Sequel: Bittersweet Memories
Status: finished

Love Bites

Memories

"Savannah...last day of Junior year. You going?"

I heard my dads voice close to my bed, my head was still under the covers and i didn't even bother to look up

"No. I'm staying home."

"Okay then. Elena and Jeremy are getting ready to leave. Me and Amy will be gone today. Make sure you eat something."

"Yeah.." I mumbled and waited for him to leave

Once I heard everybody leave, the house fell silent. I pulled the covers off my head and sat up. All my friends were enjoying their last day of school before summer break, dad and Amy were at work. As for Damon, who knows what he'd be doing today.

After having a shower I got dressed, nothing special or flashy, just a pair of shorts and a tank; it's not like I was going anywhere. after grabbing a quick snack from the kitchen, I headed back upstairs.

I went through everything, all of my personal belongings, all my pictures, I couldn't remember anything about Damon. it was starting to become a lost cause. I watched Supernatural reruns for a while, a show I haven't watched in a while. I played a little music on my laptop but I soon found myself lying in bed again. But this time, at least I wasn't under the covers.

"Savannah! Are you okay?" I heard Elena's voice and foot steps coming closer to me. She came into my view and gave me a sympathetic smile

"I thought you were at school."

"I sorta blew off the rest of the day, I wanted to make sure you were alright."

"No." I shook my head, "I'm not alright."

"Still having a rough time?"

"I feel so empty inside, Elena." I say through my sobs, "I don't know why. it's like a part of me is missing."

"Its-"

"please don't. You and Stefan keep saying things will get better, but it feels like they won't. everyday I feel even more hopeless. what if I never remember what happened to me?"

"Don't think like that-"

"What if I never remember him, Elena."

Elena was silent, I could tell she had no idea what to say. I was glad too, her giving me hope was the last thing I needed when I knew nothing was happening.

"I have bruises and bite marks all over my body, I haven't eaten a proper meal in almost five days, I have trouble sleeping at night. I stare at a fucking bird that sits at my window every night. I think I'm imagining that one. I'm going crazy-"

"You're not going crazy. I'd say you're reacting pretty normally, though I do recommend you eat before you pass out on me again" I stayed silent, I didn't know what else to say. "Do you wanna go to Caroline's?"

"No. I think I'm gonna stay here a while. Besides, I don't think I'd be much fun. How is she anyway?"

"She's recovering pretty good. She wants to see you though."

"Tell her tomorrow, okay?"

"Alright."

Elena left the room and I laid there a while. I decided to call Damon, maybe we could talk or something. I grabbed my cell phone and looked for his number, it was right under Caroline's. I braced myself and finally hit the green button.

"Savannah?" He answered the phone

"Uh. Hi, Damon."

"Hi."

"I was wondering if you were busy..?"

"No, are you okay?"

"Um, sorta. I was wondering if you could come over? Talk maybe?"

"Sure. I'll be right over. Um, keep the window open."

Before I could ask why, he hung up. I quickly got up and went into the bathroom. I knew my eyes were still red and puffy and I had to fix them. I did the best I could before heading back into my room. My heart nearly jumped out of my chest when I saw Damon lying on my bed.

"Oh my god!" My hand flew over my chest, much like the first day when I woke up. "You scared me."

"Sorry." Damon smirked

"Nobody's home. You could of used the front door."

"But I always come through the window." He made that gesture with his eyes as he sat up. "I rarely use the door." I looked at him for a good minute before taking a seat on the bed with him. "So how have you been?"

"Not so good...I was hoping you could tell me more about us."

Damon nodded his head; "I was a dickhead when we first met. No, that's an understatement. I was pure evil"

"And I was attracted to that?" I laughed

Damon laughed also before he got serious again, "I didn't show that side to you. But, I was. Your friend, Caroline, I used mind compulsion on her to get her to do things for me, get information out of my brother. I told you she was obsessed with me when really, I was making her do those things."

"Wow."

"You believed me. You guys fought a lot of a while, that was my fault." I knew we fought but I didn't know why

"I was falling in love with you" Damon continued, "But my main objective was still to get Katherine out of that tomb. We had really good times, though. I was more of myself when we were alone, but I still felt like I was lying to you, because I wasn't being completely honest."

I nodded, waiting for him to continue.

"I took you to Atlanta and showed you a different side of myself, I even won you that dog over there." He pointed to the pink and white dog sitting on my chair. For the first time this week, I started to feel hope. I remember going to Atlanta, very faintly, but I remember. "Elena wanted to kill me, she hated me then. And your mother raised hell."

"Black fedora." I whispered, Damon's head popped up. "Why am I thinking of a black fedora?"

A smile came across his face, "Because you bought me one. After I objected 100 times."

I smiled also and I was ready to find out more information; "How did I react to you being a vampire?"

"You were afraid of me." He told me, "But you gave me a chance anyway and I reassured you I'd never hurt you, I promised I'd never use mind compulsion on you. And I never did. It caused a big problem in your friendship with Caroline, but you didn't care."

"Looks like I wasn't a very good friend." I frowned. "If you use mind compulsion on me now, will I get my memory back?"

"I don't think so. Katherine's power is stronger than mine because she's older. But, I wouldn't feel right doing it, I promised you."

"I want to remember-"

"You remembered the hat. I think if I keep telling you stuff, it'll slowly come back. Then I can do it. Now, her influence is too strong."

