Status: working

Megalomaniac

Pyromaniac

Summer had been coming to a close, and still there was not a day hot enough for the people of Milbodie Street. The home owners spent spent their time that wasn't occupied by work, held by the flicking of the winter fires of mid-August. To many of those who had lived their entire time of life, this was nothing new. Many coming back from holidays were in shock at the cold New England weather, most of them thought all places would be like the tropical islands they had visited.
I was here the whole time. Trapped in my room by my own mother and father. As much as I tried to fix that, nothing work. I couldn't even sneak out because I was on the second floor (one way down, and no way up).
"Emily?" My mother mouse of a voice called me from the other side of the bolted door. "Sweetheart, there's someone here to see you."
I doubt that, I thought. No one has come to see me since the last week of school. Not since I became something other than human. What am I? I have a good guess, but that's all it is, just a guess.
"Emma?"
I didn't even look at her. I couldn't look at her. She damned me to my room, barred the windows and locked the door. I was prisoner, a shame to the family. Hidden from everything cause my family feared what everyone would think. Months I've been here. Only allowed out at the dead of night, because my sister snags the key. Yet then, it's only for a little time.
"It's fine Mrs. Cambria, I can take it from here."
"Are you sure? I mean, you don't know what she can do," She was whispering, thinking I wouldn't listen to her.
"I've dealt with ones far less in control than your daughter." He smiled at her. A man in a three piece suit was able to convince my mother to let me alone with him, a stranger to me.
Once the door shut, yet didn't lock, he started speaking.
"I don't think you are a freak,"
I fixed my cap, my new way of letting my hair fall in my face. My hair hasn't grown in a month, on any part of me.
"Most girls with your ability are completely covered with it. They can't stop it. All those girls sit in pools of water trying to stop it, yet water hurts more, doesn't it Emma?"
My eyes were on fire. Burning contently, never going away when I close them, or even cry. No, he was right. Water only makes it worse. Rage the fire to burn harder t protect us from it. The fire doesn't know that its causing more pain than anything that could hurt us. The fire keeps us closed off and unable to touch or feel.
"Emma, I'm here to help you. Just let me take you away where you are safe-"
"I'm safe here. With my family. In my own room. A place I know with people I know. What make you think a stranger like yourself can change that?"
"Because the longer you stay here the more danger you put them in."
No. Never. I couldn't put my family in danger. Not locked in this room like animal. Mom sure as hell made sure of that. I'm safe here. What does this man know about what I can do. Does he even care that at any second I can explode and wipe out this whole block if I wanted. No he does not.
"You can't keep hiding in here. One day the fire wi-"
"What do you know about what I can and can't do? You didn't see what happened. You have no idea what I can do." There it was in my belly. Burn harder as my rage rose higher. It was taking over. I was losing control.
"Emma calm-"
"Calm? A man just walked into my house, straight to my room to take me away. Away from everything I know and love. You expect me to be calm after all that has happened?"
My hands were at my temples. My head was heavy and pounding. The fire was spreading around me. Leave, I tried to tell him. Get out before it takes over completely.
But I didn't need to tell him. He knew. He walked towards me. Stood before me.
There was a pain, a burning, and soon my body was numb. Soon I hit the floor.