Status: I feel as though this needs a warning since there wasn't one... So- SLOW PROGRESSING SLASH. There we go~

Sweet Surrender

Chapter 15

Varian woke to the sound of his alarm clock going off and sat up, thrashing around with his covers for a bit before untangling his legs and sliding off the bed. Stumbling over to his alarm clock across the room he hit the "off" button and sighed, running a hand over his face.

He was tired, and had never been so ungraceful in his entire life.

"I need to feed," he groaned softly to himself. He did. He'd gone a couple days now without feeding and his reflexes and body were showing signs of the need for food. On the bright side, at least the school gave food that he didn't have to pay for.

Striding over to his closet, Varian opened the door and glanced around. He really didn't care much about wardrobe at the moment. Reaching in, he snatched one of his favorite gray checkerboard plaid shirts and a black V-neck T-shirt to go under it again. All that was left was a faded pair of worn out bluejeans.

Holding the clothes he'd picked out securely to his chest, he walked into his bathroom and yawned. Oh yeah, definitely needed blood. Turning the shower on to the coldest it could get, he stripped out of his pajamas and jumped into the shower. Hissing at the cold downpour, he tried his best not to bite his lip and grabbed the soap.

Lathering up the scrubber, he did a quick scrub down, wanting out of the shower as quickly as possible. Stepping fully into the spray, he shrunk back, feeling his body shiver. It felt good to know he was alive, as much as he hated being cold.

Pouring shampoo into his hands he worked it into his hair and scrubbed fiercely. Out. He wanted out. Teeth chattering, he rinsed out his hair as quickly as possible and did the same to the conditioner. Why did it take so long to do his hair?

Snarling to himself, he finally got out the last of the conditioner and shut off the shower. Steeping out of it, he grabbed a towel and wrapped it around his waist before picking up a brush and starting at the ends of his hair and working his way up. The brush snagged and caught, and he grimaced in pain as he wrenched it out of his hair. Grabbing the snarl, he worked his fingers through it, pulling out the knot one bit at a time before starting again. Almost instantly his brush got caught again.

"Fine!" he snapped, throwing the brush against the wall. Instantly he heard the irritating sound of plastic snapping. Wonderful. He'd broken his brush. Not the first time.

Pulling open the top left drawer under his sink, he pulled out another brush and began to brush out the loosened snarl. Once again, his hair snagged, clinging tightly to the bristles and weaving into a knot with itself in a nice clump. Removing the brush, Varian set it down before yanking open the medicine cabinet and withdrawing a pair of scissors. He grabbed his hair at the base of his neck and used the scissors to cut below his clenched fist.

Varian smiled to himself as he heard the sound of sharp blades sliding against each other, cutting through his hair easily. He felt the weight leave his head as fistfuls of hair slipped down and fell lightly to the bathroom floor. Satisfied, Varian turned around to see the pile of his dark brown hair. Or what used to be his hair.

"Good," he said before turning back to the mirror and using the the scissors to smooth out rough areas and getting rid of the shagginess. When he was done, his hair was much shorter than it used to be. It ran down just below to the nape of his neck where the ends curled inward. Smaller tufts of hair curled at his temple, like the two strands at the base of his widow's peak. Running his fingers through it, Varian turned his head, admiring his handiwork before deciding enough was enough.

Drying off, he dressed and grabbed his pajamas to throw into the washer. Opening the door to his bathroom he glanced into Venerra's room to see she wasn't in there. Good. She was already up.

"Are you dressed yet Venerra?" he asked, padding down the hall and into the kitchen. Surprisingly, she wasn't at the table. Going into the laundry room, Varian tossed his clothes in before deciding to see where she might be.

"Venerra?" he asked, glancing into the living room. She wasn't on any of the couches or loveseat. He furrowed his brow, before pausing when he heard a sound coming from her bathroom.

Quickly he made his way over to it to peer into the open doorway. Venerra sat on the floor, holding her stomach. Her face was white like a sheets, and she was shivering.

Going to her, Varian knelt down and touched her cheek. "Venerra? Are you sick?" he asked, watching her meet his gaze.

"My tummy..." she whispered before Varian watched her swallow quickly. Grabbing her, he whisked her over to the toilet where he helped her kneel and she bent over and threw up. Grabbing her hair, he pulled it back away from her face as her tiny little body convulsed and she held her palms flat on the floor as she brought up anything in her stomach.

"Oh Venerra," Varian whispered gently, rubbing her back and patting it gently. Of all days for her to get sick.

She gasped for air before she sat back and began sobbing. "I-I'm sor-ry," she cried, wiping at her eyes.

Varian pulled her back into his arms and held her gently, stroking her face and pulling back sweaty locks of her hair. He could feel her shivering in his arms and he picked her up, grabbing a bucket and brought her out to the living room. Carefully he set her down on the loveseat and pulled a blanket over her, tucking her in. She shivered and snuggled under it, still pale.

Placing the bucket on her lap, he smiled when she clutched it near her.

"You don't have to be sorry," he said. "You can't help it when you get sick."

Venerra sniffed and wiped under nose. "I don't want you to stay."

Varian paused. "You can't get me sick, and the virus won't be spread by me."

"No, go to school."

Varian blinked for a moment, surprised by her perception and knowledge. "Alright, I'll go, but first let me take your temperature."

Venerra nodded before she got her sick expression again. She clutched the bucket and threw up again. Varian felt his heart constrict watching her suffer. He remembered what it was like to throw up. One of the least pleasant experiences he'd ever had.

When she finished he took the bucket from her and quickly went into the kitchen to rinse it out and wash it. Turning off the tap, he snatched the thermometer and headed back into the living room where Venerra sat back and closed her eyes.

Setting the bucket down next to her, he pressed the small blue button on the thermometer and waited for the beep to show that the screen was on. Walking around the loveseat he perched on the end of it and leaned over. "I need you to open your mouth and let me take your temperature," he said.

Venerra silently complied, letting him place it under her tongue. "Hold it there, and don't mess with it, I'll be right back."

Getting it up, he strode into the kitchen and grabbed the phone before dialing the only number he knew would be available. Pacing back and forth, he pressed it to his ear and tapped his fingers against the plastic of the phone. It rang three times before he was met with the sound of somebody picking up the line.

"Hello?" came the voice of a sleepy Helen.

"Helen, it's Varian. I have a favor to ask of you."

He heard her practically jump out of bed before she responded. "Getting dressed now, what is it?" she asked, sounding alert.

"Venerra has the stomach flu and doesn't want me to stay home to watch her. Are-"

"Say no more, I'm on my way. I'll be there in two minutes tops."

