Sequel: Bittersweet Memories
Status: finished

Love Bites

I'm Sorry.

I call Sheriff Forbes and then I call my dad.

"the younger brother is in shock." I hear Damon tell Sheriff Forbes.

"you girls okay?" dad asks as he wraps one arm around me and the other around Elena. We see the bodies of John Gilbert and Jenna Sommers being rolled out of the house in body bags.

"Elena. Do you and Jeremy have any other living relatives?" Sheriff Forbes asks

"um. Our closest family lives in Florida."

"you should give them a call. Maybe a change of scenery will be good for you and Jeremy"

Elena looks at me and I look at her. No, she can't leave Mystic Falls! "dad" I pull on his arm, "Elena can't leave."

Dad looks at Amy and she nods. "we have plenty of room at our house. Once you contact your family, you're both welcome to stay with us if they're okay with it."

"thanks dad"

"thanks Jake"

Then my cell phone rings. I answer it and walk away from the crowd. "hello?"

"Savannah."

"Matt. What's up?"

"Caroline..she's in the hospital"

"what happened?!"

"we were in a car accident. Tyler lost control of the car. She seemed okay, but then she passed out."

"is she gonna be okay? Are you and Ty okay?"

"we're both okay. I don't know, they're gonna do all they can." after I hang up the phone I start to cry

"Sheriff Forbes." I call after her, "I'm sorry. Is she gonna be okay?"

"I hope so, Savannah. I want you guys to get some sleep. You can visit her in the morning"

I nod my head and she leaves. I glance at the clock on my phone, it's after 3:30am. I feel arms wrap around me and Damon asks what's wrong, "Caroline."

This is all too much for one night. First Damon, then Elena's family, and now Caroline is in the hospital. I still have to talk to my dad about Damon tomorrow.

"I would have extra room but my family is visiting. So Jeremy, there's nobody in Justin's room. Elena you can stay with Savannah," Dad informed us

"Jake. Would it be okay if we all just stayed in Savannah's room? I don't wanna be away from my brother, at least not tonight."

"sure thing"

"Thanks again" the three of us head upstairs to my room. We can't leave Jeremy alone because there's a house full of people and we have to keep an eye on him. I grab a bunch of blankets and some pillows and throw them on my floor.

"Is this really necessary? I can be alone" Jeremy complains

"Yes, it is little vampire. I don't need you feeding on any of my family members."

"I wouldn't do that."

"You have no idea what you'd do, Jeremy." I say as I put my hair up and sit on my bed

"This is what you want? You want to be a vampire?" Elena asks her brother

"Yes." He nods his head, "I want this. I wanna be with Anna!"

I look at Elena and try to lighten the mood. "Well, if you promise not to kill her, you can use Madison to complete your transformation"

Elena looks at me and smiles a little, she knows she wants to laugh. Then I feel something smack against my closed window. Me and Elena get up to look, it was a black crow. Ouch, we look at each other and laugh, "Damon," I open up my window, I know he's around here somewhere. "You can come in," I say into the night air

"What are you doing?" Jeremy asks as he gives me weird looks

"Damon can control a crow and one just smacked into the window." Elena informs him

"Um..creepy."

"He's checking up on us. You have no room to talk when it comes to things being creepy."

Then, within a blink of an eye, Damon is in my room. "Where's Stefan?"

"Outside."

"Stefan, you can come up too." I don't have to yell because I know he can hear me. Then, Stefan's in my room and by Elena's side. They both decide to stay the night, they talk to Jeremy about vampire life and comfort us from all of tonight's events.

"You're sure you wanna do this?" Jeremy is questioned for the 10th time

"I'm positive."

When I wake up, I'm not well rested at all. Damon and Stefan are gone. I'm woken up from a bunch of noise in my room, when my eyes shoot open I see Jeremy going through my stuff.

"Jer, what the hell are you doing?"

He doesn't answer and continues with his looking. I glance at the clock and its 7:30. I got two hours of sleep, ugh. Elena slowly wakes up also and we watch him. "Finally!" He says, putting on a pair of sunglasses. "Damn sun is hurting my eyes."

"You do realize you can't go out in the sun once you transition, right?" I ask him, "You'll burn up."

"But Damon, Stefan, and Anna can."

"That's because a long time ago, a witch made them special pieces of jewelry that prevents them from burning."

"Exactly, so unless you know a-" Elena pauses and looks at me, uh oh. "-witch, you better think hard about this."

"I've made my choice."

I brush my teeth and then head downstairs, I know what Elena wants me to do, she wants me to ask Amy, who is a witch...if she can do what Emily did.

"Did I miss the party in your room last night or what?" Madison says, she is the last person I'm trying to see in the morning.

"Madison-"

"Back off Madison, she had a long night." I hear Chris' voice. She walks off with an attitude. "You okay?"

"You know?"

"I know everything. How's Elena?"

"She's strong. I think she's gonna be okay."

"That's good. I hope Caroline's okay too."

"I'm gonna go see her now. I hope it isn't serious."

After Elena comes downstairs, we leave for the hospital. We're both wearing yesterdays clothes and look like shit, but we're allowed to, we had a long night.

"How is she?" I ask the doctor

"Are you family?"

"Yes, I'm her cousin."

"This is a small town, Savannah Cunningham." Well, it works in the movies. He pulls us aside and brings his voice down to almost a whisper. "She has internal bleeding in her brain and lungs from the accident, surgery was successful. We're trying to keep her stable but she's in a lot of pain, we put her in an induced coma."

"Is she gonna be okay?"

"We sure hope so. You can go in to see her."

We walk into her room and see Matt sleeping in the chair in the corner, aww. There's machines going and she's just lying there, poor Caroline. "Hey guys. Umm...want me to give you a minute?"

"Its weird enough talking to somebody who can't hear you. Its bad enough with people watching." I give him a half smile

"You go first." Elena says, "Come on Matt, lets get some coffee."

The two of them walk out of the room and I sit in Matt's chair, bring it closer to Caroline. I stare at her lying there, there's nothing any of us can do to make it better. I think about this year and how many blows our friendship has taken. Then I think about the years before, we were so much closer.

"I'm sorry Caroline, I'm sorry I couldn't make it sooner. You wouldn't believe the night I had. This year has been insane, I just wish through everything we were closer. I'm sorry for all the crap that happened this year, all of it. Even the things you can't remember," I reference to the time when Damon was absolutely horrible and controlled her. "When you wake up, I want us to go back to being friends again, best friends."