Status: Active

Phantom Horse

Chapter 11

His expression turned from shock to disbelief, "How the hell did you do that horse?"

I just snorted in his face as my ear flickered behind me hearing movement, normally I wouldn't allow a stranger behind me and not being able to see them but for some reason I felt like the need to protect him from the guy and not let him get harmed. I stood my ground in front of I guy that I don't know what he could do to me for a boy I don't even know... I felt a light touch of a fingertip on my haunch and my skin quivered and it moved away. I moved my head slightly so I could just see the boy looking at me like he couldn't believe what he was seeing but also keeping an eye on the Jake guy.

"Wow..." I heard the kid breathe out.

"That’s the last wow you'll ever be hearing boy." Jake growled as he reached beside the stall that held me and grabbed a the lasso and started swinging it around above his head.

I whinnied nervously, I didn't want to get that stupid rope around my neck again I reared and turned around and started pushing the boy to move and started running to outside. I heard a yelp and looked back quickly to see Ballad had bit him and was now charging after us I smiled at him and when he caught up I grabbed him by the back of the neck and kept moving with the boy by my side looking back like he shouldn't be doing this but his feet kept moving and he lightly grabbed my mane to keep right there with me at a fast but slow enough jog so the boy didn't push himself too hard. When we saw the fence I lightly set Ballad on the ground and pushed myself off the ground and over the fence with Ballad squeezing through the fence and the boy did so too.

I galloped into the forest but made sure I didn't leave Ballad or the boy behind. I don't know why I have the feeling I should protect this boy. Even if he was kind he still worked at that place, he probably just needed the money and treats all the horses with respect. He has a kind aurora but everyone was some black aurora in them. We made our way into the deep pitch black forest and finally stopped when we thought that they might not find us. I don't think they would come too far into the forest, or they might've got lost.

It was dark and I'm pretty sure the only thing that made a distinct shape in this darkness was me, a pure white horse, practically glowing in the dark. A red and white fox underneath and a boy clutching on the safety of the mare's mane. I shivered as I looked around me. I couldn't see anything but the bare outline of trees and blackness. I felt a hand slide softly and lightly on my neck and I heard the whisper of the boy in my ear, "It's okay girl, there's nothing to worry about. The darkness won't hurt you."

I snorted lightly at him and shook my head and I just heard him chuckle, "Don't belive me now don't ya."

If there was light he would be able to see that I rolled my eyes at him. I wasn't that clueless. I then heard Ballad yip out, "Why did you bring this kid?"

"I don't know... I feel some what protective of him." I neighed quietly.

There came a silence then he yipped, "That's weird..."

"It's like how I feel like protecting him made me jump out and face the Jake guy."

"For some reason I have a feeling you're talking about me." The boy whispered quietly.

If I had eyebrows right now it would have rose, I turned my head towards him and shoved my muzzle into his chest pushing him slightly. He laughed and I shook my head at him. I picked up Ballad by the neck and made my way in the direction my instincts were telling me to go while cautiously making my way through the trees in out path. The twigs were snapping underneath our feet, paws, and hooves as we made our way through the forest while the shadows creeped towards us and tried to grasp us. The tree branches brazed against our sides like they were tying to keep us from leaving like lonely sad souls.

Making our way slowly through the forest for what felt like forever we finally started to see some light and slipped out of the dark creepy forest, that I silently hoped that we'd never have to go in again. I closed my eyes as the light touched my skin, making me wish it was summer again. But it's not it's the beginning of winter. Snow covered ground everywhere. I let out a sigh of relief and opened my eyes to see Ballad jumping around in the snow happily. And the boy was just watching the fox with curiosity that the fox wasn't running away from him or attacking.

I started to walk for home, I wanted to get far away from here. I'll just have to deal with the boy staying with me but I'd have to pretend I don't know him once I change back into human form when he's not around. I heard the little pitter patter of Ballad's feet pouncing on the white ground as he followed me and the boys feet softly making its way in my direction. The next thing I knew was that he was right beside me and clutching onto my mane. His aura came out in a black and green-ish color full of anxiousness and mixed emotions. He didn't know what was happening he was practically lost in thought.

On the way there the boy had still kept trudging along standing right beside me. Since it was beginning to snow again and I didn't want the boy getting cold I let him huddle up to me while Ballad shuffled alon on the other side still cautious of the boy. The boy had asked softly a few times where we were going and a snorted in response. He'd seriously ask a horse where the hell we're going. In case ya haven't noticed I'm a horse. I can't talk. Well, perpetually I can if I change. But then that would be against the magic law. No human is a loud to know who or what we are and know that we even exist magically in comparison to there world.

I sighed and a puff of white air escaped my mouth as we got closer and closer to my home and my acreages. I hope this kid doesn't know how to find my place and then know it was me because once I return him him in my other form I don't want him coming back. I can't attach myself to a human who I feel obliged to protect for some unknown reason. I can't. The more I get attached to someone the closer for them to find out what I really am.

My ears picked up a noise and swiveled in that direction to get a better sound of it. As soon as I heard the sound of hooves and the hollering of men I stopped in my tracks and looked in the direction I thought it was coming from. I couldn't exactly see them but I didn't want to and I knew Ballad heard them too because he took off. I turned to the boy and started nudging him a long. He was still confused to what was going on. I did't know how to explain to him that they were coming again and all I could do was neigh shrilly at him and keep looking in the direction which finally he caught on somewhat and started running after the fox and I started into a fast like canter so I wouldn't leave him by myself, I didn't have the courage to leave him by himself.