Before he could say anymore, the other line clicked off and Varian sighed before putting the phone back on it's charger. The sound of the thermometer beeping reminded him he needed to check it. Rushing into the living room he knelt and took the thermometer from Venerra who smacked her lips in distaste.

"One hundred and one," Varian said, reading the number. Setting it down, he grabbed another blanket and piled it on the one Venerra was under.

"Cold," Venerra whispered, shivering.

Varian swallowed and fought back the urge to lash out at something. His sister was sick and he couldn't cure it.

"The front door opened and Helen strolled in carrying a couple bags. Varian immediately went to meet her and grab the bags from her, but she shooed him away. "Don't think, I brought 'em, I can take care of 'em," she said, setting them down on the kitchen island and pulling out a couple things.

A bottle of Sprite, some Saltines, and children's aspirin. "To settle her stomach," Helen said, gesturing to the Sprite and Saltines. "And reduce the fever I'm assuming she has if she's truly got the stomach flu."

"One hundred and one," Varian said.

Helen nodded and turned her dark eyes to him. Varian was surprised by how completely dark they were. But what surprised him the most was herself in general. For a woman who claimed to be thirty four, she had an ancient air about her. Even her hair, honey gold like like Jecklynn's seemed to make her feel older, despite the youthful cut.

"Helen?" he asked.

"Yes?" she replied, pulling out a white paper bag and handing it to him.

Varian took it and smiled, knowing exactly what was in it. "When did you meet your husband?"

Helen smiled in memory. "I met Ron when I was sixteen."

"Where is he now if you don't mind me asking?"

"He died a long time ago. Heart attack," she answered.

Varian frowned. "I'm sorry you lost him."

"We had three beautiful daughters together. I couldn't ask for a better gift," she said, smiling sadly. "Now get to school, and eat up. You're looking rather peckish."

"Thank you," Varian said, grabbing the white bag and his back pack parked on the kitchen table waiting to go. Before he left he went into the living room one last time and kissed Venerra's forehead. She lay fast asleep under the blankets he'd put on her.

"See you when I come back," he whispered before heading out the door and running around to his truck. Getting in, he slid into the seat and buckled his seat belt after closing the door. It was going to be a long day, but on the bright side, the school year was nearing it's close, and Varian was all too happy to be able to devote himself to the farm fully.

"A few more weeks to go," he said to himself as he pulled out of his driveway.

**********************************************************************************************

Nathan did not want to get up.

At all.

But it was Monday, and he had to go to school. Plus he didn't want to be stuck with Elle all day.

Sitting up in his bed, he yawned, rubbing his eyes briefly before standing and going to his closet and grabbing a few random clothes.

He needed a shower...

Stepping into the warm water, he sighed. The school year was getting closer to an end; much faster than he had expected.

Then again, a lot had happened this year. So he could understand it in a way.

Scrubbing shampoo through his hair, he frowned slightly. The bottle was nearly empty. Which meant he'd have to get more soon.

Stepping out of the shower and drying off, he quickly put on his clothes, briefly attempting to make his hair look semi-manageable before giving up entirely. He had briefly though to get it cut before deciding that no, he wouldn't look right.

Going down the stairs and into the living room, he wasn't surprised to see it empty. Eric's car was still there, which meant both he and Elle were still upstairs, which suited Nathan just fine as he walked into the kitchen, looking through the cabinets for something to eat. Not finding anything, he figured Ee would probably go out shopping in a day or two. He'd also tell her about needing shampoo...

It was about 7:30 when Nathan actually left the house, finding his car keys hanging on the wall and driving to school. He managed to not be late by about five minutes.

The beginning of the day passed quickly, for a Monday. It was Lunch that seemed to drag, for whatever reason.

"So, Nate. How was your weekend?" Andrea asked with a smile, which was a lot different than the expressions she had last week.

"Uh... It was okay..." Nathan mumbled back. No way was he going into the whole "Varian's alive and I nearly jumped him in his back yard before we went to the zoo. I also yelled at my mom and cut myself on glass"

"That's it? You're too happy on a Monday for that to be it." Andrea responded, looking at Nathan in concern. "Did you run something over?"

Glaring slightly, Nathan crossed his arms over his chest. "No, I did not."

"Well my weekend went well! I got hit on by this guy, but I had to tell him I wasn't gay, and I got a new phone, but I accidentally wiped the memory, so I lost all my contacts." Justin said, smiling as well. Nathan stared between the two, raising an eyebrow. Why the hell were they so happy? Granted he wasn't as pissy as usual on a Monday either, but Jesus...

"And now, I'm gonna get lunch!" Justin announced (not that it was needed) before heading for the line, leaving Nathan and Andrea at the table.

"So, Nathan. What are you doing after school?" she asked. He shrugged back.

"I don't go to work until four today. So I guess nothing until 3:30." he replied. Andrea smiled wider, leaning back in her seat. "... Why?"

"Oh. Just curious." she said vaguely, glancing around over her shoulder until she got to Varian's table- Nathan noticed her smile falter slightly once she got there. Nathan glanced over to the table out of curiosity, but almost did a double take.

Varian's hair was missing. Well, it was obviously cut, but still. It looked nice though.

Looking back to his own table, Nathan noticed Justin had sat back down, and was humming what sounded like a Christmas song. "You getting food Nathan?"

"No. Not really hungry." he sighed, leaning forward on the table and glancing to the clock.

Three more hours and he could go home. For a little bit. At least.

**************************************************************************************************

Varian tuned out most of the beginning of the day. Only he couldn't quite tune out Evan who wouldn't stop until he was cornered in the bathroom with him once again.

"May I use the restroom?" Evan asked during the middle of Trig.

"Of course, but you need a buddy," the older teacher responded.

"I'll take Varian," Even said, getting up, grabbing his arm and practically dragging him into the bathroom where he shoved him up against the wall and pinned him, his face too close to Varian's. If Evan moved an inch they'd be kissing. Varian hoped silently he wouldn't.

"You have any idea how much I've missed you?" he asked, sounding hurt.

"If your words aren't enough, Mr. Happy down there is," Varian hissed, not particularly liking how Evan was all pressed against him.

Evan's eyes widened as a blush crept up his cheeks, staining his flesh a delicate shade of rose that colored all the way down to Evan's collar bone and Varian suspected it went further, to his chest. "I can't help it, it's your hair. Makes you look sexier."

Varian sighed and pulled his hands out of Evan's hold and placed his hands on Evan's shoulders before pushing him back. "Even if I was interested you wouldn't have any leeway."

"Why?" Evan asked, pouting, trying to get close to Varian again.

