Sequel: Ocean's Burning
Status: Complete! Please check out the Sequel!

Disenchanted

Chapter 10

“You idiot!”

Kitty, Ron and Hermione ducked all together, as Ron and Hermione’s cauldron exploded. Kitty, out of fear from behind them hid under her table, until she heard Slughorn give a dry chuckle, before uttering a spell to put the contents back in the cauldron. Kitty sat back with a glare as Ron wiped at the table, while Hermione sneered. With a sigh the odd girl stirred at her cauldron glancing to her left, before she bit her lip sadly and turned back to her cauldron.

“Miss Parkinson, do you know where Mr. Malfoy is?” Slughorn asked the girl seated next to Harry in the back of the room.

“No, I don’t.” Pansy snapped, shooting a glare at Kitty, who immediately looked away and back at her book, where she boredly added ingredients.

“Well, done as always Miss Jenkins.” Slughorn beamed from the side of the young girl, “If I had more Liquid Luck I would-”

The Professor was cut off by the dungeon door slamming open and then shut, Draco stood at the back of the room, unsure before Slughorn addressed him.

“I do not tolerate tardiness Mr. Malfoy.” Slughorn said seriously, his eye twitching as Draco glanced at him with a bored stare, “Take your seat, and do what you can during the remainder of the class. Miss Jenkin’s assist him please.”
Kitty glanced up from her cauldron and towards Draco, who had already placed his chin on his folded arms, before she glanced at her friends, Ron was surprised, Harry suspicious and Hermione unsure.

“Don’t help me.” Draco hissed at the girl who jumped at the sound of his voice, “I’m not going to do the assignment.”

That only caused Kitty to frown deeper, before she turned back to her work turning the pages of the book, glancing out of the corner of her eye, as Draco stared at her thoughtfully.
Kitty sucked in her bottom lip and smiled unsurely, as she glanced at him with narrowed eyes, asking What?
Draco didn’t answer but instead sat straighter as Slughorn passed by their table giving Draco an annoyed look as the blond pulled out his supplies, and finally set out to work. With a small smile on her face, as she turned the pages of the potions book, she delicately kicked Draco in the ankle and slid her left over materials towards him, her smile growing more pronounced as he took them, with a quick nudge of his own hand to hers.

“Are you excited to be going home for the Holidays?” Kitty asked with a smile as Draco grabbed her hand as they walked down the steps towards the grounds, careful not to slip in the snow. When he didn’t answer Kitty averted her gaze, and snapped her mouth shut, “Sorry, I forgot-”
“What?” Draco snapped, “That my Father is in Azkaban? Doesn’t raelly matter anymore.”

Kitty gazed at the boy, and saw a flash of pain in his eyes before they continued walking down the rocky path. They walked in silence, until they came across that patch of tree. Draco held the girls gloveless hand tighter in his as she shivered as they sat on the stone wall at the edge of the forest. Kitty fidgeted along side him as she stared up at the white covered trees, glancing at him occasionally, to see a distracted look on his face as he stared straight ahead. Kitty nudged him delicately with her arm, watching as he blinked rapidly.

“Why were you late to Potions?” she asked him softly, watching and feeling as he stiffened next to her.

Draco didn’t answer. He thought back to the cursed cabinet in the room of requirement. It was supposed to have been fixed by now. He jumped as Kitty turned his face towards her. He couldn’t blame the girl, even though she was the great and wonderful distraction.

“I had to deal with Snape.” Draco said dryly through clenched teeth as he stared at the moving trees in the wind, watching as the fluffy particles fell from the branches, some to the ground, others towards them in the wind.

“Everything okay, now?” she questioned back as she gazed at him through her hair. The boy was quiet, fear etched on his face, but he nodded none the less and turned towards the girl, and dry, crooked smile pulled at his lips, “Yeah.”
Kitty nodded, unsure, before standing and pulling the Slytherin boy to his feet and off of the wall.

“Are you going to Slughorn’s party?” she asked him as the walked along the forests snowy edge towards the Black. Draco didn’t answer, insteadt intertwined his fingers with the girl beside him. Kitty sighed, “Harry asked me to go, I’m going. And I’m curious to see who Hermione’s bringing to make Ron jealous.”

The first part of the sentence captured Draco’s attention and he stopped walked causing the girl to be pulled back to his side.

