Trapped

cinq

Zalen was going to kill him. Ryker knew that, knew he’d probably just lost the fragile truce they’d established last night. He’d tried, that first night, to take the chains off but there had been more and more elves brought in. The guards made rounds at random times now and he couldn’t risk it. He had continued to risk it for the last week but he’d finally realized he couldn’t keep doing it. Zalen was probably waiting well into the night for Ryker to return and take the chains off but he hadn’t dared to show up.

Ryker couldn’t think of a way to tell Zalen they’d be staying on from now and Marcus had made him leave early last night. He’d been convinced his best friend was starting to dwell too much on the experiments again, as Ryker was prone to do, and there was no way the scientist could have told him he was growing attached to his subject. It’d been a long time since Ryker had been stupid enough to do that, feeling responsible for one of the women he had been working on. She’d been older, with a family, when she’d been taken. As soon as the higher-ups notice he semed a bit fond of her, she’d been drug out into the main room and shot in front of him.

He had been younger then and she’d only been his third patient. It was their tough-love approach, according to Mr. Kahl, of keeping things under control. Marcus would have found a way to get the elf out of his lab if he’d thought it was endangering Ryker at all. No matter how much he wanted to help the elves, Marcus would always make his friends his priority.

Ryker took a deep breath before pushing the door open to his lab. He made sure to lock the door, and put the proper security on the window so that no one could see into the room. It was completely private this way and, when he had to face Zalen’s inevitable rage, it’d be a lot more discreet. Even after he’d completely cleaned his lab and prepared for the day, something he normally did while Zalen was in the room, he didn’t feel ready to face the elf. The guilt was crushing, knowing that Zalen would completely bloke him out now. It was better that way though he figured.

“Zalen,” Ryker called quietly as he pushed open the door that led to Zalen’s cell. He wandered down the small hallway to where the door was, unsurprised to see Zalen’s eyes, grey and angry, searching for him. Seeing Zalen half on the ground, looking almost unable to stand however, was surprising. He looked like he was injured, one hand hardly holding up his body while the other was curled over his chest.

“Bastard,” the elf hissed, suddenly lunging for the scientist through the bars. One of his hands made it through before the chains yanked on his neck, stopping him for a moment, before he shoved forward again. His eye were narrowed as he growled, suddenly animalistic, and Ryker could see a flash of what the authorities said, that the elves were animals.

“Zalen, Zalen calm down,” Ryker urged quietly, stepping closer. The elf seemed feral as he reached for Ryker, eyes wide and his breathing harsh. When the scientist risked another step forward he could see a gash in the arm Zalen had been favoring though it’d been forgotten in his fury. He cursed, knowing the attack would have only made it worse. He needed the elf to calm down so he could actually treat it.

“If you don’t calm down I can’t let you out of there,” he urged, stepping closer. Zalen shook his head, lost, as he continued thrashing towards Ryker as much as his cell would allow. “Please,” he begged. “If you don’t I’m going to have to use a sedative and I know you don’t want that.” Zalen didn’t even slow his attack on the bars, angry and desperate.

Ryker sighed, walking back into the lab. He quickly pulled out one of the already prepared needles before going back in. It was made smaller than most, something he could keep hidden in his palm. It made it easier to administer, when the subjects were unsuspecting. He walked back into the room, wishing he didn’t have to. Ryker hated doing this to anyone, let alone Zalen. He had to though, if he wanted the elf to calm down at all.
“I’m going to let you out, ok Zalen?” Ryker asked, hoping he’d calm down at the assurance. “I just need you to take a deep breath and calm down a little first.”

“Let me out!” he screamed, furious. “I hate you! I hate you all,” Zalen screamed. Ryker had never truly been afraid of him until now. If Zalen got out, Ryker was almost positive the elf would have wholeheartedly tried to kill him.

“Zalen, please don’t do this. Be rational.” Ryker moved closer to the cell as he talked, discouraged by Zalen’s constant fury. He didn’t even seem to tire. Ryker watched, catching the pattern of the elf’s movement before lunging forward. He caught Zalen’s arm, shocked by how frail it seemed after even just a week, and yanked it straight out. With practiced movements Ryker slid the needle into his subject’s arm, the spring-loaded top immediately injecting the serum.

“No!” the elf screamed, hand yanking back so that Ryker dropped the needle. Zalen caught the scientist around his neck, starting to squeeze, but the younger man didn’t even try to fight him off. It took only a few more seconds before Zalen’s grip loosened, his hand falling away. Ryker slipped into the cell just as Zalen let out a quiet groan, arms slipping under the elf to lower him to the ground. His eyes flickered for only a moment before they closed.

“Ryker!” Zalen’s choked hiss had the scientist spinning around, afraid the elf had broken free of the restraints that bound him to the hospital bed. The elf’s nose wrinkled, face twisted in a snarl, as he fought to escape the leather ties that kept his arms at his sides. “I’ll fucking kill you when I get out of here.”

“Zalen stop. Please stop this,” Ryker pleaded as he walked to the elf. He reached out for the elf, trying to calm him down, only to incite him further. “I know you’re upset but I need to see your cut. It’ll get infected.”

“So what? I’ll die like how many others of your test subjects? I’m nothing but a lab rat to you,” he snapped, furious. Slowly Ryker could see the heat leaving the elf’s eyes though as he finally ran out of adrenaline. He was still completely livid but he wasn’t hysterical anymore. The calmer he became the more pain Ryker could see on his face, eyes glancing towards his arm as he twitched, trying to reach for it. His limbs finally fell completely slack before he let out an ear-piercing scream. Ryker took a breath, trying to block out the terrible sound while feeling relieved that the room was so thoroughly sound proof.

“Easy,” Ryker said, keeping his touches feather-light across Zalen’s arm, trying to soothe the wound as best as he could. “Talk to me Zalen. What happened to you?”

“You,” he hissed out, half pain and half anger. “I hate you. I hate you,” he repeated, voice weak.

“I know you do Zalen, I know, but you need to let me help you. What did they do to your arm?” he asked, trying again.

“You kept me chained. I couldn’t fight it when they came because of that. I couldn’t do anything.” The elf was shaking though Ryker was nearly positive that it was absolute fury that had him that way and not fear. His skin glistened in the cold, fluorescent light, a sallow off-white that should have been far closer to tan than it was. The blond hair that had finally started to grow out was sweaty, sticking to his forehead, and making him look even more ill. Guilt welled in the scientist’s stomach and he felt like he was about to wretch.

“I have to now Zalen; they do random checks. Just breath and I can get your arm fixed up. I can tell it’s hurting you right now.” Ryker thought he was going to deny it, or at least add in another threat, but he took only a moment of hesitation to nod. It was concerning, knowing he’d given in so easily.

Ryker worked in silence, keeping his movements brisk and efficient. He didn’t want to keep Zalen in pain and trying to friendly wouldn’t work. The elf was still too fragile to do that, just a moment away from falling off the edge again. The wound on his arm was deep, laced with poison. It was a simple solution, one that wouldn’t kill but would inflict plenty of pain. The antidote for it was something Ryker always kept in abundance; it was such a commonly used substance here that it’d become habit to make a counterdrug.

“I’m sorry Zalen. I wish I could help you more than this. I’d do anything to make this better for you.” Ryker frowned, wishing that Zalen would speak, as he moved to each strap, loosening them. He kept the straps at the elf’s shoulders tight so that he wouldn’t be able to attack if he suddenly felt a rush of adrenaline again. “Please Zalen, just say something, anything.”