Varian hesitated slightly. He was going to reveal a lot to Evan, as much as he wished he wouldn't, it'd be the only way he'd get him off his back and focus his attention elsewhere. "Because I don't do it, I get done."

Evan blinked, and looked Varian over. "You...you're uke? What?! That's not fair! You can try-"

"I will try nothing," Varian said sternly, cutting Evan off. "I'm taken, and would love it if you stopped trying to get me into your pants. It's not going to happen."

Evan looked devastated and it hurt Varian to see his friend so hurt. "You knew from the first moment you laid eyes on me I was unobtainable. I think you're just turning your frustrations on me to keep your mind off somebody else."

Evan's face turned darker in a deeper blush. "You can't know that."

"I can, and I do. Go after him Evan, Klay's been wanting you too," Varian replied before slipping past Evan and walking back to Trig leaving Evan alone in the bathroom. As much as it hurt, Varian knew he'd done the right thing.

**********************************************

When Trig finally ended, Varian got to got o lunch and receives many stares from everyone again. Nothing new.

"How you feeling?" Stan asked, setting his try down next to Varian.

"Hungry," Varian said, not hesitating to eat his lunch. For once the dry fries and soggy green beans were delicious.

"That seems normal," Stan replied. "Hey what's up with Evan?"

'What about him?" Varian asked, looking around nervously.

"He's sucking face with that Klay Peverson guy. They've been at it since lunch began." Stan pointed in the direction Varian was to look. "See?"

Varian glanced over his shoulder to see Evan doing exactly what Stan had said. Sucking face with Klay Peverson.

"About time."

Stan laughed and smiled as Jecklynn came to join them.

"How's Cane?" she asked, noticing Varian's lunch tray was empty. She placed several of the items from hers onto his tray.

"Thank you," Varian said, devouring the new food slowly though he really wanted to shove it in his face. "He's enjoying the pasture. I haven't had any time to work with him yet."

Jecklynn smiled at him and adjusted her hair, flipping it over her shoulder, exposing her shirt which was a little more low cut than it needed to be. "That's fine. I like your hair."

"Yeah, what'd you do with it?" Stan asked.

"It got annoying, so I cut it."

"You did a good job," Jecklynn said eying him.

Varian didn't feel uncomfortable, actually he was curious as to why Jecklynn was trying so hard to get his attention. He was her friend already, what more did she want?

He decided not to delve on it and went back to eating. What would Nathan think of his hair? Maybe he'd go to Latin class today.

*********************************************************************************************

Latin. He didn't feel like going to Latin.

Not like he did anything in that class anyway, but still.

Slowly slipping into his seat, Nathan glanced to the side, noticing Varian wasn't there yet. Assuming he hadn't decided to skip the class altogether.

And he still wasn't entirely sure how to refer to Varian. He supposed he could call him his boyfriend, but it felt... Odd, in a way. But it was a good sort of odd, which confused the hell out of him.

He also had no intention of telling Justin or Andrea about it. Simply because if he told Justin, Andrea would inevitably find out, and then go on some sort of self-righteous speech about how he should be dating someone "better", which Nathan didn't feel like hearing.

His thinking was cut short by a bunch of whispering, letting Nathan know that Varian had definitely just walked in.

"Isn't that the guy who ran out of the cafeteria?"

"Yeah. Guess he's got some kind of disease."

"Wouldn't want to get too close to him then. Might be contagious."

It made Nathan irritated just hearing a few of the louder ones, watching Varian out of the corner of his eye as he sat down. He was quiet for a minute before deciding he should probably say something.

"... You cut your hair."

Varian paused, running a hand through it almost thoughtfully. "Got too irritating I guess. Didn't really want to mess with the snarls in it anymore." he rested his arms on the desk after that, smiling. "Besides, this isn't the first time I've had it short. It's just the shortest it's been in a few years." he turned back to Nathan, sliding his hands along the desk to casually grip the edge of it. "Your hair looks different today too. It's messier than usual."

Nathan frowned, putting one hand on the top of his head. He didn't need to know that.

"Don't tell me that. You're gonna make me self conscious."

Varian laughed at that. "I think it looks wonderful when it's messy." he said. Nathan turned to him, but by then Varian was facing front again, messing with one of his pens as Nathan could barely make out a slight pink tone to his cheeks.

Ignoring it, Nathan ran his hand through his hair. "You don't have to live with it." he mumbled, attempting to flatten it and not succeeding in the least. He finally gave up, dropping his arm onto his desk and sighing.

Varian chuckled, putting his pen down. "You don't have to deal with running a farm, so I'd consider us even. You get almost impossibly tamed hair, and I get hard to tame horses."

"... There are days when I'd take the horses." Nathan said seriously. He was fairly sure that, given the option, he'd take the hair, but there were days he thought about it...

"Cana would like that. He's taken a liking to you surprisingly fast." Varian responded.

Nathan only hummed, unable to say anything back. Honestly, the horse still scared him shitless. Leaning back in his chair, he crossed his arms over his chest.

"Like horse, like master I suppose." Varian mumbled. Nathan wasn't sure if he was supposed to hear or not, but he did. He only smiled to himself, trying to keep it as unnoticeable as possible.

Varian began to fidget with his pen again, the blush from earlier coming back. At the same time, the whispers got louder, until people were almost yelling over each other.

"Get a room!" someone said. Varian seemed to be ignoring it, fidgeting with his pen only slightly more than before.

"Do you kiss your mother with that mouth after you've been at it?"

Varian gripped the pen tightly.

"No you idiot! He doesn't have a mother. Haven't you heard? She abandoned him."

The pen was beginning to bend, worrying Nathan as he remained silent and watched Varian.

"Heard he has a sister. Bet she's just as diseased as he is."

Varian snapped the pen, throwing it at the same person who made the comment about Venerra.

"Must you always talk?!" Varian fumed, his face turning into a mixture of anger and almost animalistic fury. "Do you not hear the absurdities you're saying? If I were diseased, I wouldn't be here!" he turned to the teacher, his fists clenched at his sides. "You! You've heard them whisper all sorts of crap and you haven't done a single thing. Maybe it amuses you," he turned back to the class, "But think of all the people you're degrading in a pitiful attempt to make yourself feel better. Everyone's going to look at you and see you as the scum you really are. I'm sick and tired of all your rumors." he growled. Nathan could feel himself sinking lower into his seat- even though he knew Varian wasn't directing anything at him, he was still becoming a little scary. Not that Nathan could really blame him.

"Get a life and grow a pair! I'm done being the center of your entertainment." he finished, grabbing his bag and striding out of the room calmly.

The class stayed quiet, and Nathan didn't move for several seconds before he actually sat back up correctly. Varian was nice- too nice at times. But holy hell, he could be scary as fuck if he wanted.

