The River

Chapter 1

Jake Red walked down the street with the bag over his shoulder. He glanced only at the concrete since he walked out of his home. It wasn’t tough, it was just something awkward. He was expecting it. It just seemed unreal now that he was doing it.

When he was three years old and his parents began fighting and he’d hug his mom and fall asleep he never thought he’d get here.
Then again he never thought Tina would leave him either, not after everything they went through.

Deep in his mind Jake could understand that a woman can hate you when you’re careless. They made love. He didn’t use protection and he didn’t ejaculate outside of her. Why? Jake could not say, for a second he just wanted to know how it would feel to have her for his own.
Tina started acting strange after that, when her period didn’t come on time they started fighting.
Jake understood part of the anger, but not completely.
Tina was not in school anymore, she quit it a long time before this and she was mostly working in the summer. She could have had plenty of time to take care of the baby if she wanted to.
More so Jake wanted to help. He wanted to form this family, however her period came and she broke up with him. It was for the better, Jake said, but deep inside it hurt too damn much.

Soon after his mother became religion obsessed and that’s when Jake started drinking.

One morning his mother entered his room and found his sprawled on the bed, naked, with a multitude of bottles everywhere.

Jake was not sure what made her kick him out. Was it the drinking and the sudden fear he’ll turn in his father and beat her? Or was it his rebellion against God with his heavily tattooed body that was as she said ‘the mark of Satan’.

If that was so, then his soul belonged to Satan. He would not give up his music.

He told her he’ll come back for his stuff. All his stuff. He locked the door and secured it. Now he only needed to find a temporary place to stay.

He turned on his heels and headed to the skate park.
Jake cursed himself for narrowing his life around his mom and Tina. Now he was alone in a big world with no friends.
He wished he could turn back time, but it was too late for that.

He reached the park but he yet didn't know what he was really looking for there. Tons of boys and girls where there in groups.
He looked at them but lost all his courage. Jake new there was nothing he could do. He just couldn’t go over to them and act like he knew them for ages. He also pondered the results of an awkward ‘I’m Jake. And you?’.

He soon found the rockers. Jake wanted to see them, he wanted to see how they look like. He still hoped he could talk to them somehow.
He passed them by and a few looked up at him but didn’t show any interest.

He found a bench a few feet from them and he took a sit. He wasn’t scared to sleep in the park, he didn't really care if some one robbed it or beat him. There wasn't much to steal and his soul was so bruised he didn't think physical pain would could hurt more. Deep inside he was afraid he will be all alone in this, that he won't make another friend. He was afraid that he wouldn't meet anyone to care, even if it would be for a few months or days. He just wanted someone to listen to him and share the hunger and thirst together. He put his bag in his lap and curled in a ball. Sleeping would solve some problems, that’s what he thought as he let the day’s fatigue wash over him.

On the side of the circle Daniel’s eyes followed the boy sit on the bench and fall asleep.
“Quite cute, huh?!”
A voice to his right said. He turned to see his best friend, Guillaume, pointing to the now sleeping figure on the bench.
“Yeah.”
“He looks lost or something resembling a wet kicked puppy.”
“Yeah, Gyl, he does look like that. I wish he came over.”
“He might not know anyone…” Guillaume rose and left to greet two people coming down the alley.

One was a guy taller than him although Guillaume was very tall and had red hair and both his eyebrows pierced. The other one was a girl a head shorter than Guillaume.
She squealed in delight, making the friend by her side roll his eyes but Guillaume laughed happily. When she came a bit closer she jumped in Gyl’s arms and he spun her around. When they came to a stop they kissed passionately followed by a sea of awws from their friends.

“If you don’t marry each other I’m cutting my penis!” A voice said and laughs followed.

The red haired boy walked over to Daniel and kissed his cheek.
“Hey Jeff!”
“We need to talk!”
He took his arm and rose him to his feet. Daniel looked over at Gyl and Liz. When she saw the look on his face she immediately turned to lock her eyes with Gyl. He smiled bitterly and looked at his shoes.
Yeah, there was nothing they could do. He was powerful, Daniel was weak and Jeff would abuse him again.

“I’m sorry!” Jeff said and Daniel answered: “I know!”
The story would repeat itself.