Status: Stoked.

Give It to Me.

Love me partially.

It seemed like in no time I was back at work. Kennedy's emotional promise at the back of mind, of course he hadn't kept his word. Our breakfast that morning went completely the opposite of what I had expected, he was miserable the entire time.

I tried to focus on my work, tuning out his angry face. I had sped absently minded through all my work, seeing my outbox full of completed assignments. I felt proud, that on my first day back I had completed all the things I had missed. Kennedy also had a doctor's appointment I had to take him to, so finishing early meant I wouldn't be rushing from place to place.

I texted Tessa, telling her to cancel her plans and meet me for lunch. She agreed happily, meeting me at the sushi spot smack dab in the middle between both our works. She bounced into the restaurant glowing with happiness. I was jealous instantly, Jared was back to his normal, loving self.

"Hey!" She squeezed me.
"Hey," I smiled softly.
"Still in the dumps?"
"Yes," I grumbled sadly.
"Ken, still?"
"Yes," I felt my face fall significantly.
"He didn't seem his usual self at breakfast Saturday morning."
"He's completely given up on himself and everything around him, including our marriage," I felt my heart squeeze tightly.

We hadn't even been married yet, and we were already growing apart. I tried to fight back the tears as I thought about the revelations I had at the hospital in Missouri when Kennedy was in critical condition.

"Aw, Mace," She reached for my hand, squeezing it lightly.
"It's so unfair, Tess. I tried so hard, I stayed by his side 24/7, I realized he was the most important thing in my entire life," I sighed wiping my eyes with my free hand.
"He still is, isn't he?" She questioned me.
"Of course," I said almost instantly, "he's just so difficult right now. I honestly have no idea what to do. I've tried almost everything in my power."
"Give him some time," She said sadly.
"I am, I haven't given up. I'm just lonely and feel so distant from the one person in my life that I thought loved me unconditionally, it's so hard."
"Stay strong," Tessa stroked my hand softly.
"And we're supposed to get married in three weeks," I said feeling more tears in my throat.
"And you will," She said confidently.

I shrugged sadly.

"I planned your bachelorette party, speaking of which," She clapped her hands excitedly.

I let a small smile form on my lips, knowing at least the people around us weren't giving up on us. I needed someone to show me that fighting through Kennedy's tough times would be worth it. She spilled all the details, none of which I could actually listen to and remember. But she seemed thoroughly happy and I'm sure the celebration would be a grand one.

I looked at my phone, I was going to be late for Kennedy's doctor's appointment. I cursed under my breath slowly hurriedly thanking Tessa and throwing down some cash before sprinting to my car and speeding home. I took the stairs 3 at a time, feeling the burn in my calves as I threw the door open. Kennedy was waiting in his wheelchair by the couch, his eyes focused on the TV. He had begun to grow a beard and his hair looked matted and greasy as I let my eyes run over him.

"Sorry, I'm late," I was out of breath.

He shrugged and I quickly asked Jared for some help taking him down the stairs. Kennedy's dark eyes were empty as we got the chair down the stairs. Jared helped me get him into the car and we exchanged no words as we got to the doctor's office. I helped him slide into his wheelchair and I pushed it toward the entrance, the automatic doors sliding open. I signed him in and we were in the examination room fairly quick. The Arizona doctor was a handsome young man that seemed pretty indulged in his patients. I listened closely as he began to examine Kennedy's fully healed wounds.

"They all healed beautifully," Dr. Graham said happily.
"That's good, what about the casts?"
"I'd say within the next couple weeks they can come off and he can start working harder at PT," He smiled at us.

I didn't have the heart to tell the doctor that Kennedy had refused to go to Physical Therapy the last couple weeks. I nodded and he began to go through Kennedy's charts, writing a couple prescriptions and finally scheduling a PT appointment through his computer.

"It won't let me schedule, that's weird," He hummed, my heart skipped a beat, I felt like we were in trouble.

He immediately was on the phone with the clinic, inquiring what the problem was.
"None? Two weeks?"

Fuck. He knew.

"No, thank you," He said kind of surprised.

