The High School Years of Elizabeth Miller

Introduction

It was the first day of freshman year.

My map of David Evans High School had been the only way I got around to the right classrooms the entire day, despite having studied it all of last night. I didn’t want to look like the desperate freshman I was. ’Well, that didn’t work.’ I thought to myself as the bell rang, and the people talking quieted as the teacher moved to the front of the classroom.

She looked overly happy, one of those first year out of college types who are really excited for their jobs. Her room already showed that, with a colorful border around the whiteboard and encouraging “Hang in There!” posters everywhere. I sighed and absentmindedly twisted hair around my finger, staring at her as she eagerly introduced herself to us as Ms. Jenson.

As Ms. J, which she told us she wanted to be called so the classroom would have a more ‘inviting atmosphere’, continued on her life story and teaching philosophy, the guy next to me caught my attention. He had his arm propped up on the desk and his head already resting on his hand, looking like he was already about to fall asleep. “Oh my god, why is she so happy?” He mouthed to me, and I grinned. I gave him an exaggerated thumbs up, much like the smile she was still giving us, even as she talked.

“I don’t know how she has the energy,” I mouthed back at him, which he grinned at and nodded. He yawned exaggeratedly and faked stretched, then settled back into the position he was before. The rest of the class had slowly stopped paying attention too, and quiet conversations had broken out across the room.

“I’m Beth,” I introduced myself in a whisper to him, the teacher was still talking.

He grinned at me. “Hi, I’m Noah.” The class was still talking. “What do you have next?” I pulled my map out of my back pocket, where I had written my entire schedule on the back of it.

“Geometry with Erikson.” He grinned at me.

“Same! Any idea where it is?” I laughed at that and turned my “schedule” around to show him the other side.

“Only with this.” At that point Ms. J’s lecture ended and she started handing out syllabuses and other papers. I looked over at Noah and grinned, and he smiled back. ’I guess it won’t be that bad.’ I thought hopefully.
♠ ♠ ♠
word count: 410
Ehh had to set the scene of course. (: I'm already planning some twists and challenges for Beth, to make it truly a high school experience.

Oh, and this teacher is based slightly off my third period English teacher freshman year, who was just way to happy every single day. Seriously. (;