Hate

Hate

Tom Marvolo Riddle never liked any of the children at Wool's Orphanage. They were whiny, snot-nosed and oh so very normal. He enjoyed tormenting them. Above all others, he enjoyed scaring Allison Black the most.

Allison was six when she was left at the Orphanage by her Aunt. The child, with her wild brown hair and deep green eyes, was everything Tom hated. She was full of life, excitement and seemingly the essence of innocence. Not only that, but she and Tom shared a birthday. Oh, Tom Riddle hated her. He swore that she would pay for whatever unjust thing she had done to him; that reason likely being her purely existing.

The summer between Tom's sixth and seventh year, he was given the perfect opportunity to off her for good. Mrs. Cole was taking them to the seaside.

Allison was wearing a powder blue dress. One of the younger girls had braided her hair and two large ribbons held her braids in place. She looked young, refreshed, happy. Tom hated it. He hated her. He wanted to get rid of her. She reminded him too much of Jane. Free spirited, never letting the bad things get to her.

He hated her for making him think of Jane.

"Allison?"

She was sitting near the cliff, a book in her hands. It had been donated to the orphanage. Allison liked reading muggle books. Tom hated her for that, too.

Allison folded down the corned of the book - another thing that made Tom hate her - and looked up. "Tom? What do you want?"

He cleared his throat. Her green eyes were too innocent for someone with a past like hers. Tom hated her for being so naive. "Would you like to go for a walk?"

Allison looked around. Mrs. Cole was scolding a group of the younger boys for going too close to the cliffs. She bit her lip and then stood up, brushing off her dress.

"I suppose a walk wouldn't hurt."

Tom hated her for trusting him. He hated her for following him. He hate hate hated her.

Allison, however, was all butterflies and rainbows inside. Since the first day she stepped inside Wool's Orphanage she had fancied that Tom Riddle. The Tom Riddle with the funny middle name. The Tom Riddle who killed her rabbit, who went away every year to a school far away. The Tom Riddle who never came 'round for the holidays, and who never, ever spoke to her.

Until that day. The pair walked along the slick path that wound down the cliff side. Tom considered pushing her over the edge, thinking of how easy it would be to off her right then and there. Be patient, Tom he told himself, a wicked smile on his face, she'll get what she deserves.

Tom and Allison had both turned seventeen that year. For Tom, that meant he was Of Age and could perform magic without his every spell being tracked by the Ministry. It meant that he could fully enjoy what he planned on doing without being caught.

"Tom, where are we going?" Allison asked as they reached the bottom of the cliff.

Tom hated that she asked so many questions. "You'll see soon enough."

"We shouldn't be long, Tom. Mrs. Cole said we're to be eating lunch soon."

He hated how much she listened. Leading her inside his cave, his lair, Tom drew his wand.

"What's that? Tom?"

"You ask so many questions." He said darkly, turning to face her. "I hate that about you. I hate your questions, your attentiveness. Your naivety and your innocence. I hate how you fold down the corners of your books- your stupid muggle books. I hate how you look in blue.

I hate how you always seem so happy. I hate how much you remind me of Jane. I hate how lively you are, how happy. I hate that we share a birthday. I hate your hair and your eyes. I hate everything about you. I hate you. I. Hate. You."

Allison took a step away from Tom, one arm held in front of her as if it could possibly protect her. Tom was seething, finally able to say what he had been wanting to say for years. Tears welled up in her eyes.

Tom liked her tears.

"I- I thought-"

"You don't think!" Tom's temper, his hatred for muggles, was boiling his blood. The curse was on the end of his tongue. Two simple words and it would all be over for her. "You muggles never think of anyone but yourselves!"

"What are you talking about? I think of other people!" Allison shrieked. "I think about Lily and Alec and Victoria. I- I think about you."

Tom blanched. What did she say? She thought about him? Possibly cared about him? That was too much for Tom to handle. He reminded himself that that was the exact reason why he wanted her to suffer. She cared too much. "Crucio!"

The curse hit Allison square in the chest. She screamed, collapsing on to the black rock, writhing in agony. Tom's eyes were alive with maddening fire. After several moments of relishing in her pure agony, he broke contact. Tears rolled down Allison's pink cheeks.

"Why?" She whispered, trying to prop herself up on one arm. Her head was bleeding from the impact with the rocks.

Tom sneered. "Because I wanted to. Ever since you stepped foot in that bloody orphanage eleven years ago, I've wanted to take all of your joy away. You were abandoned by your own family and you acted as though it had no effect on you at all!"

"Tom! I was six years old. I didn't understand. Do you even know why I was left here?" Allison sobbed, trying to stall.

"No. And I don't care. Avada Kedavra!"
♠ ♠ ♠
Word Count: 987