Still... he should see if Varian was alright.... Sighing to himself quietly, he stood from his seat, the teacher not even protesting as he stepped out of the room and glanced both ways to see where Varian had gone.

It took a minute to catch up; Varian could walk faster, and Nathan was a fair bit shorter than he was. He could tell as he got closer that Varian was slowing down, which he was grateful for.

"I'm not going to start ripping apart the school." Varian said, not even glancing in Nathan's direction.

"I-I didn't think you would." Nathan replied, wincing as he heard the stutter before starting again, "But... I just wanted to see... if you were alright..."

Varian stopped walking, leaning back against some lockers and putting his palm to his forehead, staring at the ground with a sigh. "I shouldn't have gotten so angry, it's not good. It'll just give them more to talk about."

Nathan opted to remain silent, because he couldn't disprove it. People would talk more, if only to piss him off. Putting his hands behind his back, he tried to think of something that might make Varian feel better. "... On the plus side, I'm pretty sure you scared the shit out of a few people."

"It's about time." Varian responded, removing his hand and beginning to walk again, towards the entrance of the school as he slung his bag over his shoulder. "Not that you want to hear or anything, but I need blood." he said, his tone light and casual, and all traces of anger gone.

Nathan scrunched up his nose, sticking his tongue out slightly. "I still find that gross." he mumbled.

"That's because you've been brainwashed by your mother."

Well... granted his mother had hidden quite a few things from him, he didn't think he'd feel any different about it. Blood is blood, and the idea of drinking it from another person just sends him into a level of disturbed that he is most definitely not comfortable with.

"But to me, it's as natural as breathing. Besides the point, I don't care much for cornering people and drawing their life essence from them either. But to stay Changed, I need to do it."

Nathan remained silent except for a sigh and a head shake. Varian wasn't completely fine after the classroom. He rarely brought up Nathan's mother unless Nathan brought her up himself. And he hated to admit it, but she was still his mother, and the comment was slightly uncalled for. Yet he couldn't bring himself to feel angry over it.

Varian must've taken Nathan's silence to mean that Nathan wasn't comfortable with it, stopping and turning to him. "Nathan... I'm sorry. I didn't mean it." he said honestly.

"... Yeah you did. But it's fine, because it's true in a way. So I can't really be mad with you over it."

Besides. Who wants to be mad at Varian anyway?

Varian looked Nathan over, being as still as possible. "... Thank you." he said.

The tone implied it was for more than not being angry.

"... I appreciate you coming after me."

"Yeah, well. What else do I do in that class?" Nathan asked with a small smile and a shrug.

"I'd kiss you right now, but..." Varian began. But what? There was a but?

"... But?" Nathan pressed. If there was a chance to kiss Varian, he was all for it. Obstacles be damned.

"The lips are very well supplied from the circulatory system... and I couldn't deal with myself if I bit you." Varian said softly, averting his gaze.

... Well fuck...

"I see." Nathan sighed, frowning slightly.

Varian swore quietly, striding over to Nathan and lifting his chin up. "That's what willpower is for." he mumbled before leaning down, kissing Nathan tentatively. Nathan smiled slightly into the kiss before responding to it, putting a hand on Varian's waist.

Obstacles be damned indeed.

Varian let his lips linger on Nathan's for a minute before reluctantly pulling away. "I don't have that much willpower." he said. Chuckling slightly. Nathan only smiled more, leaning up to quickly kiss Varian's cheek before taking a step back and sighing.

"Now I really have to go if you're going to put your neck that close to my mouth." Varian said, turning away from Nathan slightly. "And Venerra's sick, so I have to get home and relieve Helen."

"Oh, sorry..." Nathan mumbled, not even thinking of the proximity of his neck in the least. When the second part registered to him, he frowned. Venerra was sick? He wanted to know how sick, but also didn't want to keep Varian. "I hope she feels better." he said.

"It was more of a joke than a statement, and I'll let her know." Varian replied with a smile, turning to walk back to the entrance of the school.

Nathan remained in place for a minute, nodding to himself and glancing around.

... He should probably get back to class... preferably before a teacher sees him.

Looking around a bit more, he slowly headed back to Latin, trying not to cause too much attention.

It worked until he walked into the lockers.

************************************************************************************************

Varian exited the school feeling his stomach clench in pain. Yes, he needed to feed, and kissing Nathan had indeed been a bad idea but he'd managed to control the urge to bite. Barely.

Glancing around the parking lot, he spotted some stoners sitting up against the fence surrounding the parking lot nearest to the road where he parked. Good. It'd be in his favor. Heading towards his truck he turned at the last second and put his hands in his pockets, walking with quiet ease and purpose. He needed to get their attention. Make them think he had something that they wanted.

"You sell?" a girl asked, her face pale and drawn, but she was healthy enough, and the least stoned.

"What you want?" Varian asked, making sure he looked completely uninterested in them. They knew the drill.

"I'll take a hit...of you," she crooned, getting up and sultrily walking towards him. Varian watched her hips sway, and noticed how she hunched her shoulders just enough so that her chest stuck out, her cleavage highly visible. Great. She was a slut.

"You don't know what you're asking for," he said grinning slyly, making her think he was game.

"Don't I?" she asked, pressing herself against him and trailing a finger down his neck and across his collar bone, tracing the V-neck of his shirt and down his chest. "I know I want you. You look experienced with sinking yourself in. I'm into that."

Varian consciously told himself not to turn away from her, repulsed and instead drew her closer, pressing her against him. She smiled and leaned closer, her lips parting slightly as she expected a kiss. Varian waited until her lips were less than a breath's length away until he ducked his head sank his fangs into her neck. Instantly he felt the hollow fangs fill with the powerful endorphins that were quickly injected into her bloodstream. She moaned, leaning into his bite, and Varian closed his eyes, drawing the slightly thick liquid into his mouth and swallowing, feeling it's warmth spread through him.

It felt good to feel its nourishment. His stomach readily received the blood and his sensed quickly returned to him. Pulling back, he removed his fangs and watched two twin beads of blood bubble where his needle-like fangs had been, and then they two disappeared as her flesh healed.

Letting her go, Varian walked to his truck and got in, feeling completely satisfied. Inserting the key, Varian started up his truck and drove off, heading home.

***********************************************

Pulling into his driveway, Varian turned off the ignition and got out, practically sprinting into the house where Helen was tending Venerra.

"How is she?" he asked, setting his bag down and falling to his knees to touch Venerra's cheek, searching her face earnestly.

"She stopped throwing up a couple hours ago. I gave her a lukewarm bath and her fever broke. She just needs some rest now," Helen said.