"Just leave me Phantom horse. You'll be better off just getting out of site. They'll probably be pissed at me but it's not like they would know we stuck together." The boy shouted to me.

I snorted and shook my head like he was crazy and he must have saw how stubborn I was that I wouldn't leave him because he sighed and tried again, "It's not me they're after. It's you. It's not like they're going to kill me ya know."

I rolled my eyes at that and he chuckled somewhat. He had a point. I don't think the guys would try and kill him but I still didn't want to leave him alone with them rotten chumps. Before I could register what the kid was doing his hand hit my hind quarters and I jumped automatically my senses taking the best of me and I took off towards the forest and halted to a stop when I was covered by the tree limbs and turned around instantly to see the Jake guy on a strong lean black stallion surrounding the boy with the rest of the guys and he dismounted him and took a step towards the boy.

-************************************************************************************-

The Boys POV

All of a sudden the mare tensed up and her ears flicked in each direction. Her head turned to look behind her and I noticed the fox and the mare halted at the same time and were looking in the same direction. The mare whinnied nervously and her eyes went wide. I knew something was wrong but I didn't know what it was at first. She seemed turned her head towards the fox and the fox took off towards the forest. The mare started nudging me along in the direction of the forest, I took up a fast jog but not where it'd wear me out because I knew I was going to need most of my energy.

She took up a soft rhythmic canter alongside me as we made our way towards the forest. I knew she could out run me in no time at all but she wouldn't leave my side fo some odd reason. She was a wild free spirited mare but yet she protected me. I could feel she didn't yet trust me but yet she looked like she didn't want me hurt. That's when I heard the neighs of the other horses and the shouting of the men. My eyes widened, if she didn't go she'd be caught again but this time it'd be my fault. I sighed and said, "Just leave me Phantom horse. You'll be better off just getting out of site. They'll probably be pissed at me but it's not like they would know we stuck together."

The mare just snorted and shook her head at me like I was insane. I chuckled slightly at that and said again, "It's not me they're after. It's you. It's not like they're going to kill me ya know."

The mares eyes showed laughter, like she actually understood what I've been saying. And let out a horsey laughter and kept by my side but she did seem to be thinking about something. I didn't want her to get caught because of me so I sucked in my breath and slapped in her the hind quarters. I hope she didn't take it against me. I would love to see that snow white mare again. She reminded me of the myth. As I watched her run smoothly towards the forest her strong front and back legs bunching up full of speed and her muscles showing and her long mane flowing behind her like silk and her tail streaming behind her in silky flames. The myth of the Phantom Horse who came once a year around the time of winter where she'd be hardly seen and could loose horses for who knows what reason. All we know is that the mare comes to battered down barns and the owners always get arrested. Well most of them.

I watched her, the Phantom disappear into the shadows of the forest. Then I was surrounded. My eyes widened, I hope they didn't see the mare. But what confused me is if they did why didn't the go after her instead. They surrounded me and I saw Jake, he was glaring at me. If looks could kill, yes, I know everyone uses that phrase but, hell, it's true. I inhaled shakily as Jake dismounted his black stallion which was standing high and proud. His nostrils flaring and his eyes intent on his surroundings.

Jake glared at me and grabbed me by the collar and angrilly shouted at me, "What the fuck do you think you're doing boy! You htink you can out smart me. I'm older and much more smarter than you."

"Never said I was. And, I've got a name Jake, not just boy." I growled back at him, I was tired of everyone calling me boy.

"So Aaron, who cares if you have a name or not. You're just a stable hands." Jake said and spit at the ground near my feet.

I glowered at him and spit in his face. I didn't care what he did to me as long as he didn't get the mare or the fox. It's another living soul so I didn't care if I got banged around so easily. Jake glared at me and let me go and wiped the spit off my face amd wiped it against his jeans. And looked at me and he looked even more pissed than he was before and angrily said, "Boy you are getting on my nerves!"

"So." I hissed back.

Jake then swing his arm back and before I knew it his fist connected with the side of my face. I bit my lip so hard it started to bleed and I closed my eyes as I felt the sting. I heard Jake growl and then another fist connected with my stomach and I doubled over in pain as it took my breath away. I groaned as my knees buckled underneath me and I fell on my knees on the ground in front of them. Most of them were laughing at me as I squinted through my eyes at them. That's when Jake went to kick me but a loud shrill echoed out and the sound of hooves making a rhythmic beat on the ground and Jake stopped in middle kick and I saw just behind him the white mare galloping towards us and my eyes went wide.

Jake must have noticed my eyes and turned around and saw her as she halted to a skidding stop right in front of him and reared up pawing at the ground with her ears back, her neck craned, and her nostrils flaring. She bared her teeth and let out a hoarse neigh and shook her head from side to side. Her eyes were full of anger and hatred. And disgust were standing out. Her hooves hit the ground and she snapped at Jake, close enough to bite his nose off. Jake laughed, "So beating you up kid sure gets this mare upset. Is she your secret little pet that you've been disappearing on us?"

"No. I just saw her when you brought her in." I hissed at him still clutching my stomach.

"Bullshit!" Jake hissed and turned towards me and slapped me across the face.

The necxt thing I knew was that Jake was on the ground and the guys were yelling and trying to move out of the way. I looked at Jake and he was on his back and the mare was standing over him. If she were a dragon her nostrils were flaring and I could just picture the smoke coming out from them and i could just picture her eyes red. But she was too much of a beauty to even be evil. Why was she so protective over me? Why was she so angry that he was beating me up? So many questions were popping in my head. She wasn't just any random mare. She wasn't dumb or just like any other horse I have ever seen or met. Something was different and it was like she actually cared about me...