"Okay."

"I promise, I'm not giving up." Damon said as he cupped my face. It caught me off guard but I looked into his eyes and I believed him.

"So, what happened with Katherine?"

"I asked you to get a necklace from Bonnie because that was key to getting Katherine back. I didn't tell you why though and you didn't ask for the necklace because Bonnie was freaked out enough, she was a witch after all."

"And when I found out?"

"When you found out..you hated me. I really hurt you though it was never my intentions. I should of told you the truth, but if I did, I was afraid we wouldn't feel the same way about each other. But again, it was stupid..Bonnie was possessed by her witch ancestor, Emily, and destroyed the necklace. I was hurt and I attacked Bonnie, after I promised never to go after your friends and family." I didn't talk, I just let him continue. "I was leaving Mystic Falls, but there was another vampire in town and when Logan Fell took you-"

"Logan Fell? News guy?"

"Yeah. Long story short, he was turned. He offered you a ride home, but you didn't know what he was. I didn't know what he'd do with you, but he had you and that's all that mattered to me. Me and Stefan saved you, then I killed him."

"Wow. And how did you get me to forgive you?"

Damon let out a laugh before continuing, "I pleaded with you that I was sorry and never wanted to hurt you. I wanted you but still wanted Katherine out of the tomb, and I was gonna try anything. So, you said all we could be was just friends. And we were just friends. We had fun together and I was very protective of you, I even took you to your 50's dance."

I laugh at the memory of the two of us dancing at my 50's dance to old songs, doing the actual old dances. Though I couldn't see his face clearly, I knew it was Damon. He was wearing that same leather jacket we wore the other day.

"Do you remember?"

"A little, yeah."

"That was the last good time for a while." Damon said. "After that, you said goodbye to me. I was ready to get Katherine back. Though, I contemplated just staying with you. I was being a dickhead again. We were down there, ready to go in the tomb. You and Elena were down there also, for leverage." I gave him my 'wtf' face. "I know, that's bad. After I went in and searched, I couldn't get out. Damn witches just opened the door but didn't break the spell. BTW, she wasn't in there. Witches did some voodoo to break the seal but I was too busy having a fit, so you ran in after me."

"I did what?!"

"You, Savannah, ran into a dark tomb filling with nearly dead vampires."

"EW!"

"Uh huh." Damon laughed. "You were the only reason why I wasn't stuck down there forever. You also helped me get over it, but you were so persistent on not being with me because you thought you were the second choice. Clearly, you weren't. And slowly, I started becoming a better person, and that's all because of you." He smiled, "We were together and things were great between us. Besides the vampires that would pop up, by the way, you and Elena battle vampires like nobody's business"

"Seriously?"

"Seriously. There was one at the dance, you two fought him until you couldn't any longer. The two of you ran into a house full of tomb vampires just to make sure me and Stefan were okay; they took Stefan and I went to save him. Most recently, Katherine. Elena said you even knocked her on her ass." I laughed at him. "I also blame the two of you solely, for mending mine and Stefan's relationship."

"And that's a good thing, right?"

"Yeah. It is."

"How did I become to hate Bonnie?"

Damon frowned but he continued. "There was this invention, that basically only vampires could hear. It let off an ungodly sound just racking your brain. Anyway, it was bewitched by her ancestor. Bonnie said she'd break the spell so we'd be safe, but she lied. She hated me and Stefan and blamed us for her Grandmothers death. So, the tomb vampires were planning an attack on all the founding families anyway so it was a good thing she didn't. That thing went off and all the vampires went down, all being stuck with vervain and put down in a basement."

"You too?"

"Including me. I was weak with vervain in my system so I was basically helpless. Then the place was set on fire, I was stuck down there." Tears started to form in my eyes, but I didn't want him to see me cry. But hearing his story, I'm sure he's seen me cry plenty of times. "Until Stefan saved me, he was the only one not down there. I could of died and that's why you hate Bonnie."

When Damon told me he could of died, the tears finally fell. I closed my eyes, trying to make them go away. I saw myself crying, struggling to get out of my dads arms...

--------------------

"Savannah-" he starts. I don't listen, I make a break for the basement door but dad grabs me, holding me too tightly. "I can't let you go down there. The place is on fire for gods sake!"

"daddy, let me go!" I say through my tears as I try to get away.

"he's a vampire!"

"I don't care! I'm in love with him" my scream filling my lungs as I kick harder

"the place is on fire. All the vampires are burning." dad tries to soothe me. "I'm sorry, he's...dying."

"NO!" I scream, "THEN I WANNA DIE TOO!"

---------------------

I felt Damon lift my chin and wipe my tears away. I finally realized we were sitting closer to each other than earlier. "Its okay." He whispered. I looked up at him and nodded my head; Fireworks went off in my head when he leaned down to kiss me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter Picture

'And I love you more than I did before. And if today I don't see your face. Nothing’s changed, No one can take your place. It gets harder every day. Say you love me more than you did before and I’m sorry it’s this way. But I’m coming home, I’ll be coming home. And if you’ll ask me I will stay;; Well I tried to live without you, the tears fall from my eyes. I’m alone and I feel empty, god I’m torn apart inside. I look up at the stars, hoping you’re doing the same, And somehow I feel closer. And I can hear you say...Oh I miss you...Oh I need you.'