Status: Working on it slowly;No silent readers please

Unforgiving Pain

In Which A Unlikely Figure Appears

"So you've decided to join the living I see," a smirking voice said. I snapped my head in the direction the voice was coming from. That was not Jade's voice. I blinked my eyes in surprise. Where did he come from? My eyes burned from the hot liquidly tears threatening to brink over my eye lids. You’re being stupid. Stupid, stupid, stupid, do not cry What did he think he was doing here now, after what happened that year. Ever since that day so far long ago..


"Ephie?" Said a voice from behind, "Ephie, you silly thing, what on earth are you doing way up here all by yourself?" I turned my tear streaked face towards Rhet. My eyes widened in terror.
Oh no.
Oh
Nooo.
This can't be happening. Not him to. I had to get away from him before I did something I would regret later. I just wanted to be left alone with the pain.
All the pain.
All my misery.
What did he possibly think he could do or say to make the pain go away?

Nothing.

That’s what. I stared at him in my grief. What could I say? How can you explain something like this to an outsider? Especially since that outsider just had to be him. I decided to turn on my heel and stalked steadily away from him hoping he wouldn't follow. I wasn't so lucky. I could hear his quiet footfalls as he pursued me down the side of the roof's edge.

"Ephie, stop, just talk to me," he called out through ragged breaths, "Why do you keep running away from me?" I knew the answer. I knew the answer perfectly well.

I was
dangerous.

Couldn't he see that? I'm not safe to be around other humans. At least not until I learn how to control the being inside myself. Not until I know I'm stable enough to be around civilization. If I hurt someone.
Anyone for that matter. I don't know how I would live with myself..
I was busy shaking the not so forgotten memories away when I realized that Rhet was dangerously close to me. I backed away and frowned at him.

"How dare you-you-come here!" I stuttered. He took a step towards me and said, "But, Ephie aren't you glad to see me?" He said this with an expression of mock hurt in his dark eyes. I silently cursed him.
"Get away form me" I said lamely. I started to make my way for the car that held my friend. Just when I started to reach my hand for the car door handle. I heard a sound.
He was laughing at me.
Laughing. At. Me.
My curiosity getting the better of me, I spun to face him furiously.
I asked him spitefully, "What are you even doing here?" He stopped laughing and blinked. Most likely pondering on how he could use his words into getting me to calm down or manipulate me. I smirked unpleasantly.

"Yeah," I sneered "That’s what I thought." I turned and opened the car door.
"Hey, now just wait a minute!" He called defensively from a few feet away. I pretended I hadn't heard him and I slammed the door in his face. Jade gave me a puzzled look.
"What the fuck was that all about?" She asked, I sighed.
"It’s a long ass story, just drive." Jade just shrugged and turned the key into ignition.
"Whatever you say Boss." My lips turned up at the edges a bit at that, but not for long. What was he doing there, and how did he find me? I sighed and leaned back against the leather seat. My gaze lifted up to the clouds. What I would give if I could fly, or be like Mary Poppins. Where you could just sit on a cloud all day long as you watched the world pass slowly on by. I could feel my eyelids start to lower.
I soon started to drift on the outer fringes of sleep and consciousness..


I was soon back on the rooftop with Rhet. I remember that day more clearly than any other.
"Ephie, stop, just talk to me," he huffed out through strained breaths, "Why do you keep running away from me?" I stopped and turned around and looked at him after thinking. He stopped and stared at me in return.

"Are you going to be more civilized and talk with me now?" He huffed as he put his hands on his knees. He looked up at me with that lopsided grin he knew I loved so much. Eyes twinkling darkly with a quizzical look in them. I sucked in a deep breath of air and thought for a moment.

"Only on one condition." I said finally. He straightened up slowly, a guarded look on his face.
"Oh?" he asked wearily, "And what may that be?" I stared at my feet, unsure of myself.
"You-you-must promise me...that you won't scream." I muttered with some difficulty. He stared at me in bewilderment.

"What?" He asked me incredulously. I sighed very heavily and whispered, “Just watch."Afraid of what might happen but willing to do this, I--
"Ephie, I said wake up!" Jade said irritated as she shook me to full awareness. I juddered the sleep out of my head as I rubbed my tired eyes.

"Sorry." I mumbled pathetically.
"Yeah, yeah. You're always day dreaming on me." She complained. I grinned sheepishly at her and her expression softened.
She smiled back and said, "Oh, hell with it. Come on, let’s go dance!" I smiled wide at that last part. Finally something I could look forward to! I jumped happily out of the car to absorbed in my thoughts to notice the strange figure that was stealthy following us into the academy.


“Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.”
C. S. Lewis
♠ ♠ ♠
This one is longer as you can see:)
Suggestions? Comments on this chapter?
All of them do/ go under consideration.
Thank you