The River

Chapter 4

When Liz was 16 all she wanted was someone to love her. She found a nice man, age 21, who she thought that loved her. It was a relationship filled with everything you couldn't ever expect at 16.
3 months afterwards she found herself pregnant.
She had an abortion.
Life wasn't over after this she went on, slowly, but she didn’t feel herself anymore.
It was this guy that put her on her feet. His name was Alan. He lived two houses down from them. He wasn’t her type and she wasn’t his type, however Alan stood by while she got over the depression.
They had a friendship that resembled one of twins.
Time heals most wounds.

It was 3 days after Jake moved in with them. She was watching the strange occurrence. Daniel was in love with everything Jake was.
Deep inside of her she had to admit Jake was somewhat like Gyl or Alan, sweet natured, kind and hard working.

When the door opened and Lars and Alan came in she squealed in joy. Jake looked at her hugging the new comer tight.

In that second he thought that for an Asian he was kind of tall. He had dark eyes, black rimmed glasses, a hooddie with AFI written on the front, tight black pants and an emo haircut.

“Hi Alan!” Daniel exited the room late as usual limping his way to the bathroom.

Jake learned on the second day never to ask what’s up with him. He learned very quickly that Jeff was abusing him mentally and physically and the best he could do was stay out of their way.
As much as he despised it Jake cared for Daniel, a lot more than he should. The first two days they tried to find him something to work and every refusal would be met by laughs and encouragement from Daniel. When the results proved to be disastrous he bought them vegan ice cream to celebrate defeat. Then they stumbled home and Daniel made a play list - a killer play list that pushed Jake over the rim of friendship and he felt exactly in the arms of love.

Eventually one of the guys called and he got a job, but then Jeff came home Jake was reminded that the most amazing boy ever didn’t belong to him. He also remembered he wasn’t even really gay. Wanting to kiss a boy couldn’t really be counted as being gay.

But when he saw Alan walk through that door and he started chatting away with Liz he wanted to know for sure.

He rose and went outside. There on the steps he pondered his options. There was no way he could be with Daniel while he was with Jeff and he didn’t have where to go or how to take Daniel with him.
He knew Daniel had some sort of feelings for him, sometimes he would catch him looking at him with longing, but still he let his boyfriend do certain things to him.
Boyfriend.

The door opened and Alan took a sit near him on the stairs.

“You ok? You spaced out and left. Liz is worried.”

Jake smiled because he liked how Alan cared for that girl. A girl he grew to love like a sister in the past 3 days.

“You like her?”
“Not that way. I’m gay.”
Jake nod. “I, on the other hand, am not sure about it.” He looked at Alan and smiled. “I like your taste… in everything.” He looked at Alan and smiled. “You look great!”
Alan looked away and blushed. He then dared to look Jake in the eyes again.
“Thanks, I guess.”
“C’mon, let’s go in!”

Lars looked at the house again and smiled. It was what he wanted and he knew he’ll drag Liz, Gyl and Daniel with him.
As he signed the papers all he could think of was how happy they would be. The talk with Daniel the other night made him determined to rent the place.

“I think I wanna get away.”
Daniel was lying on his bed. He looked up at Lars sitting on the chair.
“I don’t think I can take it anymore. You are right. I should just get away.”
“Why?”
Daniel looked away. He closed his eyes and didn’t talk for a long time.
“Maybe cause of Jake. I mean, there are good guys out there. I might just find another one. I know I’m not alone for a change. I’m not the one I was when I met Jeff. I’m older, stronger. He fucked me, ruined me, made me his slave, but I’m tired of it. Do you think we can leave?”

To that Lars could only nod. He promised Daniel he’d find them a place far away from this one, a home of their own.
They had a little meeting of their own at the park without Jeff. Everyone took the news in a different way.
Jake decided he won’t stay after Daniel and Guillaume would leave. Daniel felt terrible and he begged him to join them, but Jake refused.

He was confused.

Two hours before he invited Alan out. He was ready to forget Daniel and now there he was being told everyone was leaving Jeff behind.
Alan joined them. He broke in, inviting Jake to live with him and his friends. They lived closer to his work place.

Different emotions bloomed inside of the people in the group. Daniel was relieved and sad in the same time. Lars was confused; he thought Jake liked his cousin. Gyl was happy cause of the change. Liz was worried for the 3 people that formed the love circle. She didn’t exactly see the drama coming but something deep inside of her whispered about it.