Jump

One.

“No, don’t, please don’t.” Running, yelling soundlessly. “Don’t…”

Clean, crisp, calm air. Strange for such a stereotypical polluted modern city. Especially now, in the middle of summer, at a little past midnight.

It feels almost cold enough to snow. She’s only ever seen snow twice. But it doesn’t snow in this city. It has never snowed and it never will.

She was crying again. This wasn’t anything strange, or different, for her, not really. Teardrops sparkling with the reflections of a million lights fell through the air. She didn’t notice. All she knew was that her face was cold, oh-so-cold against the crisp air, so cold, just like the rest of her.

It was her name that made her stop. Not the name, the voice that said the name. She stood stock still, trying to breath suddenly sluggish air into her lungs. She swallowed thickly. She did not turn around.

City lights winking, saying ‘follow us, we’ll lead you’…

“I don’t want you to go.”

“You’re lying.” She didn’t turn around, didn’t look at him. She didn’t want to see the false concern in his eyes. They were all liars, just like her. Liar, liar, pants on fire…

“It’s not so far,” she whispered to herself, swiping away tears. “Just a little way down…”

Like the high ropes course everyone in Year 9 had to do…

“It’s…really high,” she muttered to the supervisor.

“It’s okay, just step off the edge. You can do it.”

Edging closer. Back a bit. Forward again. “Okay. Go.” She stepped off. Exhilaration.


“Same thing…” She almost didn’t recognise her voice.

“Don’t jump.” She swallowed. The lights were glinting, sparkling, dancing for her. Beautiful lights. Beauty…he was, wasn’t he? People didn’t usually call boys ‘beautiful’. But he was. He was…

“It’s how you die, not how you live, that defines your life,” she said harshly, the unforgiving words grating in her throat. She didn’t remember where she’d heard that. But it seemed appropriate.

Memories. Is this the part where your life flashes before your eyes? Maybe, maybe not. There are only two things on her mind. Her whole life revolved around two things? Him. And them. Without despair, there is no hope…

Breathe. Only a few more. Beating. How many beats left? Tears drip. A little faster. I am not afraid to keep on living…

“I’m sorry.” She turns around for one last look. No one is there. Fuck. She jumps.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please tear this to pieces. I need the advice.