"Thank you Helen."

"Not a problem," she replied gathering her things up. "Now don't you fret over her too much. She's going to be fine. It's flu season."

Varian nodded and got up and sat on the edge of the couch, content with watching Venerra sleep. He didn't pay attention when Helen left, his focus was completely on Venerra. She slept soundlessly, her tiny chest rising and falling with each breath she took.

After a while she finally stirred. "Varian?" she asked, her eyes fluttering open.

"I'm here," he said, taking her hand.

"You fed?" she asked, slowly sitting up.

Varian reached over and pulled her auburn curls out of her face. "Nathan says he hopes you get better."

Venerra smiled and closed her eyes. "Tired..." she whispered.

Varian helped her lie back down and bent over, kissing her forehead. "I love you Venerra."

When he was certain she was asleep, Varian got up and went outside into the shed, putting on his apron and grabbing his paints. He had plenty of birdhouses to do before he'd be heading back, but he couldn't shake an uneasy feeling settling in the pit of his stomach. Like he'd forgotten something.

***************************************************************************************************

Nathan had just reached his car when he felt a hand on his arm, causing him to turn his head and see Andrea smiling. "Got a minute?" she asked.

"Thirty of them actually."

"Cool, I wanna talk to you. Come with me though, I left something in my last class." she said, walking back toward the school's entrance. Sighing quietly to himself, Nathan took a minute before following. She couldn't have just texted him?

As they got closer to the class, Nathan got more and more suspicious. The halls were eerily empty, especially for a Monday afternoon, and the sound of Andrea opening the class door echoed all around them. "Come on, it'll only take a second." she said.

Nathan followed against his better judgement, but he didn't want to stay in the hall. It bothered him when it was so silent. He watched Andrea go over to a desk for a minute before turning to glance at the clock, leaning back against a nearby desk.

The sudden feeling of something against his wrist made him whip around to see Andrea, only this time using something to tie his hands to the desk he had been leaning on. "Um... What's going on?"

"This is so you can't run away on me." she mumbled back before standing straight and coming around in front of him, putting her hands on her hips. "Now, you're going to sit there and listen to me."

"... Sure. Why not." Nathan murmured, letting Andrea continue whatever it was she had planned in her head. He didn't have to be at work for another hour anyway.

"... I like you, Nate. As more than a friend. And I've been trying to show that all year, but you just don't seem to get it. But now that it's the end of our senior year, I decided to take action."

This was her idea of 'taking action'? Tying him up to a desk?

"So, Nathan, I'm gonna do something a little out of my element."

Nathan tried not to smile at the word 'element'. Mostly because all that came to mind was Varian. And then making our with Varian. Which wasn't a good image when listening to Andrea.

He didn't have much more time to think about that before he suddenly felt a pair of lips pressed against his own, making him freeze.

Andrea was kissing him...

... Fuck...

**********************************************************************************************

Varian unloaded the boxes out of the back of his truck filled with birdhouses. After having just fed, he felt good. Better than good.

Carrying both of them inside the back hallway quickly, Varian set them down neatly in the cleaned out storage room and decided to head back home. He didn't like leaving Venerra home alone, but that nagging feeling was back. Only worse.

Pausing outside of the driver's side door with his hand on the metal handle, he furrowed his brow in thought. Had he forgotten something? He'd grabbed his backpack and it had the books he needed. It had felt slightly lighter though.

Frowning, he looked up and glanced around, hoping something would trigger his memory. What was going on? Why was he feeling this nagging sensation in the pit of his stomach?

Then it clicked. "My Marine Biology textbook! I need it to study!" he said to himself, mentally slapping himself. He'd completely forgotten about his test.

Getting in his truck, Varian started it and quickly headed towards the school.

************************************************

The nagging feeling got more insistent as he neared the parking lot. Thankfully school hadn't gotten out that long ago. Pulling into a nearby parking spot, Varian cut the ignition and jumped out of his truck, sprinting back into the school.

He ignored everything around him as he raced for his locker. He rarely used it but had to today because of the sheer amount of work he'd been given. The halls were desolate as he opened his locker and withdrew his book. Shutting it carefully, Varian froze at the sound of voices.

Silently he edged closer to where they were coming from. They appeared to be coming from an empty classroom. Shutting out every other sensory input, he listened, and made out the distinctions of the voices.

"...I like you, Nate. As more than a friend. And I've been trying to show that all year, but you just don't seem to get it. But now that it's the end of our senior year, I decided to take action."

Nate?

Varian frowned. Nathan? But why would Nathan be here after school? And with Andrea? Something definitely didn't feel right. He could feel uneasiness settling in his stomach like a thick black snake wrapping its scaly hide into a pile of coils, waiting for the moment to strike.

"...So, Nathan, I'm gonna do something a little out of my element."

Varian couldn't bear to sit back and listen. He silently slunk up to the outside of the door and peered inside, keeping hidden. Nathan was in there. With Andrea. And his hands were tied to a desk.

And then she kissed him, and Varian saw Nathan's expression. Shock.

Anger raged within Varian, strong and violent, and there was nothing better that he'd like to do than strangle Andrea. How dare she kiss his boyfriend?!

Instinctively Varian channeled his anger into the most natural thing he could. And this classroom had plants with real dirt. Perfect.

Focusing on the dirt, he directed his intentions to it and immediately felt it respond with eagerness, the particles practically singing with anticipation. Pulling away from the plants, the dirt darted over and wrapped around Andrea's wrists and ankles tightly.

"Back," Varian instructed the dirt, and it obliged, yanking Andrea back until she struck the wall, hard enough to stun momentarily, but not hard enough to injure. He was in control, not the element.

And now it was time to show himself.

*********************************************************************************************

Nathan could feel Andrea being pulled away from him, but didn't notice why until she had hit the wall opposite of him, noticing the dirt wrapped around her arms and legs.

Oh fuck. Now she was gonna get it.

"What the hell?" Andrea yelled, pulling her arms closer to her, but the dirt didn't give.

Varian chose that moment to walk in with a textbook that Nathan couldn't see the name of, setting it on the desk closest to him before leaning against the door frame and crossing his arms over his chest, almost looking bored. He glanced around in Nathan's direction before turning back to Andrea, giving her the harshest glare Nathan had seen.

"Some people don't appreciate it when slutty girls such as yourself throw themselves at their boyfriend." Varian said, his tone seeming full of aggression, but sounding calm and even.

Holy shit, Varian said boyfriend. Nathan was momentarily elated by the statement until he remembered what had gotten him there...

"Be happy I'm not doing anything worse to you. Because I most definitely can." Varian said the last part while narrowing his eyes, and Andrea was taken from the wall ad se was suspended easily a foot into the air. "Any objections?"

