Austin's Ambrosia

accents & lies

He liked the rueful irony life sometimes tossed in his way. He wanted to smile and shoulder Amber and tell her that much; but he knew it’d look terribly rude to interrupt London, who was absolutely livid with her temper. Her British temper, as he’d call it.

“Where in the fucking hell were you?” She seethed through her red lips, unaware that one of her teeth had been stained with the vivid color. “You promised me a ride to Logan’s place. You’re a man, aren’t you? Live up to your word.” She was tapping her foot anxiously and looking at the plain white clock on the plain mustard wall. All while Amber stood there and strangled her sweater’s sleeve. He wondered if it was appropriate to tell London that her teeth was stained, or inform Amber that she’ll stretch the fabric on her sleeve. He decided to stay quiet.

“Sure London. Calm your knickers, as you’d say.” He grinned genuinely, not once admitting that he had, in fact, forgotten his promise. London tried to smile back, but it came out as a mediocre snarl. “I’ll take you to Logan’s place. Amber and I were just talking.” London jumped at this and started to walk out of the hallway, making explicitly sure that the two other ‘slow buffoons good for nothing’ were on her heels.

“Charming, really. You know how I love your excuses, Aus. Terribly brilliant.” Her sarcasm was sharp, but Austin simply laughed along with her, as if she’d been complimenting him all along. Amber was still quiet. As far as London opened her mouth and sang everything with her Brit accent, Austin couldn’t care any less if she cursed him away. It was amusing.

He didn’t even defend himself on that one, simply following London with a smile. It was Amber that spoke up. “Aren’t classes about to start?” Her voice was edging on panic, but she made sure to sound slightly uninterested. Austin’s smile widened. He knew what a boot-licker Amber could be, and he couldn’t help but feel that she needed a little dose of life.

“Just ten minutes, Am. It’s not that far away.” He opened the door of his chipped Chevrolet, ignoring London’s urgent words ‘quick, you slacker’. He closed the door after Amber and got in the driver’s seat. He started up the car.

“You know where Logan’s place is, right?” London was going through his CD cases.

Austin flashed London a trademark smirk. “Absolutely Lon-lon. By the way, sorry for the mess, Amberly.” He bit in a laugh. “I know how bad it is back there…” He didn’t get to finish, listening to the unmistakable shift of papers, books, boxes and the sound of his flip-flops being tossed sideways. He could see her crouching on the backseat, not knowing where to put her feet, not to mention her behind.

“It’s… okay. I’ll just move some stuff and,” she paused, and he could listen to more papers. “There.” He sincerely doubted she was comfortable, but if she didn’t say anything, he wouldn’t butt in.

“Turn left, you bloke.” He shifted his attention to London, who was wiping her teeth with her index finger. “And next time, I’d appreciate you pointing out the obvious.” Austin licked his lips.

“No idea what you’re talking about.” He stopped the car on the red light. London popped her lips.

“Austin, you’re going to burn in hell for being such a liar. Have I told you that?” She eyed him and reached for his shoulder, flicking away a dead leaf. Austin was oddly quiet, but he smiled again.

“Many times, Lon.” He sneaked a glance on the rearview mirror, noticing with amusement that Amber was still trying to accommodate the papers and books. “All good back there?”

“I didn’t know you were interested in iguanas.”

“I’m not.”

He parked the car in front of an apartment complex, glancing at London expectantly. “The chariot has arrived!” He tried to simulate her accent, knowing how much it irritated her.

“Give it up, Aus,” she let out a loose laugh. “You’re just… terrible.” She opened the door and stepped out.

“Terribly brilliant, I’d say.” He chuckled as London slammed the door and told him to ‘quit it.’ Austin then turned to the backseat, his dimple very accentuated on his cheek. “Ready for a trip, Am?” He didn’t miss the open panic that crossed her features, her hands automatically clasping together.

“Trip?” Her voice was hesitant. “I have class in less than thirty minutes.”

He gave her a hearty Austin laugh, turning back to the wheel and starting up the car. “I know. We’ll be back in time, don’t worry.” And that’s how Austin started his trip to the nearest lake, telling Amber the whole way how crucial it was that he got to his parents to deliver the iguana care books.

“My dad loves his iguana,” he said.
♠ ♠ ♠
♥ comments are highly appreciated.