Status: WIP

When Boy Meets Boy

A Private Lesson

I'm pretty sure it's not normal for a 17 year old guy to be obsessing like a 13 year old girl. Currently, I was pacing my room, almost burning a hole into the floor. I felt like I was getting ready for a fucking date. But, I wasn't; I was getting ready to do homework! Who in their right mind gets excited to do homework? Me, apparently. I had no reason to be nervous or excited. It was just Spencer, amazing, adorable, bea-NO! I am not thinking about Spencer in that way. It just can't happen. My thoughts were interrupted by a knocking at the door. I didn't run down the stairs, I didn't take a minute to compose myself, and my heart didn't feel like it was going to explode. Slowly, I opened a door revealing a sheepish Spencer.

"Uh, hey," I said, my voice surprisingly calm.

"H-Hey," he said, a pink tinge spreading across his cheeks. "How are you?"

"Fine, thank you. Yourself?"

"Fine, thank you."

"C-Come in," I said, moving out of the way to let Spencer in. I suppressed a groan as he brushed past me, just the slightest contact. "Do you want something to drink or to eat?" I asked, closing the door.

"No thank you."

"Um, come this way, my room is upstairs." I said, leading him up the stairs. I heard his faint steps echoing mine as we walked up to my room.

One hour late, I found myself once again sitting in front of a compute screen, the cursor staring back at me-mocking me…again. I groaned, letting my head hit the desk.

"What's the problem?" Reid asked, pulling up a chair next to me.

"It's mocking me." I grumbled.

"It's a cursor, it's not mocking you. It doesn't have the capability to mock you, since it doesn-"

"It's mocking me again." I said again, cutting him off.

"How about we take a break, clear your mind?" I nodded mutely. "You play?" He asked, pointing the guitar that was in the corner of the room.

"Yea," I said sheepishly. We were both sitting on my bed at this point. Me, leaning against the wall, one leg falling carelessly off the bed, the other arched up with my arm resting on my knee. While he sat at the other side Indian style, I resisted the urge to pull him closer.

"Do ya' know any songs?"

"Um, yea, I just taught myself how to play Mr. Brightside by The Killers." He broke out into a huge grin.

"That's the one of my favorite songs!" He said excitedly.

"Mine too!"

"What else do you know?"

"Well, I do a lot of Marianas Trench and NeedToBreathe. I've always liked how their chords sounded, it always works so well their voices."

"I think I've heard of NeedToBreathe but I've never heard of the other one. Are they good?"

"Yea, they're great!"

"What type of music do you like."

"Ya' know, Indie, acoustic, Rock, Punk-ish, some Post-Hardcore, and Jazz. What about you?"

"Um, m-mostly Classical due to my m-mother. But, for the most part, I don't really pay attention to genres. Just the music."

"Oh…then what bands do you like?"

"My top 5 are: Skillet, Thrice, H.I.M., Between The Trees and Hurts."

"….I know Thrice." I said sheepishly.

"I get that a lot." We both let out a laugh, the air easy and playful between us.

"Er…do you wanna hear?" The words escape my lips before I could even think. But, I didn't regret it, the light in his eyes made it worth it.

"Yea!"

"Hand me the guitar," I requested. He leaned over the side of the bed and I felt my mouth go dry as I saw the tiniest of skin exposed. I quickly tore my gaze away looking anywhere else.

"Here," he said, handing me the guitar.

"T-Thanks." I gulped audibly, my throat suddenly bone dry. "Um..any requests?"

"Surprise me." I took a moment to think of a song, and I decided to go with the song that I knew best, that I knew like the back of my hand. I closed my eyes as I started to strum, letting the world melt away.

"And if I could swim, I'd swim out to you in the ocean,

Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.

And if I was blessed, I'd walk on the water you're breathing,

To lend you some air for that heaving, sunken chest.

'Cause they chose you as the model for their empty little dreams,

With your new head and your legs spread like a filthy magazine.

And they hunt you, and they gut you, and you give in.

And if I was brave, I'd climb up to you on the mountain,

They led you to drink from their fountain spouting lies.

And I'd slay the horrible beast they commissioned

To steer me away from my mission to your eyes.

And I'd stand there, like a soldier, with my foot upon his chest,

With my grin spread, and my arms out, in my bloodstained Sunday's best,

And you'd hold me; I'd remind you who you are under their shell.

I'd walk through hell for you, let it burn right through my shoes

These soles are useless without you

Through hell for you, let the torturing ensue;

My soul is useless without you...

And if they send a whirlwind, I'd hug it like a harmless little tree.

Or an earthquake, I'd calm it, and I'd bring you back to me.

And I'd hold you in my weak arms like a first born.

I'd walk through hell for you, let it burn right through my shoes,

These soles are useless without you.

Through hell for you, let the torturing ensue;

My soul is useless without you...

Through hell for you,

through hell for you,

Without you, without you...

Now I've walked through hell for you.

What's an adventurer to do,

But rest these feet at home with you?" As I strummed the last note, I let my eyes flutter open. I met Spencer's gaze for a moment before turning away sheepishly.

"I-I didn't know you could sing too."

"Well, I've always thought it was little easier to learn the song if you I knew the words. But that's just me." I shrugged.

"Derek," he said softly. "You're really good."

"Thanks."

"I wish I could play like that. I'm just book smart."

"I could teach you!" I said way too eagerly. What is with me today? I really need to learn to think before I speak.

"W-Well, I don't wanna be a bother…" He said apprehensively.

"Nah, think of it as pay back for you tutoring me.." SHUT UP!

"W-Well, um, okay, thank you!" He sounded a little breathless.

"Wanna get started?" Okay, I give up.

"W-What?"

"Yea, since we're taking a break, might as well."

"O-Okay."

"Do you know any of the chords, how to read music?"

"Yes and yes."

"Really?"

"I like Classical, it's a given but, that might just be me."

"But you know the chords to a guitar."

"Well, basically it A-F but as you know there are sub cords."

"Touché. And here I was thinking I would be the smart one here." I said playfully.

"Sorry?"

"Don't worry, kid, it was only a joke." Did I just call him kid?

"I'm not kid!" He pouted.

"You could be!" I retorted.

"Wow, you're funny." He said dryly.

"Yeaa.." He shot me a playful glare. "How about we get started on those lessons?" I suggested. I took the guitar and I spent a few minutes explaining things such as tuning. He sat there quietly, absorbing all the information up. "…Now, to make an 'A" cord you would put your fingers like this," I said, putting my fingers in the correct position. "Wanna try?" When he nodded I handed the guitar over to him. I watched as his face twisted in concentration, trying to get his fingering right. After a few moments of trying over, and over, again he looked up to me with silent, pleading eyes. I leaned in a little closer, fixing the position of his fingers, trying, in vain, to ignore the electricity I felt from his touch. I heard his breathe hitch, as did mine, and I looked up to meet his eyes. They were darker, something hidden within them. As much as my mind screamed at me, I just couldn't tear my gaze away. We stayed like that for God knows how long, just staring into each other's eyes. Before I could think, I felt myself leaning in, ignoring my mind, listening to the burning need coiling within my stomach. I leaned in more and more until I felt his soft, gentle lips connect with mine.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know, I'm evil :D. Any who, I know Derek likes Jazz (right?) and Spencer likes Classical but, they're teenagers so that couldn't be the only music they liked. Now, the taste might be bias since...well, I listen to all the bands mentioned. I made Derek...I don't even know and Spencer, well, he was hard to pick. I gave him sort of a tortured soul, teenage angst taste. Oh, and the song Derek sung was A Walk Through Hell by Say Anything. Enjoy :)
~Destiny