“You are?” Draco asked dryly.

Kitty sighed and turned to the boy who was now frowning deeply, and rolled her eyes and turned to face him, starring up. His face was hard and cold, and as she lifted a hand to his cheek, she saw a sneer working his way onto his face.

“Listen to me,” Kitty chuckled, earning a daggered glare from Draco, “Harry and I are friends. That’s it. You’re enemy ideas that fill both of your minds need to dissapear.”
Draco rolled his eyes, but froze, as the girl placed a kiss on his cheek, before with a giggle she took his hand once more and pulled him along.

Draco watched hesitantly as the girl stepped on a large rock that was surrounded by the frozen water for of the Black Lake. She had a huge grin on her face as she waved at him and he sat on the log a few feet away from her. His legs were shaking from the cold, but as long as the girl was happy he was fine. He watched as she hesitantly and delicately stepped off of the large boulder, leaving her hands against the large rock as she stepped on the ice.

Draco was about to open his mouth, when he heard laughter from his left, turning he froze as he recognized Hagrid and Hermione. He knew that if the two saw him anywhere near Kitty they would think the worse, with an annoyed sigh, he turned towards the girl, about to tell her that their time was about to be cut short, before he heard the sickening sound of ice cracking and the sound of something falling in the water.

“Kitty?” he asked loudly, glancing at the spot where the the girl had been standing as he stood from his seat. He glanced around him, hoping the girl was playing a prank on him. As he took another step forward however, he ran as he saw the girl push up through the crack with a gasp and a scream before she sunk back in. Running over the large rocks he tentatively took a step on the ice, but winced and pulled back as the ice cracked under his weight. With a flick of his wand he let the ice crack, as Kitty surfaced and sunk back down right as the boy made a grab for his hand, their fingers touching momentarily.
“Granger!” Draco yelled without hesitation.

Hagrid glanced up, and stared as he saw a blonde head yell at them from the water’s edge.

“What does he want?” Hermione rolled her eyes glancing at her companion who stared curiously. Hagrid who towered over her narrowed his eyes from the snowy place they had stopped at, and stared at the blonde boy, who was now laying on his stomach hands reached out towards-

“Kitty!” Hermione shrieked running quickly towards the Slytherin and the thrashing girl in the water.

Draco let out a scream of agony, as Kitty yelped out a help before the lake current pulled her farther away and under. Draco stopped as he heard footsteps behind him, and silenced the other Muggleborn and her movements with his hand, who was about to step next to him. Draco listened tentatively, his ear pressed against the ice, until her heard small fists beating against the frozen surface near his feet.

“There!” Hermione cried, watching as Draco pushed himself closer on his stomach towards the girl who struggled to stay afloat before he grabbed by her coat and dragged her out of the water.

With Hermione’s help they pulled the girl onto the rocky shore, as she shivered and coughed violently, holding onto the half giant’s coat as it was placed around her shoulders. Hermione cast a warming spell over Kitty as she leaned agaisnt her, and watched as Draco scratched the back of his neck awkwardly, before Kitty flung herself in his arms with a sob, causing Hermione, Hagrid and Draco to all stare at each other in horror.

“That was really brave of you Malfoy.” Hermione said as she handed the Slytherin a large mug of tea as they sat in Hagrid’s hut. Draco said nothing, but ignored the girl who spoke to him and instead turned his attention to the girl beside him, who clung strongly to him as she shivered and buried her cold face into his neck.

“Say thank you,” Kitty whispered to the boy as she pulled the quilt tighter around her as the boy snuck his hands under the blanket and laid them over her trembling hands.

“Thanks, Granger.” Draco said lowly, avoiding her gaze as she stared between the two curiously.

Like Hermione, Hagrid wasn’t sure what to make of the boys behavior with the odd girl. Neither knew what to say or do. Instead the two watched the “couple” if you will, interact. If Kitty moved to her left, Draco moved to his right. They always had to be touching, some sort of contact had to exist.
As Hermione watched her friend play with the Slytherin’s hands, she couldn’t help but let worry consume her. For as she watched the Slytherin Prince, press his lips against the girl, she began to slowly question his motives.
♠ ♠ ♠
I miss my comments! A big moment happens next chapter
please please comment, and if I get a good amount of comments, I will update tonight!