Always.

Chapter two.

Chapter two

School isn’t far from home; it’s about a 20 minute walk. I like the exercise, better than being crammed up on a bus. Willow caught me as I was leaving the school gates to remind me that I was being an idiot for refusing to go stare at the new guy, I seriously couldn’t care a less and said id see her tomorrow. The look of disappointment on her face almost broke my heart but she had to learn I really wasn’t interested. I shoved my iPod headphones in my ears and set off home, about half way I got the tingling in the back of your head that makes you think someone’s following you, and as I turned my head to the side I realised my feeling was right. There was a broad figure a good ten yards away, my pace quickened but not noticeably or I would seem like an idiot if we were just walking in the same direction. I looked back again really unable to see their face for the hood, it was definitely unnerving but they didn’t seem to be aware of me. I was that busy looking behind me I missed what was in front of me, a car pulling out of its drive. It hurts walking into a car, I’ll tell you that, especially when it’s moving but luckily it wasn’t going very fast and the most it did was nock me flying onto my ass. Right into the path of whomever it was that was following me, clever, clever Eva.
A hand reached out to me, it was a very nice looking hand my head whipped up to examine the rest of the body that went with it, and I’m glad I looked even though I couldn’t really see much just the outline of a jaw. I must have been gawping because he cleared his throat and gave me a quirky smile. Kicking myself into action I grabbed his hand ignoring how it made my fingers tingle from the warmth.
Before I managed to murmur my thank you, he stepped right past me and slouched off down the road like nothing had happened. Probably a good thing I’d only have made a fool of myself, he sent my nerves sky rocketing. I wonder if I’ll ever ‘bump’ into him again, I hoped so…
When I got home mum wasn’t in, can’t say I wasn’t glad it meant I didn’t have to make an effort to avoid her. And I got to watch what I wanted on TV for a change, but I couldn’t seem to get that mysterious guy out of my head. One minute I’d be watching the hills on MTV then the next I was replaying my run in with Mr mysterious, I was becoming a love sick Barbie like willow, something I swore to myself would never happen. What am I going to do with myself?
Mum came home in the early hours of the morning and from the noise she wasn’t alone, she fell up the stairs giggling like a drunken school girl, suddenly I felt like the disappointed parent. Of course the noise kept me awake, the whole two hours of it.
The next day of school was torture, but I didn’t really expect any less. Much like I don’t expect much from anything, there’s only so much disappointment you can take in a life time and I’ve had more than my fair share. Willow soon tracked me down, there’s no stopping that girl, ‘hey Eva, how are you today?’
‘Oh you know, mum brought a guy home last night couldn’t sleep for all the racket.’ Insert major eye-roll.
‘Ew, that sucks Eva. What’s with your mum lately?’ her little brown eyes were round with concern it was cute. I liked knowing she cared.
‘God if I know, seriously the drinking thing is getting out of control, and those sleazy men, ugh, I’m just thankful I’ve never seen any of them. It would make breakfast kind of awkward wouldn’t it’ I attempted a smile but willow didn’t seem like she wanted to carry on the conversation, her attention was elsewhere.
‘Come on Eva, let’s get to class.’ She grabbed onto my hand and led me to science. I hated science but it was the last lesson before lunch and I was starving so I was eager to get it over with. Willow seemed in a world of her own, she didn’t speak to me for most of the lesson, she was too busy fidgeting and looking behind her, so as I was curious I looked back to see what was making her act so strange. And right in the back corner of the class room was Mr Mystery; he caught me looking and gave me a sort of half smile that I returned. I rather liked getting to see him properly, and just like I thought, he really was stunning. He had chestnut brown hair with golden flecks that waved down to just past his ears, he was nicely tanned and had a very angular face, his lips were full and made me just want to stroke my fingers across them. He was slouched in his chair but he even managed to make that look good, his baggy jeans and red hoodie looked amazing on him and not at all scruffy. Willow noticed me ogling and our brief contact and shot me a really pissed off glare, I’m guessing smiling at him was against the rules. But I was glad my wish came true, even if it pissed willow off it did cheer me up getting to see his face.
Willow didn’t waste time grabbing me by the elbow as we left the classroom and literally dragged me to the canteen. She plonked me down at a table, I was about to witness the wrath that is willow stone.
‘Why did you smile at him? You told me you weren’t interested in the new guy!’
‘Whoa whoa who said that smiling at someone meant I was interested and by the way he smiled at me first!’
‘I don’t care Eva, he’s mine. You gave up the right to him when you told me you weren’t interested in any of the guys at this school!’ her little nose and her forehead were all pinched up and she does this really funny thing where she pouts like a duck when she’s angry, Makes it quite hard to keep a straight face.
‘Look willow I didn’t realise I was doing anything wrong, from now on I will ask your permission before interacting in anyway with the male of the species okay?’ I grabbed her hands, although I wasn’t being deadly serious I needed to make sure she would believe me I didn’t want her to be mad with me. She seemed really upset so I knew I must have upset her, she doesn’t usually get like this about a guy even if she does find him really hot.
All she said was ‘okay Eva, but promise me you won’t decide you like this one guy. Please?’
‘I promise.’ I really hope I wasn’t lying…