Sequel: Bittersweet Memories
Status: finished

Love Bites

It's The Only Way.

"I can't do this again. I can't choose between him and a friend."

"Is that what Bonnie wants? You to choose?" Amy asks as we drive to the Lockwood estate. Today's the day, the Miss Mystic Falls pageant.

"She didn't say that. But..I know its gonna come down to it. I don't know what to do!" I start to bang my iPhone against my head. Things were finally going back to normal around here.

"Hey, stop that." Amy grabs my phone. "Do you want a big red spot on your head while the whole town watches you dance?"

"What am I supposed to do?"

"Well, how do you feel?"

"I'm not breaking up with Damon." I say sternly. "But I'm not losing one of my best friends."

"Things will work out." She reassures me. "Though this is Damon's fault."

"Amy!"

"What? If he didn't want whats-her-face from that tomb, Bonnie's grams would of never died."

"I know I know, I know!" I say, banging my fist against my head this time

"Savannah!"

We arrive at the Lockwood's estate. People are all around the place getting ready for the event. I'm in the running for Miss Mystic Falls along with Elena, Caroline, Tina Fell, and some girl I don't really know. She's not a member of one of the founding families, so I already know she won't win. I grab my dress and I run into Caroline.

"Hey, good luck today!" She says

"Thanks. You too. Have you seen Elena?"

"I think I saw her a little bit ago with her aunt."

"Okay. Hey, even though we're running against each other...I hope you win."

"Really? Thanks" Caroline smiles. "That would be fair, considering you already won last year!"

"I know." I laugh

Me and Elena are the last ones ready, still aren't dressed but our makeup and hair are perfect.

"Have you talked to Bonnie?" Elena asks

"She's been avoiding me."

"Me too. What are we supposed to do?"

"I don't know, Elena."

I finally change into my dress and heels. I'm gonna put a smile on and enjoy myself.

"Elena, you need to get dressed."

"I know. I will. Its just..a lot to deal with."

"I know"

Then the door opens and Damon walks in.

"You know you're not supposed to be back here, right?" I ask as I walk over to him

"We've got problems."

What now. "What's wrong?" Elena asks

"It's Stefan."

"Whats wrong with Stefan?"

"He's still drinking human blood"

"What? No, he's not."

"Yes, he is Elena. He has a fridge full of stolen blood bank blood."

Uh oh. I take a look at Elena. She has a shocked look on her face. "But this is Stefan-"

"No, he's a whole different person. The blood is controlling him. He'll do anything, say anything, because he's not gonna wanna stop."

Before Damon can go any further, Stefan walks into the room. "Ya know...we'll let you two talk. Come on, Damon." I pull Damon out of the room and we walk the halls. I'm not supposed to go downstairs until our names are called.

"Don't tell me you find this funny."

"A little."

"This could ruin him. This isn't what Stefan does, he's the 'good' brother, remember?"

"I have my reasons." Damon tells me in all seriousness. "Are you okay?"

"Bonnie isn't talking to me."

"Why?"

"Because of you."

"What I do?"

"What haven't you done?" I question him.

"She's still alive isn't she?"

"Damon!" I hit him. "The tomb, the vampires, her grams dying in vain. She blames you..and Stefan. Now, she's not talking to me and Elena much. I can't make it better."

"I'm sorry." He lifts my chin to look at him. "I really am."

I nod my head and then he has to head downstairs. All us girls line up and wait for our names to be called.

"You okay, Lanabear?"

"Yeah. I'll be okay." Though I know she's unsure about that

Caroline is called down first and she looks beautiful in her green dress, too bad Matt had to work today, he would of loved to see her.

"Miss Savannah Cunningham." My name is called. I give Elena a small smile and start walking down the steps. "And her escort Damon Salvatore." When I reach Damon, I smile. He takes my hand and we head out the doors.

"Where the hell is Stefan?" I whisper, still with my smile

"I don't know."

We take her spots in line and I wait for Elena to come out, what is she gonna do? She walks out with a fill-in escort and a very confused look on her face. The dance starts, our hands go up and we start turning. Damon looks into my eyes, like he's staring into my soul. Then we finally get to touch, he takes me in his arms and we continue our dance, not taking our eyes off each other.

"You look beautiful" He mouths to me, followed by a smile

I smile at him. "Thanks."

Then dance ends and we have to pull away from each other, taking our original spots. When it comes time to announce Miss Mystic Falls, all us girls line up. The one girl who isn't from a founding family, Amber, is nowhere in sight.

"Our very own Miss Mystic Falls...Ms. Caroline Forbes!" Mayor Lockwood announces. The whole place claps and I'm really happy for her, she wanted this.

"Congratulations!" I say

"Thank you!" Me and Elena give her hugs

Then Damon informs us about whats going on with Stefan. That Amber girl is missing and we don't know if he'll hurt her or not.

"Lets just find him. Come on."

After wandering around the woods for nearly five minutes, we finally find him...taking a bite out of that Amber girl, oh no!

"STEFAN!" Elena screams

Damon tries to talk him down as he walks closer to him, telling him 'its okay.' But Stefan isn't having it and launches him in mid air.

"DAMON!" I yell

"STEFAN, STOP IT!"

Then Bonnie does something with her mind. It..stops him. He clenches his head in pain and is down on the ground. Then she releases it. Stefan looks around at the four of us with a look scared look, a look of regret. He didn't mean it.

"Its okay." Damon says. But Stefan takes off running. Which is a good idea because Sheriff Forbes is arriving with cops. We put on a fake story, saying the three of us found her. I look at Bonnie, unsure if she'll go along with it. But she gives me a knowing look.

"We just found her, then we called Damon." I tell Sheriff Forbes

"Go back to the party. Make sure Elena's okay, when I'm done I'll come back and get you." Damon whispers to me.

I give him a nod then walk off with Bonnie and Elena. Thing is, she isn't talking to us. She won't make us choose, but she'll make the choice for us. Am I losing one of my best friends?

"He's gonna be okay, Elena." I say

"I really don't know this time." She tells me. "I know what I have to do."

"What?"

"He has to be locked up. So he doesn't hurt anybody."

I know exactly what she's thinking, Stefan did the same to Damon. Maybe this is the only way.

"Ready to go?" Damon asks

"Yeah. I'm gonna get my clothes. You gonna be okay, Lana?"

"Yeah. I'll be over later." She gives me a nod

"What is she doing?" Damon asks on the drive home

"She wants to lock him up. Its the only way."

"What?"

"Do you have a better idea?"

"Nope."

As we walk up to his house we see Anna and her mother, Pearl. The last time I saw this woman she was choking the life out of Damon right before my eyes.

"Go inside." He whispers

I do as told and I pass her, surprisingly she doesn't do a thing and she lets me go. I wonder what she wants. I change my clothes. I change into a dark pair of skinny jeans and a simple gray top. Damon comes inside, holding something in his hand.

"What is that?"

"This is the invention John Gilbert wants." Damon says. "And now I have it."

Good. One less thing to worry about. Pearl was nice enough to give it to Damon. She wants to stay here and means no harm to anybody in town. Also good, one less vampire I have to worry about.

"You coming?" Damon asks as we head upstairs. Elena and Damon just locked Stefan up. I feel horrible for her.

"No. I'm just gonna stay here."

"Alright. We'll be--"

"Right here with you." I finish

I wrap my arm around her for comfort. Everything's gonna be okay, we've been through worst.