Some Go Mad

13.0

Rose didn't know how long she had been with the Doctor, but she did know that she didn't want to leave. The Doctor had shown her so many different places; places she had never even dreamed were capable of existing. She was amazed by everything he did and every place he took her. The life she was living with him was one she was incredibly unwilling to give up.

Every once in awhile, she would look at the pictures of her family she'd hung up in the bedroom Doctor had given her in the TARDIS and feel a pang of guilt. She missed them, she really did. But back home in London, she was being suffocated.

One day, as Rose was sitting cross-legged on the sofa in the front room of the hotel she and Doctor were staying at on a far-away planet, the Time Lord broke her concentration.

"Rose?" he asked.

The girl sighed, finishing the paragraph she was on in Pride and Prejudice - she was just getting to a good part, when Mr. Darcy gives his explanation letter to Elizabeth - and marked her page. She pushed her hair behind her ears and looked up at the Doctor. "Yeah?"

"We have gone all over the universe. I've showed you multiple planets and peoples. But there's still one thing we haven't done." His eyes were bright with that same sparkle Rose had seen so many times before.

"What's that?"

"Rose, I have a question to ask you."

"Ask away," the teenager said, smiling up at him.

He smiled back. "When do you want to go?"

Rose paused for a moment. She knew she wasn't asking her when she wanted to leave him, which she honestly had no answer to at that point. Over the weeks, months? (time was hard to keep track of when you were traveling with a Time Lord), she'd been with the Doctor, Rose had forgotten that the TARDIS was not only a space ship, but a time machine as well. The Doctor wanted to take Rose somewhere she'd never been. He wanted to give her something completely new. "When?" she asked, more a prompt to get herself thinking than anything else.

The Doctor nodded.

Rose thought. Millions of different time periods and events flew through her mind. She'd always loved history, though she knew that different regions of the world told different versions of the same tale. Maybe that's why she liked it so much. No matter what, people could never let go of what they believed in, even if it was wrong.

As far back as Rose could remember, her father had read her a huge volume of Edgar Allan Poe stories every night before she went to sleep. A bit morbid, yes, but she always loved them. Over time she came to have favorites, and would request them. When she got old enough to understand that Poe was a real person who had lived a real life, she did research on him and learned everything she possibly could about him. Along with Jane Austen, Poe skyrocketed to the top of Rose's favorite authors.

"You've a thought in your head, Rose," Doctor said. "I can see it. Tell me."

"Richmond, Virginia. September, 1849."

The Doctor's eyebrows arched above his eyes. "Poe?" he asked.

Rose smiled. "My dad always used to read me his stories," she explained. "I know, basically, everything about him. But there are still a few things that remain mysteries to everyone."

"What's that, Rose?"

"Where he disappeared to that September, and why he died."
♠ ♠ ♠
This is incredibly short, I know.
But it sets the scene for the next chapter, which I will have up on Wednesday!
It'll be full of excitement and adventure. :)
Stay tuned.

-Aleka.