The River

Chapter 9

Daniel woke up early. His body hurt as he walked to his bathroom. His heart was beating so fast he was afraid it would jump out of his chest. He called Gyl.

“Gyl, have you seen Jake?”
“No…” Liz’ voice could be heard in the background saying she’ll call Lars. “What happened?”
“He came here… it was terrible. I need to find him!”
Daniel rose and went to the window when he saw his car was missing he said a loud fuck!
He ended the conversation with Gyl, got dressed and called the police.

Daniel walked in circles in his room looking at the telephone every two seconds. He’d bail Jake out jail, that wasn’t the case, he was just afraid Jake would not understand.
Daniel was afraid. He didn’t want anything to happen to him. The sexual abuse just made him realize he was doing things the wrong way that he should have never left him behind. His Jake was on the road of recovery and he left. What else but a worthless shit would do that?

Liz walked down the alley. He hated that place. It was a long narrow street were drug addicts and prostitutes usually lived. It wasn’t her first time there. She was on her way to see a friend. At the end of this alley there was parallel one with bigger houses and some of them had a little garden in front of it.
The alley was quiet at day. From time to time she would hear something breaking or a telephone.
Sleeping by day, working by night.

Liz heard the steps and walked a bit faster. She was reaching the street. She felt the hand on her shoulder and turned. Two guys were standing there grinning.
She was pushed in the wall and they pinned her hands above her head. She screamed but one of them shushed her with him own mouth. She felt the lip and bit down on it. The copper taste of his blood invaded her mouth and for a second she could swear he was smiling against her mouth.
She was trembling, she was so afraid she could barely breathe.

Then he heard the thud and she felt her hands being released. She pushed her captor away and he backed off willingly but not cause of her but because he was punched by someone. He recognized Jake.

“C’mon!”

They got in the car and drove off.

“Shit! Thanks!” She took one of Jake’s hands and held it close, her knuckles turning white.
“Where to?”
“I… I was going to a friend… I wanted her to go with me to the doc.”

Jake went with her. Only when they stopped in front of the building did he realize where they were going. He left out a squeal and a ‘oh my gosh!’.
Liz grinned at him.

When they left the building they were a mass of happiness. Liz was pregnant. Jake felt like he found heaven.

They stood on a bench and Jake told Liz everything. She held his hand tight all through the story. When he was done she suggested going home by foot to let the negative energy draw off.

Daniel’s phone rang and he jumped from his reverie.

“We found the car but he was nowhere in sight Sir. The car is intact and we suggest you come down at the section to retrieve it.

He cried. He expected anything; he was ready for anything but Jake’s disappearance.

Gyl hugged Liz close and kissed her face million of times when she told him what happened on that alley.
He was so happy that Jake had been there.
Lars came home when Liz finished her story and he was filled in. He hugged Jake close, he had never been so happy to see a person his entire life.

While the two of them talked in hushed voices in a corner Gyl called Daniel and asked him to come over.

Jake got his own room back and the just collapsed on the bed sighing. He knew he had to call Daniel, he knew he had to apologize.
He had so many plans, he wanted to work on his bass and guitar again, he wanted to stay away from drugs and alcohol, get a job, take care of Liz, maybe one day when he’s heart would be less broken find someone to share some months with.
Slowly he drifted in a dreamless sleep.

Jake woke up when he felt two cold lips on his forehead and two fingers caressing his cheek. He wasn’t completely awake when a warm body climbed in bed with him, but when those cold lips touched his own and asked for entry he opened his eyes and got in lost in Daniel’s. He moaned and kissed back with all he had.

When the kiss ended Daniel looked at Jake and smiled.
“I’ll help you put your life on track.”