Sequel: Bittersweet Memories
Status: finished

Love Bites

Vampire.

I wake up in the morning from the sound of my mother walking around, it's early, like 7 AM. Damon of course isn't with me, as expected. But I feel good, I'm in a happy place. I'm glad he's back and last night was amazing. My mother knocks on my door and I tell her to come in.

"Alright Sav, I'm leaving" Mom says. She has a business trip this weekend

"Okay. Are Rachel and Justin staying at dads the whole weekend?"

"Mhm, its his weekend with them. Behave, no parties, no boys. No older men."

"Yes ma'am. Have fun"

After mom leaves I go into the kitchen to make toast or something. Its not even 7:15 yet, I can't believe I'm awake. Somebody is at the door and whoever it is, is lucky I'm awake. I open the door, ready to yell but I stop. Its Elena, somethings wrong.

"Elena, you're shaking. What's wrong?"

"I have to tell you something. Please, take it seriously."

"Come inside."

Elena comes inside and I follow her into the living room. She's shaking and it looks like she was crying.

"I'm scared." She whispers

"Elena, tell me what happened."

"Stefan said not to tell anybody but I had to tell you."

"Tell me."

She takes a deep breath and looks me in the eye, "Stefan and Damon are vampires."

I look at her and try not to laugh. Vampires though? Seriously?

"Elena, that sounds-"

"I know how it sounds and I didn't believe it either but I'm telling you the truth"

"Vampires?"

"Yes. Logan Fell took me to the news station yesterday, I looked up the 1950s animal attack on Joseph Salvatore. They gave a close up on who they said was his nephew--it was Stefan."

She's actually serious about this.

"Are you sure it was Stefan?"

"Yes. The facts have been right in front of me the whole time, Savannah. At the football game, Stefan was cut deeply with glass, it healed so quickly, he denied he was ever cut, but I know what I saw. These animal attacks, they're unreal--bodies drained of blood? Girls being bitten. And his face, it changes in ways that aren't possible."

"His..face? How--how did it change?"

"His eyes, they turned red. Underneath, there was almost veins."

"Just like Damon..." I mumble

"You've seen it too??"

"Well, yeah..um, I guess."

"When?"

"At the founders party. Me and Damon were alone and it just..happened. It didn't look real, he said nothing happened."

"See!"

"Elena, I don't believe in supernatural things, vampires being one of them."

She looked at me and I could tell she wasn't done, she has more to tell me, more facts to back up her story.

"I'm not finished." She says. "Last night, I went over to confront him. He told me himself, he's a vampire. Then I ran from him, he was right in front of me...like he leaped so high or ran so fast. I went home, up to my room..then he was in my bedroom. I didn't even know how--I didn't even hear him come in."

"Oh my god."

"Stefan said he'd never hurt me. He said he feeds on animals. He begged me not to tell anybody because it dangerous, but I just had to tell you. He said he'd explain everything but I asked him to leave. When I turned my back...he was gone."

Now I believe her. Elena of all people couldn't make this up or imagine it.

"What about all the animal attacks?"

"I'm sorry." She looks at me with sympathy

"Damon?" I whisper

Elena nods her head. No...no no no. I did not sleep with him, I did not sleep with a vampire. A killing vampire who could end my life at any given moment. Damon's the one who killed all those people...and he really did hurt Caroline.

"Are you okay?" Elena asks

"Yeah. I'm just uhh...taking it all in."

"Stefan said he'd explain everything but I don't wanna go alone. Would you come with?"

"Sure. He might be upset that you told"

"You have every right to know considering-"

"Yeah...Elena, I get it."

It gets silent. I can't stop thinking about Damon and not because I can't wait to see him. I can't believe hes really a...you know. Why wouldn't I figure this out? Is there anything I missed that was there the whole time? Yeah, Stefan told me to stay away. Turns out he actually did bite Caroline. And the way his face changed. But he walks around in the sun!

"Whats on your mind?" Elena asks

"Damon"

"Savannah-"

"Don't worry. For my safety, I'm staying away from him."

"Good!"

I can't tell Elena about what happened between me and Damon, she'd really freak out. I don't blame her this time though because I would too. I can't help that I'm drawn to him, I still am now even though its dangerous. But I must stay away from because my life actually does depend on it.

After a while, I get dressed to go meet Stefan. Elena freshens up and steals some of my clothes, she was upset earlier but she's better now, she looks strong. I, on the other hand look like I'm about to cry at any moment.

"I asked you to meet me here because you said you'd explain things. I hope you can respect that I told Savannah, she has a right to know." Elena starts the conversation

"Stefan nods his head in agreement. "I can tell you whatever you need to know."

"Whats the reality? I know you eat garlic."

"Yes."

"And somehow sunlight isn't an option?" I ask

The waitress brings our drinks and we wait for her to leave before Stefan answers. "We have rings that protect us."

The rings, of course.

"Crucifixes?" Elena asks

"Decorative"

"Holy water?" I ask

"Drinkable"

"Mirrors?" Elena asks

"Myth"

"You said you don't kill to survive"

"Animal blood keeps me alive, but not as strong as Damon. He can be very powerful"

I'm starting to feel uncomfortable, I'm trying to block this part out but somehow I still hear it. I look around at the street and look down at my nails, avoiding looks from Elena and Stefan.

