Status: Hiatus.

It Was Always You

September 1st

It was shortly after eleven o’clock and Maxine was searching the train for an empty compartment. She’d been struggling to lift her luggage up into the rack when she felt a pair of hands cover her own to help.

“Thanks,” She grinned, spinning around to find George a few inches behind her. When their eyes met, something interesting happened; something that had never happened before. Maxine felt a small tug in the middle of her stomach, a feeling that she couldn’t describe if she tried. She tried to brush it off, but it wouldn’t let her. It remained for nearly the entire train ride.

It was pouring rain by the time they reached the school. Despite the fact that they were in the shelter of one of the horseless carriages for the entire journey from Hogsmeade to the castle, they’d managed to get soaked during the few minutes they’d gotten in and out of it.

As they walked into the entrance hall, they heard a shriek followed by laughter. Maxine stood on her tip-toes in attempt to see over the heads in front of her, curious as to what was going on.

“It’s Peeves,” Fred informed her, his eyes bright, “He’s dropping water balloons on students.”

“He’s brilliant,” George added.

“PEEVES! Peeves, come down here at once!” Processor McGonagall came out of the Great Hall. “Peeves, get down here NOW!” She barked.

“Not doing nothing,” Peeves cackled, throwing another water balloon that only missed Maxine and the twins by a few feet. “Alright wet, aren’t they? Little squirts! Weeeeeee!” Peeves aimed a balloon that flew right over Maxine’s head and hit a group of second years that had just arrived.

It was only after McGonagall threatened to call Dumbledore that he stuck out his tongue and flew away. Maxine was wrong in thinking that this would be the most exciting part of the night.

As they took their seats at the Gryffindor table, Maxine searched the professors for a new face; each year, a new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor was hired, however she couldn’t find what she was looking for.

Maxine found herself zoning out as the first years were sorted into houses, so much so that she didn’t even notice when the tables were filled with food.

“Maxi,” George stated, sitting across from her, “Maxine!”

“Wha-oh, sorry,” She shrugged, her mind instantly focusing on the feeling in the pit of her stomach. She couldn’t help but worry that he could tell something was different with her, and this made her blush. Luckily, George was too busy shoving his face full of food to notice.

Soon the plates were cleaned and all conversation ceased as Dumbledore began to speak.

“So! Now that we are all fed and watered,” I must once more ask for your attention, while I give a few notices. Mr. Filch, the caretaker, has asked me to tell you that the list of objects forbidden inside the castle has this year extended to include Screaming Yo-Yos, Fanged-Frisbees, and Ever-Bashing Boomerangs.”

“Like that’s gonna stop us,” Fred and George mumbled at the same time.

“The full list,” Dumbledore continued,” comprises some four hundred and thirty-seven items, I believe, and can be viewed in Mr. Filche’s office, if anybody would like to check it.”

Maxine noticed a slight smile play upon Dumbledore’s face as he continued. “As ever, I could like to remind you all that the forest on the grounds is out-of-bounds to students, as is the village of Hogsmeade to all below third year. It is also my painful duty to inform you that the Inter-House Quidditch Cup will not take place this year.”

Fred and George were sitting with their mouths open, unable to form anything to shout for once. Maxine nearly giggled before realizing they’d probably murder her if she did.

“This is due to an event that will be starting in October, and continuing throughout the school year, taking up much of the teachers’ time and energy- but I am sure you will all enjoy it immensely. I have great pleasure in announcing that this year at Hogwarts-”

At that moment, the doors of the Great Hall banged out and thunder so loudly that Maxine jumped sounded. There was a man in the doorway that Maxine had never seen before. As he walked into the Great Hall and towards the Professors’ table, she observed that he had a fake eye, wooden leg, and too many scars to count on his face alone. As he reached Dumbledore, they shook hands before he was directed toward his seat.

“That’s Mad-Eye Moody,” Fred whispered to Maxine, “He works for the Ministry as an auror.”

“We heard his house got broken into not that long ago,” George continued.

“May I introduce,” Dumbledore stated, “our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher? Professor Moody.” This statement was filled by an awkward silence in which only Dumbledore and Hagrid, the gameskeeper, clapped.

“As I was saying,” Dumbledore smiled, “we are to have the honor of hosting a very exciting event over the coming months, an even that has not been held for over a century. It is my very great pleasure to inform you that the Triwizard Tournament will be taking place at Hogwarts this year.”

“You’re JOKING!” Fred shouted, causing the room to erupt into laughter.

“I am not joking, Mr. Weasley. Though, now that you mention it, I did hear an excellent one over the summer about a troll, a hag, and a leprechaun who all go into a bar…”

After being put back on track by Professor McGonagall, Dumbledore proceeded to inform the students of what the Triwizard Tournament was. It was a contest between three schools, each with a student chosen as a representative; however it was ended due to the rising death tolls. He informed them that the other schools, Beauxbatons and Durmstrang, would be arriving in October, and the winner would receive a thousand Galleon prize.

The twins were more than eager to enter, until Dumbledore announced that only Wizards of age were allowed to enter. Maxine had not seen them so angry for years. They were still fuming when the feast was over.

“They can’t do that!” George huffed, standing as he glared at Dumbledore. “We’re seventeen in April, why can’t we have a shot?”

“They’re not stopping me entering,” Fred stated. “The champions’ll get to do all sorts of stuff you’d never be allowed to do normally. And a thousand Galleons prize money!”

Maxine simply rolled her eyes as the group set off for the common room. Fred slung an arm around her shoulder as they walked, and she let him guide her as her eyelids were feeling quite heavy. She was more than ready to sleep, though not quite as excited about classes the next day.
♠ ♠ ♠
Now that we have all of that out of the way, we can get on to the daily life at school. Things are about to get very interesting, I think. :)

NOTE: I quoted a lot of the book in here because I wanted the characters to say the same things....

Also, thank you SO much to the many subscribers!!! :)
PLEASE comment, rate, anything. It would be MUCH appreciated!! :D