Austin's Ambrosia

lakes & smokes

“Hey Austin.”

He was smoking Marlboro again; that monthly cigarette that he always kept to himself for a special occasion or two. He didn’t like people see him smoke, it was something he grew up thinking as rude, but did so anyway. He still didn’t like people so see him actually do it; it wasn’t right for him. He was sure people thought he was trying to hide it. He couldn’t blame them. He always flicked whatever was left of his cig as soon as someone got near. He hated being rude.

“Hey Amber.” He’d be terribly dishonest if he said he instantly recognized her voice. After all, only Amber greeted him so quietly and shyly. It was cute, but it always left him jumpy and wondering if someone really talked to him, or if it was one of those moments were a far out cry sounded like his name. “Shouldn’t you be in class?” He grinned at her, his slightly crooked teeth giving his face an authentic Austin smile.

Amber stared at him, the words lost somewhere in her mouth. “I didn’t. I mean, feel like going. I’m, well, not that good with math. And numbers.” He smiled at her, this time his lips firmly hiding away his teeth. She seemed to get over her trip up and smiled back. “Ah, I was just sent to call you. London needs you. Well, not need, but.” She turned around to look at the main building. “I’m not sure. Waiting, for something.” He started to walk around the stones near the lake.

“Waiting?” He was trying to humor her; distract her from the nerves that were obviously chewing her up. She was no born spokesman, and always got nervous whenever talking to someone. He couldn’t understand that part of her, being too friendly and open most of the time himself. To each his own, he supposed.

“Yeah, waiting.” She fumbled with the long sleeve of her faded blue turtle neck. He liked the coconut pendant on her neck, but didn’t comment on it.

“If you say so, Amberly.” He walked right past her, a knowing smile always on his face. She hated being called anything but Amber. Of course he knew. He even started to count from one to three, expecting her to react once he reached three, but instead, heard an indignant huff in the middle of four and five.

“Don’t… you’re always like this.” She walked past him, her cheeks red and swollen looking. “Hurry, okay?” Her flip flops slapped the rocks as she walked over them, walking towards campus and leaving behind a bemused Austin. He slowly started to walk after her, only to turn around and look at the lake.

“Hey, Amby?” He didn’t look at her. “I just forgot something, I’ll be quick.” He started to walk back to the shore. “Real quick, I promise.” He hated to be rude, but he never minded being a liar. As long as he was proper, it didn’t affect him. He didn’t even bother to turn around when she said she’d wait for him. It was rude to leave someone waiting- but she had the choice to leave. So he pulled out another Marlboro.

It was, after all, rude to interrupt someone’s smoking time.
♠ ♠ ♠
new project i'm working on. ♥ hope you enjoy.

feedback is invaluable and appreciated.