Sparked Up

Like a Book of Matches

“Ellie!” Ellie jumped the couch and ran into the bathroom, locking the door while Roxie banged on it. “Open this door, right now!”

“No! You’re gonna kill me, which I think is super counter productive considering I just got you a date with a hottie!” Roxie groaned loudly and banged on the door some more. “It’s true!”

“Stop playing match-maker! I can take care of myself, thank you very much.” Roxie banged her fist against the door once more for good measure and walked away. Ellie stayed, cowering in the bathroom, for a couple more minutes then carefully and slowly crept out. “Elle...” Roxie sighed into the tea she had made herself when Ellie joined her at the table.

“I think you’ll really like him.” Roxie rolled her eyes, sipping from her mug.

“You said that last time, and the time before that and...” Ellie rolled her eyes.

“Yeah, yeah, those were just glitches in my project. I have a really good feeling about Oliver, a feeling I haven’t had since I set up Sarah and Sean.” Roxie considered this.

Ellie had been working with the Harry Potter productions since she was young. She was just an intern then, but as she grew up she landed herself a permanent place there and with the cast. It was because of this Ellie had set up her sister, Sarah, and Sean Biggerstaff, the guy who had played Oliver Wood.

To this day, they were still going strong, roughly two years later with a nervous Sean, still considering popping the question.

“I suppose, not all of your blind dates go bad, considering where Sarah and Sean are now.” Which was back in the states, Sarah working with a computer business and Sean acting in Hollywood. It turned out pretty good for both of them.

“So will you go on a date with him?” Roxie sighed, suddenly wondering why she chose to live with Ellie while she was studying abroad. Ellie gave her wide puppy eyes and Roxie shook her head.

“Oliver...” Roxie mumbled under her breath, trying to link the name with a face but failing to do so. She sighed and looked at Ellie who was pouting her perfect lips while her brown-hazel-ish eyes were widened to a puppy pout. “Ugh, stop with the eyes, I was already gonna say yes.” Ellie smiled, showing off her straight, white teeth and leaned across the table to hug Roxie.

“Thank you, so much, Rox. I don’t think you’ll regret it.” Roxie was not so sure.



“So?” Ellie looked Roxie up and down, kneeling to straighten out the end out the skirt a little. Standing back up, she pulled a piece of hair to rest by her face.

“Just in case.” Ellie sighed and nodded. “Okay, you look great.” Roxie nodded, feeling nervous, which was odd for going on a blind date. Ellie wasn’t always known for being so on spot.

“How will I know again?” Ellie put an arm around her waist while Roxie did the same.

“Another one of my floral cues. There will be a wreath of purple roses, the same shade as your dress, on the table. Thank Acey.” Roxie could only imagine that conversation.

There was a harsh knock on her door and Acey rolled her eyes, getting up from her graphic designs to answer it. She just knew who was behind it.

“Yes, Ellie?” Ellie smiled and handed her a paint color piece like the kind you could get at Home Depot and a white rose. “Another one?”

“Please, mention it’s for Rox and I know your mom’ll say yes.” Acey sighed and looked at the color piece.

“Purple?”

“It’ll match her dress. The rose has to be this color, Robes For The Queen.” Acey gave Ellie a long stare, setting the rose and color piece aside. “Okay, if this being for one of our best friends doesn’t help you decide, I’ll set you up with Roxie’s date’s twin.” Acey let out a laugh and smiled.

“How about you do that and the three of us go shopping this weekend.” Ellie nodded. “Thanks.” Ellie hugged Acey and left her with the rose and color piece.


“I’m persuasive.” Roxie shook her head. Shopping sounded like a brilliant plan to her anyway. “Okay, have fun.” Roxie hugged Ellie and disappeared into the restaurant.



Oliver tapped his fingers against the table, waiting for his date. Quickly looking at his watch, which read 6:24, his nerves only got worse knowing Ellie had said 6:30 on the dot would Roxie get there.

“Why did I let her talk me into this?” Oliver asked himself aloud, considering just leaving, but knowing it would just break that girl’s heart.

“Oliver, she’s really sweet and I have a great feeling about this.” Oliver sighed, staring down at his coffee. Ellie put a hand on his arm. “I think you’ll like Roxie, I swear.”

“Why are you asking me?” Ellie rolled her eyes.

