Status: Active! :)

Shine On

Chapter 3

8 months ago...

“Rupe! We have to go!” Harper protested one beautiful day in the beginning of June. She had seen an advertisement for a music festival going on near Rupert’s house. She always took any chance to go to a concert or anything involving music.

“We have to? As in we’ll die if we don’t?” Rupert teased in return giving her a sly smile with a raised eyebrow.

Harper bit her lip and looked up at the ceiling as she pretended to think about it for a while, then nodded her head gleefully. “Yes, pretty much.” She went up to Rupert with a pout on her face in hopes of persuading him to go with her. However, she knew that the pout wasn’t necessary, he always went out with her wherever she went. Their relationship was completely platonic. Since they met a few weeks ago, they had spent a lot of time together enjoying each other’s company. To be expected, Rupert agreed happily to join her. Harper grinned at him as she did a small dance in front of him. He laughed which was followed by Harper laughing as well. Anxious to get there, she skipped out the door with Rupert walking closely behind her.

They spent the day walking along side each other listening to different bands and visiting vendors who sold the most peculiar things. Out of the blue, Harper even decided to buy a ukulele on a whim. When it was nightfall, they sat side by side on the lawn at a distance from the crowd, listening to an indie band. It was a beautiful night. There’s wasn’t a cloud to be seen, the sky was glittering with stars.

“Dance with me.” Rupert proposed unexpectedly.

Harper gave him a confused look. They never did anything of this sort before. Had she even heard him right? “Uh...what?” were the first words Harper could think to say.

Rupert stood up and held his hand out to her. “I asked you to dance with me, but if you don’t want to...” Harper put her hand in his and got up from the ground. His hand remained clutched to hers as he put his other hand on her hip. Harper had no idea where to put her hand, she’d never been asked to dance with someone before. Rupert noticed and moved her hand to his shoulder, then put his hand back on her hip. Harper flinched a bit when she felt a shock run through her when he touched her. “Are you okay?” He asked softly.

“Yes. Of course.” She replied nervously. Seeing as she had never been asked to dance with anyone before, she wasn’t sure of what to do. She was almost certain she would be terrible at it since this was her first time.

They swayed side to side steadily and quite awkwardly to be honest. Harper didn’t know if the loud beating she heard in her ears was the bass of the music or her heart. It was the first time Harper felt her heart beat this rapidly in a long time. She felt Rupert’s hand move to the small of her back and pull her closer to him, their chests touched. Harper looked up to see Rupert staring down at her. The moonlight hit his blue eyes perfectly. She never realized how enchanting his eyes were. One corner of his mouth curved up. Harper’s heart skipped a beat. Little did she know this would be the start of their not-so-platonic friendship.
♠ ♠ ♠
I really appreciate the comments I'm getting. Thanks! And I can't believe how many subscribers I have. I would really love if the feedback kept coming. It helps a lot :) Thank you for reading!