Status: working

XXX

Six

The halls of Prince Liams quarters where extravagant and gaudy. Priceless pieces of art filled the Main hall from head to toe. The floor looked fleshly polished and like no one had ever walked on it. I felt as if I should walk around the walls instead of across the floors. I was still learning my rules and to be on the save side I followed my instinct.
Master Liams dinning hall was just as extravagant. In the middle laid a long table with padded chairs and silver plates set out along side bowls of fruit. At the other end of the room, behind what I could only guess was the masers chair, laid a fire place big enough to a carriage inside. All the wood was a dark brown with a red tint to it. Paintings of people who must have been family lined the up-most part of the walls .
A door laid in the back of the room, hidden next to the fire place. Through that door, was a loud and far less peaceful place than the past few rooms. Woman and men shouted around each other in languages I didn't understand. Pushing past each other in a hurry, bu it seemed like nothing was going out.
"You there," Someone shouted. "Adriana's in the back." They pointed to another door that was swinging open from the coming and going of servants.
The wash room was warm and muggy from the hot water. Garments and fabrics of all colours where hung up and draped everywhere they could fit.
"Are you Adriana?" I asked a woman who wore a cap and cleaner dress compared to the other workers.
"Aye," She looked me up and down. "Take it you're the new one, eh? What's the Master want this time? Someone to wipe his ass?"
"Nye, miss" I handed her the red garment I had. "Says he needs this pressed and matched for drinks to night. He also said I should look for new garments for myself if it wasn't too much trouble."
Adriana held the shirt before her. Signing, she called over a girl and gave her orders in what seemed like the same language as before. The girl took the shirt, nodded, and hurried off.
"The Princes outfit will be ready soon," She told me. "Follow me and we'll find yourself something to wear."
We walked through many machines that hissed and whined. Girls were coughing, dripping with sweat, most seemed like they'd fall over in a second.
"You are very luck to not work in here," Adriana told me. "The King sends mostly what he claims as ugly, sick, and unworthy into this room. Sort of hiding them in shame. And no one leaves because they all need the money."
I wanted to leave this place. This room was a breeding ground for death. Adriana took me far into the back, where there was a window looking into an office, no one was in the room. It was a lot colder and easier to breathe in the room than outside. Adriana moved to a closet type place, unlocked it, and began searching through it.
"What's your name newbie?" She called from inside the closet.
"Joce- Emily," I told her.
"Nothing to be shamed about," She held some clothes in her hand. "Most girls never know the name their mothers ave them, those who do have forgotten it. The trick is to write it on a part of the wall in your quarters that they'll never look. Which is easy cause no noble will ever be seen in a servants room. If they ever were, well lets just say that you won't be worried about them searching your walls."
I know she was trying to help but it didn't make me feel any better about the matter.
Adriana handed me the clothes she held. "The basics. Three wears of the uniform, a nicer uniform for when the Master tells you to wear them, pajamas for yourself, and Master Liam had requested you to be fitted with ball gowns and other such dresses which will arrive in your quarters later tonight. Shoes and such are in the box in the corner, marked with your given name. Any questions?"
"No miss," I said.
"Good," she handed me a paper. "Sign here saying you were given these clothes, should you not know how to write your name, Place an 'X''.
I did so, then headed to my own quarters in hopes of washing the rest of the blood of my back.