Status: in progress..

Never Say Never

Forty-Three.

"You're gonna be an aunt in a few months, can you believe it?" I said to my baby sister, Aurora, while holding her. She's a month old.

"I can't believe it either," Stephanie said, "There's no way your daughter is calling Aurora her aunt when they're both the same age,"

"Yeah, definitely." The current show was ending, me and Randy were heading home for a few days. The Raw roster has a few days off so Randy doesn't have to be back on the road until the end of the week, "I'll see you guys soon" I told my mom as I handed Aurora back to her, giving her a hug in the process

"Tell Randy to drive safely," Mom said. Dad also gave me a hug before I left them. We were in Kansas City, MO, it wasn't far at all from home so we were driving.

"Ready?" Randy asked

"Yeah,"

The next day it was raining, it had been raining all day. Stupid weather. I've basically been sleeping off and on all day because yet again, I wasn't feeling good.

"What do you want for dinner?" I asked Randy

"It doesn't matter. Whatever you feel like making," He said as he popped a pill into his mouth. From so many injuries and working on the road, his body hurts, mostly his shoulder. Like all wrestlers, he gets painkillers and takes them. Some wrestlers get addicted though and I'm afraid Randy might be.

"Cereal it is then?"

"Okay, maybe it does matter. No cereal!"

"I'll find something"

"Want some help?"

"No, I got this. Are you okay?" I ask him as he pops another one into his mouth

"Yeah, my shoulder is killing me, that's all."

He's had surgery on the same shoulder twice, its no wonder he's in pain. I head into the kitchen to figure out what to make for dinner. Now that I think about it, I don't feel like making shit. I'm having a little pain in my stomach, no idea what that could be. I make myself some tea as I defrost some chicken. I'm making chicken for dinner...something chicken.

"You have no idea what you want?" I asked, popping my head into the other room

"I don't care," He mumbled. He must be in a mood. I swear, sometimes he's worse than me.

"Whatever," I went back into the kitchen and looked through the cabinets. Chicken Alfredo it is. Once the chicken was defrosted all the way, I threw it in a skillet and started to cook it. Being the good girlfriend I am, I made sure Randy was okay with what we were eating, "Chicken Alfredo okay?"

I waited for an answer but he said nothing, "What? You're ignoring me now?" I was getting a little ticked off, still he said nothing. "RANDY!" Ugh. I came into the room, turned off the TV and stepped in front of him, "Um..hello?" His eyes were closed and I thought he fell asleep, but then I didn't see him breathing, "RANDY!"

I kneeled down next to him and felt that he wasn't breathing. "Oh my god, oh my god, Randy!" I ran into the kitchen, grabbing the phone and I dialed 911.

"911, whats your emergency?"

"My boyfriend isn't breathing, you have to send someone here fast! I don't know what happened, he just stopped breathing out of nowhere, please! Hurry!"

"Ma'am, I need you to calm down. The ambulance is on their way. Can you tell me about your boyfriend, tell me what happened."

"I--I, what? that's irrelevant! He just needs help! I don't know what happened!"

"Okay, ma'am, the ambulance are there, do you see them?"

"Yes," I said as I hung up on her. I heard the sirens and saw the flashing lights. I opened the door quickly and lead them to him. "Please, help him!"

My head is spinning, this all just feels like a bad dream. Before I knew it, I was in the back of the ambulance watching the EMT's help Randy.

"Okay, he's stable." The one EMT said

"Can you tell us what happened, ma'am?" The other one asked

"I don't know what to tell you," I started, "One moment he was fine, I leave the room for a few minutes, I come back and he's not breathing,"

"Did he take anything?"

"I saw him take two Vicodin, but I don't know if he took any more,"

We arrived at the hospital, they immediately rushed Randy away, leaving me behind. I sat down slowly, pulled my phone out and called his parents.

"Hello?" Randy's dad asked

I tried to hide the sobbing in my voice, but it was hard, "Bob, I need you to come to the hospital."

"Is the baby coming early??" He asked in a panic

"No," I sobbed, "It's Randy. He--he stopped breathing and had to be rushed to the hospital."

"I'm coming-" Then the line went dead. I sat in silence, crying. I never felt so alone and scared in my life. I need to calm down, I need to calm down.

"Do you need anything ma'am?" The receptionist asked me, "Are you feeling any-"

"No," I lightly smiled the best I could, "My baby is okay, thank you."

I didn't look up, but I heard Randy's family, mostly his mother, demanding to know whats happening with her son. I really need to get it together, I feel like I'm gonna be sick. "Come here, sweetie." Becky sat down next to me and wrapped her arms around me, she let me cry on her. I didn't say a word to her or anybody, I had nothing to say. I was just in shock, staring at the floor, letting the tears fall. Before I knew it, I was just staring at the floor, tuning out the conversations around me.

