Status: working

XXX

Five

Within my masters quarters, he began to speak more freely. His cloak was hung on the back of the chair in his office. Master Liam rolled up the sleeves of his shirt, and loosened his tie as it were.
"What was it that labeled your father as a traitor?" He asked walking to a wardrobe.
"He was a noble man, sir," I started. "He feel in love with a servant girl and ran away. They were married with children, sir."
Master Liam was looking for something, but kept talking. "I see nothing wrong with love. Why should he be a traitor for following his heart?"
"Forgive me sir, but it is against the King's rule to marry outside you class. Woman can not produce children unless they are breeders. My mother was just a cleaner, sir."
My master came out of the wardrobe with a deep red garment draped on his arm. "What was the name your mother gave you?"
"Jocelyn, sir." I bowed my head in shame. "Father told me it was the name of his mother."
"A noble woman's name," He nodded. "It's a shame. I like it better than Emily."
"Thank you, sir." I blushed a little.
He offered me to sit down, and leaned back on his desk. "You are very lucky, you know? Most people either meet one parent or none at all. Many girls don't have the luxury of living with both parents and a sibling, let alone for as long as you have."
I didn't know what to say. I left my mouth closed and took the sit offered to me.
"What happened to your sister?"
I blinked back a few tears ready to slip at the word of my sister. "I'm not sure, sir. She was arranged to live with our mother's mother. I haven't heard from her since my father funeral."
"How did you learn it was your mother who sold you out?" He was smoothing the garment out between his fingers.
"She was praying the night my father was taking," My heart was sinking as the memories were coming back. "My mother had said to the Lord that she didn't mean it to go this way. That she just didn't want to live in fear and hiding anymore. My father wanted to save the woman he loved, but she wanted to save herself in the end, sir."
I could tell Master Liam didn't want to continue the subject matter. He handed me the red garment.
"Take this to Adriana," He said. "Tell her I need it pressed and matched for drinks tonight. She is most likely in the wash room. Go out to the main hall, into the dinning area, and passed through the kitchen."
"Aye sir," I bowed, began for the door.
"Jocelyn," Master Liam, said before I got to the door. "Alone I will call you that, but please understand in sight of others I call address you as Emily. As well you should ask Adriana for new garments for yourself. Can't have a girl as pretty as you in that burlap sack."
I almost smiled at how nice he was being to me. Then I remembered that I am owed by him and that my image reflects his own.