Status: short story

China Doll

China Doll

I stood transfixed.
My eyes finding her hollow ones from across the room.
They sent chills running down my spine and goosebumps up my arms.
Though it was dark I saw her cruel, haunting smile. Clear as day.
Her exposed death hung out like daggers, ready for the kill.
Body shaking. Heart pounding. Blood rushing in my ears. I took a tentative step forward.
I realized to late that something was very wrong. As I dropped into the velvety darkness of that nightmare, my brain slowed down and everything started running together. The last thing I remember seeing before losing consciousness is the little china doll peering into the hole in the floor. A look of pure evil plastered on her pale face.

I woke up screaming, but the light streaming in through the window told me I was safe and home in my bed. I still had a tight hold on my life. But how long would it be until my grip loosened? Until it all together slipped?
By shaking away the confusion and panic, I had come back to my senses. It was only a terrible dream. Right?

Self doubt arose when a small disembodied voice like nails on a chalkboard wondered aloud "Or was it?" Blood suddenly racing and heart hammering against my chest, I slowly looked up.I instantly regretted it as my worst fears were confirmed by the ghostly sight of the china doll. Knuckles turning white from gripping the covers on my bed; I turned my head away, refusing to allow her cold and empty eyes to boor into mine. "Just go away!' My whimpering voice pleaded. She cocked her head, squinted her eyes and whispered "I will. In time, my dear. I will."
Mustering up the courage to turn my head back around, I was surprised to find her gone. Vanished just like that. I spent the rest of the day in bed, playing the whole thing over and over again in my head. I was left clueless and petrified.

...but then again, that's how she plays her games. I was just the new pawn in her never ending attempt to amuse herself. My life was of no concern. That's what it's like being a demon's new, shiny toy. If only there was an official guide book.