Status: Hey, critisism is wanted and tell me what you think, new to the site but not to writing so a bit of sheparding would be appreciated ahaha thanks

Flash of the Blade

Respect for Amber

Mom sat down me down on the couch with a slab of meat and the TV remote.
"Stay here and down take that steak off yer face ya got it. Thats also yer dinner."
I shook my head.
"Mmmm can't wait."
I flicked on the TV and began to rot my brian with hours of meaningless reality shows until four twenty rolled around. Amber walked through the door, her blond hair in a haigh pony tail, her ringlets gone. I smirked at her when she dropped her backpack by the couch.
"How did ya straighten yer hair?"

She stuck her tongue out at me.
"I used yer straightener. Mom said I could."
I glared at her.
"Don't touch my stuff Amber, and why are you straightenin yer hair in the first place? Ya tryin ta look like Kaytlyn?"
She scowled and walked away muttering,
"Ya look like shit,"
smacking her leg as she passed I turned back to the TV. The microwave whirred in the other room and in a few minutes three bags of popcorn fell onto my lap and Amber settled into the couch next to me, taking the remote and flipping the channel to a movie. I tore open a bag and handed it to her.
"What are we watchin?"
"It's called unleashed, some hot asain guy named Jet Li is starring in it."
"Didn't know ya liked asains Amber."
"Shaddup and put that steak back on yer face, its making me sick lookin at ya."
I shoved her before slapping the meat back over my eye and settling into the couch to watch the movie.
It actually turned out to be a pretty fantastic film, and just to annoy Amber I covered her eyes when ever it got steamy of gory... which was alot.
She would claw at my hand and screech,
"Mariano! Stop it!"
I'd laugh as her eyes would glue back to the TV, devouring the movie hungrily, she would try and keep out of my reach and ended up hugging the armrest before it ended.

We ate dinner an hour after Unleashed ended, mom made grilled fish with macaroni; a surprisingly good combination. In the middle of dinner the phone rang in the hallway, mom put her napkin on the table and rose to answer the phone.
"Hello, oh, hi..."
I put put my fork down and strained my ears to listen, mom's voice had changed, it was now tired and tense.
"Mhmm, yeah well ya see my jobaren't going too well-"
She walked away quickly, dropping her voice almost to a whisper, Amber sighed and wiped her mouth before addressing me.
"When can I get a job?"
I eyed her around my fork.
"Ah, well ya turned fourteen last month so... soon, why ya askin?"
She shrugged, trying to nonchalance.
"No reason, I just think mom needs more money coming in. She works three jobs and you've got got two of em yerself, I want ta help too."
I shook my head and shoveled more food in my mouth.
"Don't you worry 'boutit Amber, we're doin better."
She snorted.
"I know those checks from Mike aren't comin in anymore, Im not a kid anymore I don''t think dad's coming back or that he even cares for us. Don't think I'm stupid Mar, I'm not oblivious. We need more money or we don't keep the house, simple as that."
I gazed at her and felt my respect for my baby sister grow, she was excepting the situation better than I thought.
"If yer sure ya really want a job, I'll drive ya to Publix tomorrow fer an appplication."
She nodded, determination etched in her face. Mom didn't come back to dinner that night, and the house remained silent.