Status: Active

Prove You Wrong

And I Think She Lost Her Mind

I can’t believe it. I stand there completely unable to move as Kristin and Brian walk away, hands clasped. A pain emerges in the pit of my stomach and moves its way up to my chest. It’s hard to breathe. The world starts to spin around me and I have to sit down to stop myself from fainting. “How could she do this?” I think to myself. “Do I mean nothing to her? How could that be when she means everything to me?”

In the proceeding few minutes I attempt to calm myself down. “Maybe they were just rehearsing. They have a kiss in the final scene. Maybe it really didn’t mean anything.” I decide to just ask her at intermission. The pain in my chest is alleviated, but only slightly.

My legs regain feeling and I head back out to the parking lot to meet Jessica. The first few groups of people are starting to arrive as I step out the front door. I search the parking lot for her car, and see her red Dodge Charger parked right next to my Mustang. The door opens and I see her step out. She sees me and flashes me a smile, “Hey, how’d it go?”

I have trouble forcing a smile. “Uh, they wouldn’t let me in,” I lie.

Jessica looks at me with a skeptical frown, “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine. I’m just… nervous for her.” I’ve always been a horrible liar.

“Oh, well, don’t be. I’m sure she’ll do great.”

“Me too.”

“So, are you ready to go in?”

“Yeah.” I take a deep breath and turn back towards the school.

When we get into the theater, it’s nearly full. Jessica and I are forced to sit in the back. It’s a small town, but it seems as though everyone is here. I look around and recognize just about every face I see, all anxious with anticipation for the show to start. A few of them recognize me and say, “Hi,” but none ask where I’ve been. Apparently they didn’t even realize I was gone. I’m engaging in awkward small talk when the lights go off and the curtain opens.

A light shoots onto the stage, displaying a scene of Kristin and some guy seated at a table in a restaurant. She’s wearing the same outfit as I saw her in earlier and he’s wearing a suit equal in elegance. The crowd erupts in applause. The actors pause until the ovation dies out. He’s the first to speak. “You look beautiful tonight.” I hear a few members of the crowd whistle in agreement.

At about this time my mind starts to wander. Obviously they’re on a date. Apparently, the date goes wrong in some way or another. Then, it switches over to Brian with some girl and the same thing happens. This continues a few more times. I’m too distracted to catch any more of the plotline.

It’s intermission before I know it. The curtain closes and the actors retreat backstage. Before the applause dies down I get up and make my way to the exit. I walk over to the dressing rooms where the actors will be making an appearance. I compose my thoughts as they began filing out and meeting with their fans. Kristin is the last one to exit.

Her gaze meets mine. Her eyes get big. I can’t tell if it’s from excitement or worry. “Brandon!”

She rushes to me and throws her arms around me. I lazily put my arms around her. “What are you doing here?”

“We just got back today. I wanted to surprise you.”

“Well it worked!” She laughs.

I catch myself smiling and quickly apply a serious expression. “I have to ask you something.”

“Sure. Ask away.”

“I got here early, before the show. I saw you and Brian.”

Her eyes expand. This time I can tell it’s from worry. “Oh.What did you see exactly?”

“I saw you kiss him. I didn’t want to jump to conclusions though. I figured you guys were just rehearsing. But I wanted to hear it from you. It was just rehearsal, right? It didn’t mean anything?”

“I… Brandon, I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean for it to happen like this. Brian and I have been spending a lot of time together over the past few weeks. He was here. You weren’t. I’m really sorry.”

“And that makes it okay for you to cheat on me?”

“No. I didn’t say that. It’s not okay. I’m sorry. I really am. I didn’t mean to hurt you.”

“Then you shouldn’t have kissed him.” Half because I can’t think of anything to say and half because I don’t want her to see me cry, I turn around and walk away. Nothing has ever hurt this much. I can’t breathe. I now understand why they call it heartbreak. It feels like someone ripped my heart out of my chest. When I get out of the school I’m unable to hold it back anymore and I break down. A weird sound is emitted from my lungs and tears begin falling from my eyes. Luckily almost everyone is in the theater so I’m left alone with my sorrow.