Tales Of Twisted Faith

Chapter 24

I sat playing in the sand with Zachary and Michael. I don't know what's so appealing about sand. I mean it's not very clean, and all you can really do is push it around. Yet it was still fun.

"You guys want to go play on something else? Maybe the swings, they look fun," I said trying to convince the two toddlers. Zack stood up trying to pull Michael along with him before racing off to the kiddie jungle gym. I quickly followed them watching them both climb the two stairs to the slide. "Come down one at a time and I'll catch you, okay," I called, hoping they understood what I meant.

A moment later Micheal came down the slide. I quickly grabbed him and set him down next to me. Zachary came down a minute later. They raced up to the slide again, Michael first and Zachary second, making sure Micheal didn't fall or get hurt.

Zack's really protective of Michael. Zachary's the youngest, but Micheal is the smallest and he's clumsy and awkward on his feet so it seems like he's the youngest. Zack watches Micheal like a hawk, making sure he doesn't get hurt and he's there to help him when he gets into trouble. Sometimes I wish I had a bond like that with someone. They're incredibly lucky.

I looked around the park and noticed Frankie staring at me. I smiled and waved at him, just barely catching Micheal. I caught Zack and looked over, nearly jumping out of my skin.

"Holy hell Frankie! What are you doing standing right there," I nearly shouted.

"Look at them. They're so connected. They have a special sibling bond. I wish I had something that special," he said watching Zack help Micheal up the stairs. "Is that stupid of me to think?"

"Of course not Frankie, I've thought the same thing actually. Besides, you've got me Frankie," I said taking his hand.

"Thanks Jade," he said pulling me in for a hug.

"So wanna switch me kids? Where are David and Justine," I asked looking at him contently.

"Sure, they were on the monkey bars."

"Okay," I said walking across the wood chips over to where the 'bigger' kids play. Sure enough David and Justine were by the monkey bars. David was going back and forth on them and Justine looked scared. "Go Davey," I shouted from a few feet away hoping not to scare him and cause him to fall.

"Green," he screamed getting to the other end faster.

"You're really good at those," I told him when he got to where I was. "Do you want to try Justine?"

"Wha' if I fall," she asked glancing at the bars.

"I'll tell you what, I'll hold your legs, that way if you fall I can catch you."

"Um," she still didn't look sure of it.

"It's okay, I'll be there the whole time. You don't have today if you don't want to."

"I'll try it," she said with a grimace.

"You don't have to do this, sweetheart," I assured her.

"I wanna," she said stepping up to the bar. I picked her up by her legs and she gripped onto the bar. Moving her hands to the next one, I moved a step. "My hands hurt, I can't get to the next one. Can we stop," she asked after moving four bars.

"Yes, just let go of the bar." She nodded and took one hand off at a time. I gently set her on the ground. I looked around for the other part of our group. Frankie was walking over to us with the boys in his arms.

"Jade, do you think we could head home? Zack and Mike are tired and it's getting close to lunch," Frankie said struggling to hold both the toddlers.

"Micheal come here," I called pulling him into my arms. "Yeah we should be heading home. Davey hold Frankie's hand, Justine come hold mine."