Status: Completed.

Your Heart, Not Your Head, Remember?

1/1.

Amanda cuddled into her boyfriend’s side while they watched a movie. But her mind wasn’t really on the movie. Specifically, it was wandering into her relationship with said boyfriend.

Her and Pat had been dating for a year, best friends for years before that. Your typical best friends falling for each other romance. Except that in those stories, everyone was relieved they were finally together. In Pat and Amanda‘s, no one liked the thought of them together. Mostly because of their three year age difference. Amanda didn’t think it was such a big deal, they loved each other after all. But apparently everyone else thought so.

And now she was beginning to doubt how long they would last. Why would they last if everyone she knew was against their relationship, even if it made them both happy?

Pat seemed to notice her change in mood, holding her closer and rubbing her shoulder. “Everything okay, Manda? Or do I have to put one of your dresses on and make fun of your mom again?” She laughed weakly at the memories of his many parodies of her mother.

“No, Pattycake, I’m okay. Promise,” she reassured him, albeit a bit waveringly.

“Lies!” he yelled, his grin giving away the joke. “But seriously, what‘s wrong? Something‘s bothering you. I know you, remember?” he smiled at her, kissing the side of her head softly. She smiled, but returned to seriousness seconds later.

“I don’t really know how to explain it, Pat. Just that.. Us, my friends..” She trailed off faintly, not knowing where to go in her explanation. But it seemed Pat had realized what she meant, and now a small worried frown adorned his face.

“Manda..”

She shook her head as Pat scooted closer, wrapping her in a hug. “We can do this, Manda. Why couldn’t we?” She shook her head again, but relented, resting the side of her head against his shoulder. He smiled, laying his head on hers lightly.

“Pat.. Everyone’s just, so against us. Like we really aren’t meant to be together.” A note of doubt tinged her voice, a worried frown making itself a home on her face. “What if we aren’t?” His grip tightened on her the slightest bit.

“We can, Amanda. I know we can. We have to ignore what everyone else says. They’re just putting thoughts in your head. Listen to your heart, not your head, remember?” Pat said it as if he had been preparing his speech since day one, but she knew where it came from. Exactly what he told her to listen to. His heart.

“I know,” she said quietly, leaning into his hug as she thought. Not really thought, but listened, just like Pat told her to. They could’ve been there for hours, with as much attention Amanda paid the time. She still wasn’t completely sure when she finished her quiet session with herself. But did know that she loved Pat with everything she had, as cliché as it was.

When she looked up, she laughed to herself quietly. Pat had fallen asleep. She curled up closer, settling her head on his chest, contented with herself once more. She kissed his shoulder lightly with a whispered, “I love you.”

As the minutes ticked by, Amanda’s eyes drooped lower as she fell closer and closer to sleep. Right when she was about to fall into that abyss, four words were whispered quietly in her ear. “I love you too.”