As it was Andrea looked scared shitless, and while Nathan wanted to make sure she didn't try that again anytime soon, he didn't want her to be scarred for life either.

"... I think she gets it, Varian." Nathan mumbled.

Varian nodded, putting Andrea gently on the floor before making the dirt go back into the pots. Andrea stood shakily for a second before leaning against the wall, glancing between Varian and Nathan. "... What the fuck was that?"

"I'll explain later." Nathan responded before Varian got a chance to, trying to slip his hands out of whatever Andrea had used to tie them. Felt like rope. Where the hell did she get rope?

Varian looked at Andre with yet snotty murderous expression, making Nathan cringe slightly. Why was Varian so scary today?

"Leave. Now." he said calmly, but Andrea wasn't fooled by it. She all but ran out of the class, slamming the door shut behind her. Nathan stared at it momentarily before trying the rope again, finding that it wasn't giving in the least. Leaning his head back and sighing, he stayed quiet for a minute before deciding he'd be better off just asking for help. "... A little help over here?"

Varian gave Nathan a smirk, leaning his head back against the door frame. "I'm afraid Bondage isn't really my thing..."

... Bondage? Oh... Yeah... He was tied up... Bondage hadn't even registered in Nathan's own mind. Though, now that he thought of it... It wasn't an entirely unwelcome image...

Shit... Bad thoughts...

Varian pushed himself off the frame, putting his hands into his pockets and walking up slowly. "But I might just make an exception... Ropes and desks are quite trendy now, I hear." he added, walking around behind Nathan and leaning close so that Nathan could feel his breath on his cheek, making him bite his tongue roughly. Nathan heard a snap moments later, realizing his hands were now free.

He stayed still for a minute though before bringing his hands in front of him, rubbing at his red wrists. "N-Not funny... What are you doing here anyway?"

He was actually curious to know why Varian was there. He was supposed to be at the farm watching Venerra.

Varian grabbed a desk, turning it around and falling into the seat, his elbow on the desk and chin in hand. "I forgot my Marine Biology book," he said, pointing to where he'd left it on the other desk, "And I couldn't shake this awful nagging feeling that I needed to be here." he added, putting both palms flat on the desk now.

Nathan snorted, leaning on the desk he had been tied to. "Yeah, to save me from being raped or something..." he murmured, not meaning to make it loud enough for Varian to hear. Perhaps it would have been best to keep that comment in his head.. Well... Too late now...

Varian chuckled, looking Nathan over. "That wouldn't be fair, now would it? I go through all of the trouble to follow my gut instincts and she'd have you first?"

Nathan could feel his face heating up, looking down and crossing his arms over his chest. What was wrong with Varian? Since when was he so... Forward? It was sort of freaking Nathan out.

... It also kind of made him want to kiss the living-hell out of Varian too.

Maybe he was drugged... No, Varian's not stupid enough to be drugged. Drunk? Did Vampires get drunk? He didn't look drunk... Whatever the reason, Nathan was glad he only had to sit through less than half an hour of it.

"Now that's a color I haven't seen before. Judging by your expression... Embarrassed?" Varian asked, taking out the mirror he always kept with him. Nathan snatched it, holding it up to see that his eye color had gone from... Whatever it had been previously, to a pinkish, purple color. Magenta? Maybe?

He held the mirror back out when he was finished looking. "Don't you have something else to do? Like take care of a sick seven year-old?" he asked. Not that he didn't enjoy Varian's company, but he was a bit much for him today...

Varian took the mirror and put it back before responding. "Technically no. I didn't get the chance to tell you earlier what she had. She got the stomach flu, fever and all. But she's well now, just needs sleep." he pause to grin at Nathan, "So I can spend all my free time with you as I please. Plus, you have work and so do I. So you aren't getting rid of me anytime soon." he paused again, this time looking around the class room. "I'm not mad at you, you know. I made sure I saw everything before I acted. I didn't want it to turn out like some stupid movie cliche."

Nathan sighed for a minute before looking back up, raising an eyebrow at Varian. "Good. Because if you were mad at me, I'd have to slap you. And do me a favor, if you don't plan on leaving."

"I don't think slapping me would work very well. It would most definitely have the opposite effect of the desired result." Varian began with a small smirk. "My body doesn't register pain the same way yours does. If it's physical, it's converted to pleasure. But if it's emotional... That's a different subject." he paused, looking thoughtful. "And the favor is?"

"... Tone down a little on the sexual stuff. Before I jump you. Or throw something at you." Nathan responded with an uninterested expression.

"Blame the plants; they're germinating." Varian said with a small laugh, before curiously asking: "Which object?"

Okay, Nathan decided Varian was in way too good of a mood. There would definitely be kissing of some kind in order today. After he was calmed down. And Nathan was sure he was doing some things just to irritate him.

"The fucking desk." Nathan responded seriously.

Varian looked like he was actually considering Nathan's threat, which made him frown slightly. Finally Varian shrugged, sighing. "Up to you. Did you need anything else?"

"... Not at the moment."

"Alright then. You're welcome." Varian said, getting up and grabbing his textbook to head for the door. At the last minute he dropped the book on the desk again, turning back to Nathan. "Are you going to kiss me or not?" he asked, his expression conveying as much seriousness as possible.

Nathan smiled slightly at the change in attitude. "Well if you want me to, then I suggest you come here."

Varian walked over obediently, pausing inches away as a sly smile crept onto his face. "Now who's the one using sexual overtones?"

"Shut up before I slap you." Nathan warned, wrapping an arm around Varian's neck in order to pull him closer, pressing their lips together softly.

Varian closed his eyes, eagerly kissing back as he tilted his head for better access, running a hand through Nathan's hair. Nathan's other hand came up, resting on Varian's waist for a second before traveling up his side and back down, doing the same thing several times. Nathan finally pulled away, smiling widely. Varian stared back with a confused expression. "... What?" he asked.

"... I like kissing you. But I have to go to work." Nathan mumbled, his smile falling slightly. Maybe he could skip work today... No... Because Varian still had work... And he doubted Varian would call out.

Still...

"Then just kiss me at work. You did before." Varian said, pulling away slightly.

"I don't think Millie would be too happy if I did it a second time... I could always call out sick..." Nathan suggested.

"I don't think she'd like that. However, you might just be able to get away with the kissing if you suggest to her how to make a bigger source of income."

"I knew being sick was a long shot...oh well.... But I can try...I guess...oh, woman's the devil..." Nathan sighed, mumbling the last part, though besiege know why. Varian heard it anyway, and laughed before pulling away from Nathan entirely.

