Status: working

Blog It Out

Brand New Day

College.
"The Best Time of Your Life".
Dad always said that to me and my brother. Once Ben was accepted he moved out. Then once I was accepted Dad moved out. Leaving us the house. Naturally my brother took it and I went to the dorms to have the so called "college experience".
Had I know this is what it would be like, I would have never left the safety of my house.
My first week I had my hair light on fire, my roommate slept with the love of my life, and we both got kicked out of our dorm forcing me to move back home and sadly, my roommate too.
So we start with my brother Ben, our friend Wendall, and the love of my life Christan, unpacking my car. Just a few clothes and bed sheets really. The only reason they were there was to see the new college girls. Ben was actually there for me.
When we got to my room it stank to high heaven of cigs. Through the cloud of smoke that was failing to go out the window like sh had planed, we found Nikki, my roommate.
"Sup?" She managed to say through coughing. Waving her hand to push out the smoke I found her to be a rather pretty girl. Her hair colour was a fake black and she had a few rings and ink but otherwise very good looking. I wouldn't have minded her checking out Christan while he brought in my suitcase. No it wasn't until I saw him look at Nikki's ass while she picked up her lighter that she "dropped".
"I'm Kerl," I tried to get her attention back on me rather than my hopeless crush. "Nice to meet you. Which bed is mine?"
"I guess whatever one you want. I don't to be here that much. Gotta friend down the hall who is a great time." I felt that friend to her had a different meaning.
It was two trips to get my stuff up stairs, and thankfully no one tried to loot my truck while we were upstairs. But what would they do with crappy third to fourth hand clothes and raggy bed sheets. I didn't bring much cause well, I got a huge house not to far full of my things. With my dad I expected Ben wanted the place to himself. After he rented it out to his friends that is.
My brothers friends are mine as well. Growing up, we found ourselves liking the same things. I mean they were all his age and his friends first, we all just grew on to each other. I'm like everyones little sister, and they were all my family.
Wendall and Ammy had been together since they were literally six years old. They didn't mean for it to happen, just slowly but surely they ended up together. In the group they were like the mother and father, always taking care of us.
My brother and I were like the older brother and sister everyone wanted. As for, Christan, well he was the kid next door that always hung out. But one day when my heart was broken, Christan showed a some what human side to him. I got a spark for him, and since then ts felt like he was trying to get it to grow into a flame.
In this room I was with my boys hearing stories of how they remember college, at least the nights they did remember. After getting her clothes away Nikki left for some where. It wasn't until we unpacked my things that Wendall pulled out his flask and a few paper shots.
"I think its time for a toast," He said poring whiskey into each cup.
He spoke while handing everyone a cup, "To Kerl for finally growing up. To Ben for getting his own house. To Christan for.. maybe those are new shoes."
"Thank you" Christan snapped. "Been waiting all day for you to notice."
Wendall chucked, "And finally guys, the big news. Tonight, I'm asking Ammy to marry me."
We cheered and raised our glasses.
It was a brand new day for all of us. Had we just slowed down this moment to remember how happy we all were, to see what we had. I think that moment we saw what life could be, but we didn't see what that moment had become.