Todd

Finding Out

The door opened and I saw my grandmother crying in a chair with a hand full of tissues smothering in her wrinkled and peeling hands. Tears threatened to escape my eyes at the sight of my own Grandma Francis so sad looking as she was. I also saw another man in a chair adjacent to hers. Brother Ayoroa was on the bishopric at the time and his family and ours had been friends for a very long time. I sat down near my grandmother and watched her mouth start to sputter, trying to give out words between he tears.
“Hillary, I want you to have all the strength and comfort that I can give you right now.” her words made me instantly think that she was dying of cancer or some other incurable disease. I noticed then that I had stared crying from her crying and looked over to the bishop and Brother Ayoroa. The bishop’s smile turned into a direct frown. This made me want to scream.
“Should I tell her, or do you want to?” Brother Ayoroa said to the bishop.
“You go ahead.” He said back to him. Bro. Ayoroa paused, making me feel uncomfortable and wanting to jump out of my chair to scream for an answer. But my mouth and feet, thankfully, were glued together and to the floor. I waited for what seemed like (pardon the pun) a death sentence.
“Hillary.” he said with his good English with a little inkling of a Spanish accent. “Your brother was involved with an accident.” Oh great, I thought. That kid got into another car accident didn’t he. When is he going to learn that driving in real life is not like driving in a game? But I would be very wrong very soon. My lips stayed together as I waited to hear what he did with his brand new Mazda 3.
“He. . .tried to commit suicide and. . .he shot himself. I’m so sorry.” That’s when I stopped breathing. Shot? I wondered. Where? Hopefully in the chest. He could still live on that way. Please don’t let it be in the. . .in the. . . I couldn’t even bring myself to say it. I couldn’t. It wasn’t possible. I thought then if I don’t think it, it didn’t happen.

Right?