Status: In Progress.

You Belong With Me

Pathetic

I was pathetic. Utterly pathetic.

I was sitting alone in my apartment in a pair of my favorite pajamas watching My Best Friend's Wedding. It was depressing me even more. I had always found the movie quite depressing to begin with. Sure, it was funny, but it still had its moments. It was sad to watch her try to win over her best friend and not succeed. I knew how she felt even though I wasn't making any attempts in trying to woo Tom over.

He had proposed to Jade a little over a week ago. It was all over the internet and magazines. There was no escaping it no matter where I went. It wouldn't be so hard to deal with if I didn't have to see it everywhere I went. That's why I opted to stay locked up in my apartment. Only going out when it was absolutely necessary like to go to work. If it weren't for that, I probably wouldn't have gone out at all. I had turned into a hermit and I didn’t like it.

I was in the middle of the movie when I heard someone knocking on my door. I chose to ignore it and continued watching the movie. No one had told me they were coming over and I was in no mood to have company. They would get the hint and leave sooner or later. The knocking continued, but stopped moments later. I smiled to myself, thinking they had gotten the hint, until I heard the door being opened and then closed.

Bloody hell.

"Oh my God."

I turned my head to find Emma staring at me with a shocked expression across her face. I must have looked as bad as I felt.

"I knew I shouldn't have given you a spare key," I said, sighing and grabbing the remote to pause the movie.

"Thank, God, you did," she said as she walked over and sat down beside of me. "Abbie, what are you doing to yourself?"

"Wallowing in my own self-pity," I said, casually.

I really was pathetic.

"That's not healthy," she said, looking closely at my TV. "Are you watching My Best Friend's Wedding?"

"Yeah..."

"You have to be kidding me, Abbie," she said, shaking her head.

"What? It's a good movie. One of Julia Roberts' best."

"You have got to snap out of this," she said, seriously. "I was starting to worry about you. I haven't heard from you in days and that's unlike you."

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. She was right. I did need to snap out of it, but it was much easier said than done.

"It's just so fuckin' hard, Emma," I said, quietly. "I could handle them being together before, but not now. Not when they're engaged now."

"I know," she said, sympathetically, "but you're the one who hasn't told him how you really feel."

She was right about that, too. Emma had told me countless times to tell Tom how I really felt about him, but I never would for many reasons. An important one being that he might not feel the same about me and, obviously, he didn't. Another one being that I didn't want to ruin our friendship. If I told him how I felt and he didn't feel the same, then that would probably change our friendship. I didn't want to lose him. I had always told myself I'd rather have him as a friend than nothing at all and that was the truth.

"You know my reasons for that. Plus, I couldn't possibly tell him now."

"And I understand that," she said, "but you can't go on like this. You can't mope forever. That's not the answer and you bloody well know it."

"I hate it when you're right," I said, groaning.

"I quite love it, myself," she said, shrugging and smiling slightly.

"Don't expect me to be chipper all at once," I said, warning her. "This will take some time. I can't possibly get over it just like that."

"I know that," she said, "but it's good that we're starting somewhere."

I nodded and leaned back more into my couch. I didn't know what I would do without Emma. Sometimes, I would think she should have been a psychiatrist instead of an actress.

"Well, now that that's settled," she said, standing up. "Get up, go take a shower, and fix up nicely."

I looked up at her, curiously.

"Why?"

"I'm taking you out that's why," she said, firmly. "You need to get out of this damn apartment and pronto."

"Can't I just stay in today and we can start the whole getting myself bett-"

"I'm not taking no for an answer, Abigail Marie Parker," she said, quickly cutting me off and glaring at me. "Besides, we must go dress shopping for Tom and Jade's party."

I had almost forgotten about that. Tom and Jade were having a party to announce their engagement, though, I think everyone in the world knew about it by now.

"I'll just wear a dress I have here," I said, shrugging. "No big deal."

I didn't feel like putting any effort into it. It wasn't like I was looking forward to it anyways.

"Nonsense, Abbie," she said. "We're both getting a new dress. My treat and you have no say so whatsoever."

"You are not-"

"Go get ready!" she said, glaring at me again.

"Yes, ma'am," I said, getting up quickly and making my way into the bathroom. It was better to do as she said.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope all of you like it. She and Him mentioned My Best Friend's Wedding in a comment and I got the idea to have Abbie watching it haha. Anyways, thank you to everyone who has read, subscribed, and commented. I really do appreciate it. Please don't hesitate to comment. It really helps to know what all of you think.