Status: Completed

The Pieces of My Heart

Count the Steps

The day and night flew by too quickly for Ava. When she woke up, she wanted to roll over and cry herself back to sleep like she did the night before. Forcing a few deep breaths, Ava stood up and got ready to go to the airport. Staring at her reflection in the mirror, she tried to steady herself. Calm down, it's just college. He's coming back for Christmas. It's not like you'll never see him again...right?she questioned. Yes, of course you will. Stop being stupid, Ava Grace. Taking one final deep breath, Ava grabbed her cellphone and walked out her front door, unlocking her car.

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*

Pulling up to the airport, Ava called Chase.

Hello? Chase sounded nervous, excited, and sad all at once.

"Chase, it's me. I just pulled up. Where are you?" Ava asked, hugging her stomach as she got out of the car and headed inside the terminal.

We're in the cafe upstairs. You can't miss us, he replied as he headed towards the stairs to meet her.

"I see you," Ava responded, spotting her boyfriend at the top of the staircase. Taking her time with climbing the steps, Ava felt knots twisting in her stomach. However, when Chase wrapped her in a tight embrace, they disappeared, if only for the moment.

"Hey," he whispered, lips slightly brushing her earlobe.

Ava felt a shiver run through her whole body at the touch. "Hi."

Chase pulled back and gently touched his lips to hers. Ava leaned into the kiss, funneling all her emotions so Chase would feel what she felt: love, adoration, fear. Pulling back, Chase rested his forehead against hers. Shakily, Ava whispered, "How long?"

"Twenty minutes," Chase replied, sighing. Grabbing his hand, Ava walked with him over to his family.

"Good morning, Mr. and Mrs. Felder," Ava said politely. Chase's parents said their own good mornings and the four sat in silence, waiting for the intercom to call for Chase's flight. Chase was in the process of massaging Ava's knee when the intercom buzzed on.

"All passengers in Zone 2 on flight number 1646 should report to Gate 13 for boarding. Thank you."

Standing up, Chase hugged his parents and kissed his sobbing mother's cheek. Taking a deep breath, he turned to Ava, tears in his eyes. Ava's bad feeling from the night before came back as he hugged her tightly and said, "No matter what happens, please remember that I love you. With all my heart. Always remember that." Tears building in her eyes, Ava hugged Chase fiercely and kissed his lips for the last time.

"And I love you. Always. Remember that if nothing else."

Breaking away, Chase grabbed his backpack, said goodbye to his parents one last time, and walked away, sparing one last look at Ava. Watching him walk away, Ava counted the steps he took until he was out of sight. Walking to her car, Ava replayed the number 62 over and over in her head. Reading the inscription inside her ring, she finally let the first tears fall. We'll make it. We have to. I need you.

When you're gone
The pieces of my heart are missing you
And when you're gone
The face I came to know is missing too

And when you're gone
All the words I need to hear will always get me through
The day and make it ok
I miss you
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the last chapter! I don't know if my idea at the last part of this came through though. She thought about how much she needed him when she cried, coming from the song. :) Comment please! :) it makes my dayyyyyy!