Status: Active

To See Is To Believe

Cotton Patch, the People Game, and Other Things

2 hours later, Father, Kayne and I sat around a table at Cotton Patch. The smell of burgers and their famous chicken fried steak wafted around the room. My friend Johanna who was pretty much the only one my age that wasn't picking on me, took a seat to my left, "Hey Zephyr."

"Hey Jo. Let's play the people game." I said.

She laughed and agreed. The people game was where I would listen to someone having a conversation and then depending on the tone and context, I would try to guess what the person looked like. Then, Jo would tell me what they really look like.

Every once in a while, I'll get it right but most of the times I'm wrong.

I heard a voice behind me, "Come on Dad, be reasonable. The only reason I have to go to this school is because you think I'm an idiot."

"It's a boy around our age who's sitting with his dad and seems to be upset." I whispered. Jo sounded impressed when she replied, "So far you're correct." And then I heard a deeper voice rumble a reply, "Austin, calm it down a bit. We are at a restaurant and you need to act like a gentleman."

"But Dad, if I left who would look after Jimmy and Yara?"

"Leave that to me. I think it is none of your business what happens once you're gone."

"So you're happy I'm leaving?" Austin asked in shock.

"No, I never said that."

"You didn't have to." There was a screech from a chair being pulled out and someone getting up.

"Austin sit back down." The dad said.

"I need a break. I'll be back to pay for my meal."

I sighed to myself as the conversation ended. I tried to imagine the dad and easily came up with an answer, "I think the dad's a broad shouldered man with graying brown hair and hard gray eyes. The son's probably a jock with muscles, blue eyes, and a nice smile."

"Zeph, you got it almost exactly right!" Jo breathed.

"What part did I get wrong?" I asked.

"The son actually has gray eyes with blue stripes."

"Details smetails." I dismissed it with a wave of my hand, "If you'll excuse me, I have to use the restroom."

I heard Jo stand up as well, "Jo, it's okay. I can do this."

I heard her sigh and sit back down while I reached down and grabbed Suri's leash between my fingers, "Suri, waitress."

Suri had been specially trained for years so he was way smarter than the average German Shepherd but he loves to cuddle. He yipped and then pulled me along, weaving in and out of people's way. Finally, I heard our waitress say, "Yes, may I help you?"

"Where is the bathroom?" I asked.

She sounded uncomfortable, "Uh, follow me."

"Suri, follow." I commanded as Suri started to take after the girl.

Finally, I made my way out of the restroom and Suri's leash slipped out of my hands. "Suri?" I called but didn't get an answer.

Suddenly, a wall came up and hit my face, "Oomph!"

"Oh I'm so sorry!"

"It's okay, I usually bump into walls."

"My name's Austin."

I gasped. It was the guy who was talking to his dad angrily about a school. "And you are?" He asked.

I laughed bitterly, "Blind so I wouldn't know if you wanted to shake my hand or not."

There was a pause before he chuckled, "Really what's your name?" My mouth dropped open, "You don't care that I'm blind?"

"As long as you don't care that I'm autistic."

"You don't sound it." I said before clamping a hand over my mouth and blushing. His laugh was contagious and was music to my ears. Whoa, that was sappy. "That's because I've got such a mild case that it's barely there but my dad knows it's there and that seems to be enough for him to ship me away. So were you born blind?"

I sighed, "No, my mom and I got leukemia when I was 6 and then she died and I lost my eyesight."

There was an awkward pause before I spoke again, "Well, I better get back to my dad." And just then, Suri barked and nuzzled my hand.

"Suri, bad dog! Sit, stay, shake." I commanded.

"Uh why is your dog holding out its paw?"

"To shake your hand."

"Yeah that's not weird at all." He chuckled and Suri barked indicating that Austin had taken it and shook.

I started to walk away when he called out, "Wait, you never told me your name."

I turned back, "Zephyr,"

"Cool name,"

The feeling I felt was unexplainable.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment, rate. If I don't get any subscriptions on this one either than I'll know to stop writing it.