He set the phone down and looked at us, he was clearly puzzled.

"The clinic said you have remaining fees from no shows at the last 4 appointments scheduled for you, Mr. Brock," He informed us on something we already knew.

Kennedy shrugged non-nonchalantly.

"Should I be concerned? Do you not like the clinic?" He asked concerned.

I bit my lip and tried to look anywhere but at the doctor, though I could feel his intense eyes burning a whole through my skin. Kennedy was also silent, before I seen his head tilt toward me and then toward Dr. Graham.

"Fuck physical therapy," Kennedy said calmly.

I was stunned staring at the situation playing out in front of me. Dr. Graham's eyes were also wide with shock, "Mr. Brock."
"Kennedy," I snapped, "don't take your fucking problems out on someone whose trying to help you."

Kennedy scoffed and wheeled himself out of the exam room. I stared after him incredulously even minutes after the door was shut. I finally forced my eyes toward Dr. Graham looking at him sadly.

"Dare I ask?" He questioned.
"We've been having some problems," I began, "he just completely gave up on himself. Any and all attempts I've made to help him, get him out of the house were futile. He hates himself. He hates his situation. Frankly, I think he hates me," I said quietly, feeling my heart strings pull tight around my throat, choking me up.
"I can recommend a psychiatrist for therapy?" I looked down at my shoes.
"He refuses to leave the house. I basically drag him out of the house for these appointments which he clearly doesn't give a shit about either," I said sadly.
"Aren't you guys supposed to get married here shortly?"
"Three weeks," I said quietly, "it's looking less and less likely each day."

He was silent as I gathered my purse and turned to leave. His face looked sad and helpless as he grabbed my arm softly, digging through his wallet and handing me something.

"There's my card, in case you're ever in need of that recommendation. I don't suppose you guys will be back for awhile," He looked at me seriously.
"I hope we do," I said quietly walking out of the examination room.

I stormed to the car where Kennedy was already inside, his wheelchair sitting outside the car-door. I grabbed it hastily, folding it up and throwing it into the back seat. I was huffing and puffing to the extreme, feeling the anger run through my hands and my blood.

I said nothing as we got to the apartment, helping him up the stairs silently. I drug his wheelchair up on the second trip, feeling embarrassed and enraged slamming the door and storming into Jared's room. Jared and Tessa were both gone but I desperately needed space away from Kennedy. I felt like slapping him repeatedly, I felt like telling him he was wasting his time acting like a child. I cried into Jared's pillow, feeling the need to see my parents and hear the comfort of their voice. I wanted to eat my mom's homemade food and crawl into my teenage-years bed to cry.

I needed a break away from the negativity. I needed a break from Kennedy. I felt the sadness in my heart knowing that I was nearing a point I had never reached before. I had never wanted to be intentionally separated from Kennedy, and I never thought about postponing our wedding. I stood up and wiped my face clear of tears and make-up before trudging into our room. I began to pack a bag, I put in a week's worth of clothing and felt Kennedy staring at every move I made.

"What?!" I shouted back at his confused face.
"Where are you going?"
"Do you legitimately give a shit orrrr?"
"I wouldn't ask if I didn't care," He retorted.
"To my parents," I zipped my bag and stood up, hearing Jared and Tessa come through the front door, giggling.

I stared at Kennedy, giving him a chance to change what was happening. Give him a chance to make me feel like leaving wasn't the right decision. He picked up his phone and directed his attention to the lit-up screen.

I laughed an exhausted defeated laugh before walking out of the bedroom and walking over to the couch where Jared and Tessa were canoodling. They looked up at me; my hair a mess, my make-up smeared and smudged and finally my tote hanging from my shoulder.

"Where are you going?" Jared questioned.
"Mom and Dad's, can you just help him while I'm gone?" I was exasperated, my voice cracking.
"Y-Yeah," They said in unison.

I walked out of the apartment before any more questions could be asked. Pre-marriage so far was kicking my entire ass. And I thought I was ready for indefinite marriage?
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoy! I really like this update in a weird way! It's really real, and almost relatable! Feedback makes me happy! xoxo