Sequel: Bittersweet Memories
Status: finished

Love Bites

Goodbye.

"Savannah..Sav...Savannah!" I hear a voice coming into my dreams. I try to block it out the best I can but I eventually wake up. I sit up and see my sister near my door.

"What!" I hiss

"Mom's home, she made breakfast."

"You woke me up for that!" I almost yell. I hate being disturbed from my sleep

"Oh and Matt's downstairs."

Damon shoots up from under the covers and Rachel's eyes grow wide. With his shirt off and messy bed hair, he puts his index finger to his lips and softly says, "Ladies, shhhh."

"Hi Damon." Rachel says, her eyes fixated on Damon's chest.

"Good morning, Rachel."

"Out!" I bark, pointing my finger at the door. "Tell Matt I'll be down soon."

As my door shuts, I let my body fall back on the bed, my head hitting the pillow. Damon lays back down and I cuddle up next to him like I was before I wake up. No, this isn't right, I think to myself. I ease up a bit.

"Who's Matt?" Damon questions

"He's--wait...why?"

"Just curious." He says with an eyebrow raise. He's never just curious.

"Sure you are."

"Okay, I want to know." Damon admits, rolling his eyes in the process

"I'm not supposed to get mad about Katherine, but you can be jealous over a guy being here."

"And who says I'm jealous?"

"Your face says it all." I grin.

Damon doesn't say anything but he stares at me, probably hating the fact that I'm right. Hating the fact that I can see right through him.

"You should go." I pull the covers off of us. "I have company waiting"

"I should. Now, that I know what I need to get Katherine back, I better start on that." I almost cringe when he says that. "Wanna help?"

"Help you get Katherine back? I'd rather eat glass."

Damon starts getting his clothes on and I just look at him, I can't believe Elena is helping him but knowing Damon..she probably has no choice. I have a feeling he'll succeed in getting her back, he'll leave and I'll never see him again. I don't want Damon to get Katherine back, not because I don't want him to be happy, not even because I want him for myself; but because she's no good for him.

"Alright, so-" Damon starts as he walks over to the window

"This is it." I say

"What?"

"You'll get Katherine back and you'll leave with her, forgetting all about me. We should just say goodbye now."

Damon comes closer to me until he's an inch away from my face.

"Maybe we should say goodbye now." He runs his fingers through my hair then down my arm. "But I'm never gonna forget you."

"You sure?"

"You're unforgettable, babe."

I give him a small smile and look up into his icy blue eyes. Damon leans in closer to me and I do the same. Don't do it Savannah, I keep telling myself. But my heart is bigger than my brain, and there's no harm in a small kiss goodbye. Our lips finally meet and Damon grabs me by the waist, this is nothing like a small kiss goodbye. Its rough yet soft, fueled by passion and longing, I don't want him to go.

"I'm not gonna say goodbye to you." Damon tells me once he pulls away

But I am, what else is there honestly to say? See ya later? I don't think so. "Goodbye, Damon."

Then he's out the window, gone within a blink of an eye. Its better this way, I tell myself as I get dressed. Now I can move on, It wouldn't of worked out between us anyway, he's a vampire, I'm a human; maybe he needs a manipulative bitch in his life, I keep telling myself.

"Hey Matty, sorry I took forever." I say. He's playing X-Box with Justin, he looks content.

"Hey, its cool." He sets the controller down, gets up and gives me a hug

"What brings you here, unsuspectingly?"

"Thought we needed to hang."

"Sounds good."

We decide to head out and get something to eat. Matt drives my car, he loves my car; he's the typical car enthusiast. We don't head to the usual hang out, The Mystic Grill, we go to a local pizza shop instead. These days, Caroline is dating Matt, I guess. That's what the word is around school.

"So, you and Forbes?" I ask

"Is it weird?"

"Just a little, so, you're a couple?"

"Well...yeah, kinda."

Kinda? Hmm...either you are or you aren't.

"So, the two of you are friends again?" Matt asks, grabbing a slice of pizza from the pie.

"Yeah"

"What were you fighting over anyway?"

"Oh, just this guy. Totally unimportant." I try to avoid any talk of Damon.

"Oh, Stefan's brother?"

"Yes." I sigh. "That would be him."

"So, you won?" Matt laughs

"Not exactly. We both pretty much lost in the end. He loves his ex-girlfriend."

"I'm sorry."

"Its fine." I grin. "I guess me and Caroline are in the same boat, once again."

"I don't know what you're talking about"

"Sure you don't Matty. Can I ask you something? Totally between us."

"Shoot."

Here it goes. "If you had the chance to get back with your ex, for example, Elena...would you? Even if you had this girl who you cared about deeply and she'd give anything to be with you. Would you walk away from that?"

"Wow. It really depends." Matt says

"On?"

"On how amazing the girl is. But, sometimes you can be so bent on your ex that you can't see whats right in front of you."

Thanks Matty."

"So whats this ex have that you don't?"

Fangs. "Nothing, I'm better than her in every way." I smile

"He'll figure it out."

I give Matt a smile, he always makes me smile when I'm really bummed. I end up spending the whole day with Matt, catching up for all the time we haven't hung out together. We go to my dad's house for dinner, those two bond so well, you'd swear they were father and son. All of my close friends have stuff going on tonight; Bonnie's on a date, Elena's helping Stefan dig up something...which is creepy, Caroline's at her dad's...so I call it a semi-early night.