“Because she’s my roommate and means the world to me. I know you’ll treat her right and I truly believe you two would be great together.” Oliver ran a hand through his hair which was slowly losing it’s red color. “Please.”

“I don’t really do blind dates, Elle.”

“Do this one, just this one.” Ellie let out a laugh, as did Oliver. “That came out wrong. Don’t actually do Roxie, that would only make things that much more awkward.” Oliver smirked.

“I didn’t think our relationship was awkward at all.”

“Except the fact that you and James can never seem to stop flirting with me. How many times do I have to tell you, I’m not interested.” Ellie smacked his shoulder with a magazine and leaned back, falling into laughs with Oliver.

“Right, because we both know you’re only interested in Tom.” Ellie leaned across the table to smack him with her magazine again, her cheeks going a darker shade of pink than they naturally were.

“Shut up, you big oaf. Come on, I just have this feeling it’ll go well. You know as well as I do about my feelings.” Oliver knew that for sure, after the Sarah and Sean thing and the fact that she knew Deathly Hallows was going to be big, bigger than any of them were expecting even though it was ending the series.

“Fine, just this once.” Ellie smiled brightly over her coffee cup. “I blame the fact that you would’ve pulled out the puppy pout on me responsible for why I am agreeing.”

“You’re still agreeing, none the less.”


Oliver checked his watch again, the minute just changing to 6:30. He took a deep breath, knowing his wait was almost over.

The sound of the door opening and closing caught his attention, and he saw a girl in a purple dress walk in.

Her dress will match the roses on the table, was what Ellie had said. Oliver felt his breath catch in his throat when he saw how beautiful this brunette was. Her straight, layered dark brown hair fell just past her shoulders above her bust. Her eyes were shy, looking around, and lined with black liner. A black pendant rested on her upper chest, a purple dress resting on her curvy frame fell to just above her knees, her black boots beginning just below them.

Oliver couldn’t believe Ellie had set him up with a girl like her. She was so beautiful and Oliver was swooning a little.

“May I help you?” Roxie turned to the hostess.

“No, thank you, I’m meeting someone.” The hostess nodded and Roxie peered around the restaurant, her eyes landing on the roses. She smiled a little, and noticed the guy at the table. She bit her lip when she noticed how handsome he was.

He had dark hair that was just past his ears and down to the bottom of is neck in the back. He was dressed in black slacks with a matching blazer with a white shirt underneath. The first couple buttons were undone casually and Roxie could feel herself fall. She clenched her hands into fists, her nails digging into her palms while she tried to work up the courage to approach the table.

With another deep breath, she walked over to the table. Oliver looked up at her, while Roxie took the chair across from him.

“You’re Oliver, right?”

“Yeah, and you’re Roxie?” She nodded and Oliver smiled. “Nice to meet you.”

“You too. I also wanna apologize for Ellie putting you up to this.” Oliver laughed a little.

“It’s no problem, in fact, I’m kinda glad I said yes.”

“Just kind of.” Oliver tilted his head while Roxie’s eyes gave a mischievous twinkle. Oliver gently took her hand, pressed a kiss to the back of it while Roxie’s cheek blushed a tint of pink.

“Very glad.”



“He was a gentleman, and you were so right, Ellie.” Ellie sipped her iced frap with a smirk.

“You should listen to me more.” Roxie rolled her eyes with Acey and sifted through her things. “Hey, Acey, you still want me to set you up with James?” Acey looked at her funny. “Oliver’s twin brother.”

“Oh my god, we could double date.” Roxie said with sarcastic enthusiasm. Acey elbowed her and Roxie laughed.

“If everything goes as well as it did between Rox and Oliver, why not.” Ellie laughed a little, her phone going off. “Let’s play the guessing game, Rox. The Who Is Calling Ellie game.” Ellie sneered and answered her phone. “I bet it’s Oliver to thank Ellie for the date.”

“Nope, it’s Tom, as usual, to flirt.” Ellie made a cutting motion across her throat to get her to stop.

“No, it’s Rox and Acey. Nah, we’re going shopping. No, I’m not with any boys.” Ellie laughed a little while Roxie and Acey waited for her to say the name. “Why don’t you ask out Emma if you’re so desperate? You’ll regret you ever said that, Thomas Felton.” Roxie gave Acey a look and Acey dropped some money in her hand. “I’m sorry, Tom, I have to go or you’ll be witness to my friends murders and I can’t let you live if that happens. Mm-hm, bye.” Ellie hug up the phone and glared at them.