"We've both got to go now," he said. Nathan sighed again.

This should be an interesting conversation with the two of them...

***************************************************************************************************

As much as Varian wanted to stay and tease Nathan some more, he had to get to work just like Nathan did. He knew there wasn't really a way that Millie would allow such conduct to be done, especially in front of customers that might not appreciate free love.

Picking up his book, Varian waved goodbye to Nathan before sprinting down the halls toward his truck. Exiting the school, he quickly crossed the short span of parking lot and slipped into the driver's side of the truck.

Pulling on his seat belt, he sat back in the seat thinking over what had just happened. Some instinct told him to come to school, and even though he needed his book, it was still a little unsettling. How could his body know something he didn't?

Shaking his head, he leaned forward and put the keys into the ignition, turning until the engine caught and purred to life. He'd have to ponder that a little later.

It wasn't until he was driving up the road that the memory of the plants surfaced. Feeling testy already, he'd rashly used the soil from the plants before testing the levels of plant hormones in it. The result? Sexual innuendos off the charts. Bondage? The extreme forwardness implying that he wanted to take his relationship with Nathan a little further?

"Oh God..." Varian said to himself, running his hand over his face. All this time with Nathan and he'd never expressed such...horniness, and then to go and say all of those things in one fell swoop? What in the world was he thinking? The pure look of astonishment on Nathan's face, not to mention the confusion said it all. He was not expecting him to say all those things.

But it was Nathan's fault too. Not for the getting tied up part, but for having that expression that told Varian he was torn between wanting to kiss him, or just push him down and do naughty things.

Varian bit his lower lip. Sooner or later this was all going to blow up in his face. He'd be forced to choose, and Varian knew that he physically couldn't make the choice. He could kiss and touch, and he liked being kissed and touched, but it wouldn't matter what he did, he was as good as impotent. Too much pain from his past was tied to his sexuality. Almost the exact words from the many doctors.

"He's going to find out eventually..."

Varian didn't want to face that day, but he knew if he didn't tell Nathan, Nathan would think he was lying to him, and there went any chance at their relationship. "I'll tell him. As soon as I can," Varian whispered, pulling into Vogel's Tack and Tools. "I have to," he sighed.

*****************************************************************************************

Nathan walked slowly to his car in the parking lot, sighing as he unlocked it.

It had been an... Interesting day, to say the least. And he still had work. And to go back home on top of that.

Hopefully Millie would like Varian's idea for the storage room. Nathan personally thought it sounded pretty good, but Millie rarely went with what Nathan wanted. He'd just tell her it was all Varian.

Varian... He was rather... Odd. Not that Nathan particularly minded it. He just wasn't used to people saying things like that to him.

He also thought about school. Thanks to Varian's sickness, his grades had fallen. Not drastically, but enough to irritate him. He'd have to work on that.

Plus there were college applications. He was fairly sure he wanted to go to medical school. He enjoyed helping others.

"Dr. Vogel..." he murmured to himself, then smiled slightly at how odd it sounded. Shaking his head slightly, he parked the car in the parking lot of Millie's store, slowly getting out. He wasn't looking forward to having this conversation with her.

Walking inside the store, the first thing he noticed was Varian lifting several boxes, stacking or taking them down. Nathan wasn't sure why, but he wast going to comment on it.

Millie was at the register, and glanced to Nathan. He mentally prepared himself before walking over to her.

"Boy I don't pay you to stand around. Go do something." she said. Nathan bit his tongue slightly before shrugging.

"Actually, Millie, I was thinking..."

"Lord help us all."

Nathan glared slightly, crossing his arms over his chest. "Well fine then, if you don't want an idea to increase money."

Millie pause and glance up at him. "Alright, out with it then."

"Well, I was thinking that maybe you could open up the storage room in the back for people to shop in so you could have more room to sell more stuff and make more money and it was Varian's idea!" Nathan said quickly, looking down at his feet as he stopped talking. Millie remained quiet for a minute before humming.

"... That's not a bad idea, actually. It would increase sales, and profit, and we could buy more things for the store..." she said thoughtfully. Nathan glanced up, raising an eyebrow.

"Not bad, boy. I'll think about it." Millie responded, nodding to him slightly before going back to the customers at hand. Nathan stood still momentarily before smiling to himself and heading for the storage room.

Maybe his Aunt wasn't such a bad boss.

"This doesn't mean you're getting payed more though." Millie suddenly yelled. Nathan's smile dropped.

Nope. He was wrong. She sucked.

Sighing and slipping the apron on, Nathan thought about the conversation. Millie had seemed to be interested in it, at least. That was good.

Going back out of the storage room, Nathan glanced around. There didn't really seem to be anything to do. Millie was at the register, and Varian was moving boxes. Nathan settled for just watching Varian, occasionally looking around to try and make it seem a little less creepy to other people.

Varian looked nice, with his hair cut. Very nice. Nathan liked his hair longer though. He was more use to it.

Tilting his head slightly, he looked Varian over. You would have never known he had almost died.

Nathan still wasn't completely over that. It bothered him slightly, even though he knew Varian was perfectly fine. There was no chance of it happening again. But Nathan did occasionally have 'what if' moments. Not that they were the best.

Shaking his head slightly to himself, he sighed. He knew it wouldn't happen again. Varian had promised. And Varian didn't seem like the type to break a promise.

He hoped.

*************************************************************************************************

Varian knew Nathan was watching him. He could feel his eyes boring into his flesh. It felt good, knowing somebody cared about him other than a brotherly or hate-filled way. It also felt nice to be able to call somebody that genuinely cared about him his boyfriend.

If Nathan didn't care, there was no way he'd have gone through the trouble to help him. He'd even donated blood for him. He detested needles with a passion.

But if it was his blood that saved him, then was that the warmth that he'd felt upon returning to consciousness?

Setting down the last box, he stood upright and pulled some stray hairs out of his face. Nathan's blood did amazing things to his body. He remembered with perfect clarity how good it felt flowing through his veins and filling his stomach. He wished he could have that feeling again, but never would he draw blood from Nathan if he didn't want him to. Never.

Just thinking about biting him against his will sent chills through him that made his stomach wrench. It didn't help any that he was hungry again. He never seemed to get enough food anymore. And thinking about biting Nathan...it had the hollow endorphin filled sacs running the inside of his mouth to his needle-like fangs pulsing.

Mentally slapping himself, he looked around the store for something else to do. Luckily Millie had that "something else to do" thing answered. She strolled on up to him with a slight glare, her hands on her hips.

Resisting the urge to shrink back away from the imposing woman, Varian cleared his throat and met her glare with an easy smile. "Good afternoon Millie. Do you need anything else?"