"Yet you let him get involved with Caroline and Savannah?"

"Forcing Damon to not do something is much more dangerous"

Stefan says something about Damon 'feeding' on Caroline and compelling her, which is like mind controlling.

"And Savannah?" Elena asks

"I told Damon to stay away from her, but he doesn't listen. He said he wouldn't hurt you but I don't know how true that is"

Stefan goes on to tell us they're the only ones in Mystic Falls but that a long time ago there was a time when the town was aware of vampires.

"ready?" Elena asks

"For what?" I was spacing out

"We're going somewhere"

"I agreed to meet with Stefan. Not go on a crazy vampire adventure"

"Please. I need you"

"Okay, fine."

"We get into Elena's car and Stefan tells her where to go. I don't want to know anything else. I can tell today's gonna be a long day. We arrive at what appears to be a pile of junk in the middle of nowhere.

"What are we doing here?" Elena asks

"I wanted to show you something"

"In the middle of nowhere?" I question

"This used to be my home."

No way, I'm kinda interested now and ready for a story. I get out of the car, me and Elena follow Stefan.

"Wow, it looks so old." I say

"I know. Wait...how long have you...?" Elena pops the big question and no it's not a proposal

"I've been 17...since 1864"

"Oh my god." Me and Elena say in unison

1864? I feel like I'm in an alternate universe

"Me and Damon grew up here. The Salvatore brothers, best friends. He taught me how to play football when the game was first invented. Katherine was-"

"Wait! Katherine. You knew her in 1864?" I ask, confused.

"Damon made it seem like..." Elena trails off

"Damon was trying to make it seem like I was still heartbroken"

Yet, Damon is still heartbroken...over a women he was with 145 years ago. Stefan tells us more about the two of them and this Katherine chick, the more I hear, the more I don't like. Hearing the story about Katherine, and how she compelled both of them, used them, turned them into vampires, and eventually turned them against each other...made me sad. She sounds like she was a horrible person. I feel bad for Damon, how can he still be in love with her?

When we get to Elena's, Vicki and Matt Donovan are here. Ugh, Vicki.. As if my day wasn't crazy enough.

"What's going on?" Elena asks

"She's really messed up" Matt says

"Hate to break it to you Matty, your sisters a drug addict" I say

"Hey knock it off Savannah!" Jeremy yells

"Jeremy. She's upset, she didn't mean that." Elena says

Stefan steps in and looks deep into her eyes and tells her shes gonna be fine, she believes him too. That must be what compelling is. Jeremy and Matt take her upstairs.

"She's transitioning." Stefan says

"Into what?" Elena asks

"A vampire."

After Vicki randomly takes off, Matt and Stefan go out looking for her. Honestly, I could care less about this, I hate the girl. I wanna go home but Elena asked me to stay, I guess its alright because I'm not ready to face Damon; I'm all alone at my house, at least there's other people here.

"You're upset." Elena says, joining me on the couch. "I'm sure Vicki will be fine, Stefan's out there tracking her."

"Elena" I laugh. "I could care less about what happens to Vicki"

"Right. I forgot--Tyler. Well, then what's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"We're supposed to be best friends. We tell each other everything."

"Today was long. I'm just...I can't explain what I'm feeling"

"But it all comes down to Damon, huh?"

"Yes, I miss him. I'm afraid of him. I feel bad for him."

"How could you--I'm sorry. I'll never understand what you feel for Damon but I'll respect it"

"I slept with him last night." I blurt out

Before Elena can properly react, there's the door. She gets up and Jeremy rushes out of the other room to see who it is, hoping its news about Vicki. I stay put.

"Stay away from me" I hear Elena at the door. Whats going on? I listen in, it's Damon.

"I'm just looking for Stefan. Can I come in? Oh wait, of course I can. I've been invited" There was a pause, "we can cut to the chase if you want, I'm not gonna kill you right now, that wouldn't serve my greater agenda"

Oh. My. God.

"So..Where's Stefan?"

"He's out looking for Vicki" I can hear the conversation

"Don't look at me with those judgey little eyes, she's gonna thank me for what I did to her"

"Did you thank Katherine?"

"Got the whole life story, huh?"

"Got enough"

"Oh, I doubt that. Is Savannah here?"

"She doesn't wanna see you."

"I don't believe you."

"She's afraid of you. Now leave, please."

"Tell Stefan I'm looking for him. Oh, be careful who you invite in the house"

Then the door closes. He wants to kill Elena?! That wasn't the Damon I'm used to knowing. Cocky? Yes. But evil? No! We wait around for Stefan for another hour. Vicki turned, she couldn't resist feeding. There's blood on his shirt so I don't think he gave us the whole story. I go inside to give them some privacy, Jeremy is already asleep.

Today has been insane. I can't help but wonder what tomorrows gonna bring, or the next day, or the following week. Whatever happens, I just hope things get better, if that's even possible. Then Elena comes inside, shes obviously upset. She drops down against the door and starts to cry..

"Elena! What happened?" I kneel down next to her

"Its over. I broke up with him. I can't deal with this whole thing." She cries

"Everything's gonna be okay, Elena"

I wrap my arms around her and comfort her while she cries. Yeah, everything's gonna be okay...