had missed the night before and got on his case once again about going out with them tomorrow. There was no way he could, not when the thoughts of seeing Emily again had so consumed his thoughts but he didn’t want Jordan to know about her. He didn’t want anyone from his new life to know about her, not yet. It wasn’t shame or embarrassment that fuelled this desire but rather selfishness. The moment they became aware of her he’d have to share her attention and her limited time. So he just declined. He was too tired, he had too many things to do, all the usual excuses. He wondered if he seemed different to Emily. To him, other than in appearance Emily seemed very similar to the fun-loving, easy-to-get-along-with girl he had always known. She still seemed a little lost to him but there was something akin to maturity that showed itself when she had spoken of her travels. The things she had learnt and the things she had seen. There was so much of life he had never experienced but he knew, even if he had done the travelling Emily had, he’d come right back to hockey. By the tender age of 3 his heart had already been claimed by it.

At home that night he walked by the phone and noticed the blinking light.

Hi Sidney, it’s your mother. Maybe you’re not home. I just wanted to check in but if you’re busy or have company then no need to hurry and call me back… I just—I just hope you are having a nice time. You deserve it Sid. Your father and I love you.

He laughed at his mother and her meddling ways but at that moment he was actually grateful for them. This at least was worthy of a call back. His fingers rapidly moved across the familiar numbers and he held the phone to his ear, heading to the kitchen for some water.

“Sidney?” his mother’s voice answered always one step ahead of him.
“Hi mom. I just got your message.”
“Oh? Did you have company over yesterday then?” The smile and knowing in her words were so thinly veiled he wondered if she was actually making a valid effort to hide them.
“Actually ma, Emily showed up yesterday. Fancy that, huh?”
“That’s weird! How is she?”
“Did you not get a good enough idea when you gave her my address?” his tone was light. He was having a little fun.
“So, she told you?”
“She did.”
“Well I thought it might be nice for you two to see each other. I know you missed her when she left for England.”
“I did, thanks mom.” The sincerity of his words caught his mother off guard. Never had her meddling been met with appreciation instead of annoyance. It was nice for her to know she could still do right by her son.
“Well, I hope you two have a nice visit.”
“We will. How are Taylor and dad?”
“Your farther is… well he’s your father. I think Taylor might have her eyes set on a boy though. One of her best friends.”
Sidney didn’t like the sound of that. He could remember being a teenage boy and the thoughts that ran through his head concerning his own female bestfriend. “Well I’ll have to meet him when I come up next.”
“He’s a nice boy, you’ll like him. But I have to go hun, I’ve got food on the stove.”
“Alright mom, I’ll talk to you later.”
“Love you. Take care of Emily while she’s there.”
“Of course”

As annoying as she could be there were times when his mom knew better than anyone how to cheer Sidney up. Tonight he really would get a good rest and tomorrow he would go to practise and then he would take Emily out to see his city.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you so much to those who commented :)