"Joanna Levesque," My head popped up when I heard my name being called by the doctor. I stood up quickly, "Randy's awake.-"

Before I let him continue, I notified him that his family were here too, then he talked to all of us, "We had to pump his stomach and had him swallow activated charcoal. He's not in any pain but he isn't feeling well and he's weak."

"So he overdosed?"

"Yes. Accidental is what he says and what it looks like. The two pills you told the EMT's about were in his system, along with a lot more. Narcotics should only be taken every 6-8 hours, Randy wasn't following his prescribed amount. That's typically how most people accidentally overdose."

"He's gonna be okay, right?" Nathan asked

"He's gonna be just fine. He might feel a little sick but it will pass. But he needs to get off the pills. A mental health doctor is going to come in to speak with him."

"Can I see him?" I ask

"Yes, of course. You can all see him, right this way."

Randy's dad put his hand on his wife's shoulder, "You go ahead, Joanna."

I nodded my head and followed the doctor, "Are you sure he's fine?"

"Yes, he's fine." He told me as he pushed the door open

"Good," I said as he left, leaving me alone with Randy.

"Hey..." Randy said, still weak. Instead of saying 'hey' or giving him a hug, I reacted differently. "OW!" Yes, I smacked him, "What the hell, babe?"

"Are you out of your fucking mind! You could of died!"

"It was an accident! I didn't mean to, calm down, please."

"You're so stupid!"

"Stop, please. We'll talk about this later. Now, come here." Randy pulled me by my arm then rested his hand on my stomach, "How's my baby girl?"

"Well she hasn't been born prematurely yet, so I'm guessing not so bad," I tell him in a sarcastic tone

"Okay, I know, I get it. I screwed up-"

"You sound like a teenage boy!"

"Stop yelling. I didn't think it would get like this-"

The door opened and his family was coming in, "We'll talk about this later."

I left Randy's side for a moment so his family could see him, mostly so his mother could smother him with her love or whatever. The doctor entered the room again and I went to talk to him.

"Can he come home with me tonight?" I ask the doctor

"That is up to the mental health specialist," The doctor said

"He's not suicidal or anything."

"We just have to be sure, make sure he's not a threat to himself or others."

I nodded my head and looked on, "Is that why he's so big? From the painkillers?"

"I don't follow?"

"I mean, he's always been big, he's a wrestler. But he used to be lean, he doesn't look how he used to two years ago. It's not that he's fat, but its like his face is blown up, puffy."

"He has steroids in his system, which did not play a part in the overdose. Although they are illegal, we aren't going to say anything to his employer, we're not the babysitter. I know it's very common in professional wrestling though, as well as painkiller addiction."

I nodded my head and walked back over to Randy, taking a seat with him on the bed and I grab his hand. I am so pissed but I'm happy he's okay. Another doctor walks in, the mental health specialist. "I'm gonna need everyone to exit the room while I talk to Mr. Orton"

"She can stay, " Randy said as he held onto my arm

The doctor nodded and got right to it, "Randy, how are you doing in your work and home life? Feeling any pressures? Pressures from your job? From your family? Are you scared about the impending birth of your baby?"

"Is this really necessary? I'm not suicidal."

"Mr. Orton-"

"The over dose was an accident. I'm on the road working more than half the week. I take a lot of bumps in the ring, I work through my injuries, through the pain. I've had surgery in the same shoulder twice. The painkillers help and I got addicted, it happens in this business I work in"

"But why did you feel the need to keep taking the pills after you've healed?"

Randy practically laughed at her, "Well, because I was still in pain"

"Mr. Orton-"

"Why would I wanna commit suicide? I'm a successful, talented, attractive, cocky son of a bitch." I stopped myself from laughing, "I have a beautiful, amazing girlfriend and a daughter on the way. I love my life."

She wrote some stuff down on a paper, then looked up at him, "You're gonna have an overnight stay. But since it's almost 3AM, its more like a few hour stay. You can be released in the morning before noon and after nine."

"Thank you," She left the room, leaving the two of us alone, "I know you're scared and pissed, but-"

"I'm really tired, we can talk about it tomorrow. All that matters is you're okay."

"Go home and get some sleep," Randy said before kissing my forehead, "Just don't forget me in the morning."

"We'll see," I hopped off the bed, "Get some sleep and rest up, hopefully you'll feel better in the morning."

"I love you,"

"I love you, too." I let him be and went outside, "Can you drive me home, Becky?"

"Of course."