"Don't you 'Good Afternoon' me, boy. Where in the hell were you?"

"Which day?" Varian asked, nervous.

"Maybe the whole damn week you weren't here. Apparently I'm not important enough to be given information. And then out of nowhere that little moron over there practically jumps you!" She replied angrily.

Varian bit his lower lip. "I can't legally give you the information you seek, but I can tell you I was sick. I'm sorry."

"Legally? Fine. How sick?"

Now Varian wasn't sure how to continue. He decided the truth was best. "If Nathan hadn't helped, I wouldn't be here right now."

Millie snorted at the mentioning of Nathan. "Little nitwit..." Then she paused and though for a moment. "... You and him... what exactly is going on with you two?"

Varian hesitated. He didn't know how much information to reveal. If Nathan didn't want people to know they were dating.... Sighing, he met her gaze. "Um...I'm not sure how much he wants me to say...." he paused. He was very quickly stepping into uncharted territory, and Millie was the enemy waiting to strike as he stepped completely past the line. Summing up the courage, Varian decided to just say it and say it proud. "He's my boyfriend. If you have a problem with us dating, I will resign my position at your request. I don't want trouble," he said, saying the last part kindly. He really didn't want trouble.

Millie stared at Varian before glancing between him and Nathan, eventually settling her gaze on his. "... Why in the hell would you want to date that idiot? I have no problem with whoever you choose to date, remember that, but... Nathan? Really?"

"He's not an idiot, he's just having a tough time. He's actually quite intelligent. And there's something about him that draws me to him. I can't be apart from him for very long."

"... That happened with the other one, didn't it? Grant, if I remember correctly?" She asked.

Varian stiffened. How did she...? "I...don't remember telling you that...how do you know about Grant? And no, well, yes, but no. Grant was a selfish pedophile who up and left me for some woman after he-" Varian broke off, the memories still fresh enough to sting. Blinking away the tears beginning to build, he averted his gaze. "It doesn't matter. Nathan's pull feels different. It isn't charged with negative energy, it's calm and peaceful."

"Honey, I know all sorts of things I'd be better off without. I don't exactly know the specifics concerning Grant, but I do know about him," Millie said softly before looking over at Nathan once again. "Does he know? About the pull, I mean."

"He knows. I could never keep something away from him. If he has questions I'll answer them, even if it means I have to hurt by going back to my past," Varian replied, turning to see Millie again.

She looked away from Nathan and smiled, meeting his gaze. "That's good though. You're willing to go out of your comfort zone for him. Boy may not know it, but he's lucky."

"I feel lucky to have him too," Varian whispered loud enough for Millie to hear, before a thought struck him. "You hired him here. You're out of your comfort zone with him as well. Why go through the trouble of hiring your nephew if you know it means you'll have to give up partial control of your store?"

"I'm fine with giving up partial control. He doesn't try to do much anyway, except break the damn register. But, I will confess that I do have an ulterior motive," Millie responded casually.

Now Varian's interest was piqued. "And that motive is?"

"You'll have to wait and see. I don't want to bring it up if he doesn't. I will say though that it has to do with certain family members."

Certain family members? "You mean his mother? She's withheld a lot of information about what he is from him," Varian said without thinking. Clamping a hand over his mouth, he searched Millie's face to see if he'd made an impact. "That wasn't supposed to come out."

Millie arched an eyebrow. "I'm well aware of what my sister has done. Like I said- you'll see what I mean eventually," she said before walking away, leaving him standing there.

Varian stared back, confused. What? Did Millie know something Nathan didn't? He'd definitely bring it up to Nathan when they were alone.

**********************************************************************************************

Before Nathan knew it, he was done with work. He hadn't even really done anything. Not that he was really complaining, because it would suck to do work and then go home to Elle. He was fairly sure she would try to act like nothing happened, but he wasn't having it.

Leaving the store and heading to the parking lot for his car, Nathan sighed. On the way home he'd just go and get some more shampoo, hopefully to stall. Maybe when he got home Elle would be asleep.

Walking into the store (he hadn't noticed the name of it) Nathan walked down to where the hair care aisle was. He hated buying things like this, but he needed it. He glanced up and down the aisle before noticing a bottle that sort of caught his eye. Tropical Coconut? Nathan didn't really like coconut... But the bottle looked nice...

Rolling his eyes, he grabbed it, going up to the register. He didn't give a shit what it smelled like; as long as his hair was clean.

The drive back home seemed to pass much faster than it usually did, making Nathan shrink down slightly as he pulled into the driveway and noticed the living room light still on.

Fuck.

After sitting in silence for a moment, he got out of the car, slowly making his way up to the front door and unlocking it.

To his luck, it was only Eric in the living room. Nathan barely stopped himself from sighing in relief, instead choosing to nod. Eric only stared back for a while before looking back down to his book, pushing his glasses up a bit on his nose.

Nathan was about to go up to his room when Eric's voice sounded, making him jump slightly.

"How was work?"

"... It was okay." Nathan mumbled. Eric nodded, glancing up to him and raising an eyebrow.

"You told your mom you were Mortal."

Nathan's face went white, and he only stared back before stuttering out a response "W-Well yeah, I-I-I did..."

"Not the smartest idea, Nathan. Try not to bring the subject up again."

He only stared at the man on the couch, taking a minute before slowly nodding, more to himself than Eric and then going up to his room. People didn't really know it, but Eric was scary when he was angry or drunk. Fortunately he rarely did either of the two. But Nathan was aware that his father was a bit of a touchy subject for the whole family.

Getting some clothes together, Nathan took his new shampoo and went to get a shower, letting the water get as hot as his body could handle before stepping into it.

He had just finished scrubbing his hair when the scent of coconut hit him, making him scrunch up his nose. Definitely not one of his favorite scents.

***************************************************************************************************

Venerra woke up to the sound of Varian getting home and walking into the living room where she had been sleeping.

"Varian?" she asked, yawning.

He walked around the couch and knelt down on the floor so he was more on her level. "Do you need something Venerra?"

Venerra studied his face for a moment. Seeing how happy he looked. "No...I just wanted to say goodnight."

He smiled, and very carefully scooped her up from the couch cushions, holding her gently to his chest, resting his chin on the top of her head like he did so often. Venerra closed her eyes, taking comfort in the familiar action.

"You're going to sleep with me tonight."

"Okay," Venerra whispered, letting her heavy eyelids droop and snuggled into his chest, enjoying his warmth. She let herself drift off, and fell asleep in Varian's arms, safe and warm.
♠ ♠ ♠
I feel like Millie's turning into one of those creepy, omniscient people...