“So how’s Tom?”

“Zip it.” Roxie shrugged going back to her drink.

“Would you ask him out? Your sexual tension is almost tangible.” Ellie shoved Acey’s shoulder a little. “Well it is! Listening to you two dance around your issues is disgusting and I can only imagine how awkward it must’ve been at work, especially when you two were so hormone ridden.” Ellie blushed and shrugged.

“It’s, complicated...” Acey rolled her eyes and grabbed Ellie’s phone. “What are you doing?!”

“Doing you a favor, Rox.” Roxie held Ellie back while Acey called Tom back. “Hello? Yeah, Tom, it’s Acey. I know, I stole her phone. Hey, do you wanna go on a date with Elle? Good! How about Saturday, pick her up at seven? Okay, bye, Tom.” Acey tossed Ellie her phone, which Ellie shoved in her bag, about to kill Acey. “I did all the work for you, so you should be happy.” Ellie shook her head.

“Back to Roxie, are you and Oliver going out again?”

“I don’t know, neither of us has called. It’s the whole 12 to 24 hours thing.” Ellie rolled her eyes.

“I thought that was a stupid rule. Just call him and ask him out again, Oliver would be cool with it.” Roxie shook her head. “You and your stupid dating rules. But I guess I’ll have to abide by them now that I’m going on a date with Tom.” Ellie sneered at Acey.

“I told you, I did you a favor. Now you owe me a date with James.” Ellie rolled her eyes, tossing her empty cup.

“Yeah, yeah, come on, I want that Blink shirt from Hot Topic before we go.”



“Rox, Rox... get up.” Roxie rolled over and Ellie sighed. She left the bedroom and grabbed her keys. “Oliver, she is all yours. I have to go meet Tom and don’t be having too much fun.” Ellie winked, about to head out the door.

“You too.” Ellie sneered, but her naturally rosy cheeks got a little darker at his implications. She shut the door and Oliver crept into Roxie’s room. Roxie was lying on her back, but one of her legs bent at the knee, her hips tilted a little so her other leg was resting on it’s side. One arm was laid out flat beside her, the other resting on her stomach.

Oliver crept onto her bed, straddling her waist. Roxie moaned at the sudden added weight but didn’t open her eyes, turning her head to the side. Oliver smirked and leaned down, pressing light kisses to her neck. Roxie smiled, slowly tilting her head back as she turned her head, entwining her fingers in his hair.

“Oliver, what are you doing here?”

“How do you know it’s Oliver?” Oliver had pitched his voice between his and his brother’s, resting his hands on her waist.

“Because it would be a very strange thing to wake up to any other person kissing me and I’d have some serious questions for James if he was here.” Oliver smiled, still kissing her neck. “Oliver, it’s early, I just wanna sleep.”

“My dear, it’s 11:30.” Roxie moaned and shoved him away.

“I was up until five writing a term paper, let me sleep.” Roxie tried to roll over and opened her eyes just to glare at him. Oliver got off of her to lay down beside her. “You’re not gonna let me sleep, are you?” Oliver considered this, slipped under her blankets, wrapped an arm around her waist and kissed the back of her shoulder.

“Go to sleep, I’ll just lie here with you.”

“Oliver, you don’t have to do that.” Oliver rested his chin on her shoulder.

“Go to sleep, babe.” Roxie nestled against his chest and closed her eyes, Oliver’s hand gently stroking her hair. Her breathing evened out and Oliver slowly released her, about to leave when she mumbled:

“Don’t even dare, Phelps.” Oliver chuckled and wrapped his arms back around her.

“I thought you wanted to sleep and me gone.” Roxie rolled over with a groan, resting her forehead against his chest.

“Nope, I want you right here.” Roxie tiled her head up, pressing her lips against his. Oliver gently cupped her cheek, pulling her on top of him. “Yep, not sleeping now,” Roxie muttered against his lips, tugging at his button down.

“After begging me to leave you alone and let you sleep now you wanna get frisky?” Roxie rolled her eyes, making quick work of his shirt and rolling them over to push it off of him.

“Yes, you great moron. You can only blame yourself.” Oliver let out a laugh and tugged up the hem of Roxie’s t-shirt.